Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

What Gives?

Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Gives?

Ok I'm really starting to get confused and haven't even bought my EVO yet. My 1st goal when I do get my EVO is to hit the 12s, this is something I wasn't able to achieve with my VR4 before I wrecked it (I was really close though) and this is something I hope to achieve quickly with my EVO. Yet it just seems that modifying an EVO is a lot more complicated than other cars. For instance the VR4 and other Twin Turbos, had a pretty simple bolt on power formula- Exhaust, Downpipe, Intake, Boost Controller, and Air/Fuel Controller. This does not seem to be the case with the EVO, where I have seen so much variety in mods it's amazing. Some cars have stock exhaust and run low 13s and high 12s, some have upgraded fuel pumps and some don't, some have upgraded cams and some don't, some have 3 modifications and run 12s and some have 6 modifications and run 13s. Some cars have almost the exact same modfications from different aftermarket companies and run competely different times and what get's me the most is the MPH. I mean a crappy driver will get a crappy time but his or her trap speed should be somewhat similiar to the good driver, not a huge 6MPH+ differences I'm seeing. The Dyno numbers also show the differences, how can someone with half the mods put out similiar power figures. I mean in my VR4 I may have not been the best driver, and another VR4 with less mods might run faster due to superior driving, but I'd sh*t my pants if he or she put out higher dyno numbers than I and question the quality of the products on my car. So basiacally what are the real power adders, if I want to run 12s what are the must, Cams? Re-Flash? Exhaust? Fuel Pump? Why isn't their a simple formula to these cars? I'm just worried that I put all this money in my car, and drive to the best of my capabilities and run 13s all day and night, while some guy with less mods, pulls up to the track and runs a 12 with crappier 60FT times and driving. Sorry so long.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The formula is simple.... the quality control on the cars when they were built and the quality of GAS run in them makes a huge difference in times and dyno numbers. Also, different kinds of dyno's give different numbers. A dyno dynamics dyno will read way lower than a dynojet dyno or a dynapack dyno. Here is a link to a conversion programe for dyno numbers curtesy of Shiv at Vishnu:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/How_Big_...Horsepower.xls

Keith
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't really compare dyno numbers from different dyno's....also an Evo was just not meant to be run on 91 octane... I'm sure i could gain quite a bit of power on 94 octane...