EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing-16/)
-   -   My New Stock-Turbo Ralliart Record (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing/590421-my-new-stock-turbo-ralliart-record.html)

03chi-town0Z Dec 25, 2011 01:04 PM

My New Stock-Turbo Ralliart Record

Ok, not so new, since it happened in November, but I'm just now getting a chance to upload the video, so... Well, if nothing else, this is a personal-best record for myself, but to my knowledge, this should also be the quickest 1/4 mile time ever run by an 09+ Lancer Ralliart (still using the stock turbocharger) in the world. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

All disclaimers aside now, I'd like to give a HUGE THANKS to Devin and Boostin Performance for making this all possible. I can install parts and drive the car myself, without much issue, but without his AWESOME tuning and continued support, this never would have came together. Devin has been there with me from the very beginning of my obsession, through a move to a new shop of his own, and he's put up with my stubborn assed refusal to upgrade my turbo no matter how little it has to offer. I keep telling him "It's still got plenty of room to improve", and he keeps shaking his head and laughing, but somehow we keep making this car faster and faster, achieving things people never would have expected from the little Evo "wannabe".

The car is a 2009 with a stock engine (block/head/cams/turbo) and is actually rather simply put together with just the right combination of great bolt-on parts. I especially want to thank Chad Block from CBRD for helping me out on this end with some amazing products, specifically designed at his shop for the Ralliart platform, that no-one else in the scene was even making at the time. The Ralliart is a niche "baby-brother" market that generally follows behind what is being done with the EvoX, but Chad has dedicated research specifically towards the RA platform and it has definitely proven itself here.

So, here's the timeslip:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...7569-proof.jpg

And the video to back it up:
http://youtu.be/1gBji2ZsJik

Like I said, the car is basic bolt-ons (custom intake, uicp, fmic, licp, 3" tbe, 3-port, tranny cooler fan) and some weight reduction (race weight ~3400 with me inside) still only running 93 octane pump gas. There is definitely more to be done on this car, and I won't stop until I have an 11 sec pass lit up on that board!

I'd love to hear some feedback on what you all think of this so far. Thanks for checking it out! {thumbup}

Widoww Dec 26, 2011 07:38 AM

Amazing 60ft lol..my x sst only ever done a 1.85 lowest 60ft ending with a 12.2. Definitely have a bunch of x"s in your area that need to be weary of you haha. I know it would suck being spanked by a RA with boltons :)

Gj man and get that into the 11s. Mind me asking what exactly you've taken out of re car for weight reduction.

03chi-town0Z Dec 27, 2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Widoww (Post 9847336)
Amazing 60ft lol..my x sst only ever done a 1.85 lowest 60ft ending with a 12.2. Definitely have a bunch of x"s in your area that need to be weary of you haha. I know it would suck being spanked by a RA with boltons :)

Gj man and get that into the 11s. Mind me asking what exactly you've taken out of re car for weight reduction.

HAHA, thanks man. This car definitely takes a lot of people by surprise. 11's are gonna be tough, though. I'm almost completely maxing out the tiny little stock snail already, so there may be only a few hp left to gain and/or free-up, and after that it's all going to be about weight and aero.

So far it isn't a whole lot of major stuff, but a lot of little bits that have added up. I'm running JDM EvoX front and rear crash beams. I've removed a whole lot of un-used brackets and hardware like the rear tow-hooks, rear child-seat anchor brackets, center seat-belt, head-rests, a bunch of other misc. unnecessary brackets, hangers, and hardware under the hood. I've switched out to a 14lb mini-battery, and have aluminum i/c piping and the 3" straight-through exhaust is way lighter than stock. I also am running 17" RPF-1's (16lb) with 245/45 Hankook V12 (24lb) tires that weigh ~10lb (each) less than stock wheels/tires. I've also managed to lose ~15lb, myself (down to 170), so there's always that too, lol

At the track I take out all of the seats, except for the driver seat (which is still OEM, so there's still weight to be lost there), all the usual crap from the trunk, and that's pretty much it for track prep.

The car still has full interior accessories, a/c, radio and speakers (all that kind of stuff), all wiring, panels, dash, sound deadener, etc. so it's got some weight to lose there. I've got plenty of things figured out that will shed some more weight from the car, but a lot of it involves more money and that means longer time until I can get it where I want it to be. I'm sure there's plenty that I've left out, too, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

pbassist12 Dec 27, 2011 06:24 PM

Nice job Kyle! Finally got my idea to get the thread going with your awesome times!

hanz17 Dec 28, 2011 08:00 PM

Congrats Kyle...I knew with all your mods you could do it {thumbup}

El-Diablo Dec 29, 2011 06:48 AM

Launch Method

hi Kyle are you running stock internals on the turbo or a CBRD set up?

What's your launch method?

B.J.@ToxicFab Dec 29, 2011 06:52 AM

Awesome, great job man!

03chi-town0Z Dec 29, 2011 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been a tough time, trying to prove the worth of the "not-evo" to some people :lol:

B.J.: I should be getting ahold of a spare manifold for the RA (finally) relatively soon, and when I do, I'll be in-touch so I can send it your way and see what you toxicfab artists can do about putting together a tubular option for me {thumbup}

El-Diablo: The turbo is still completely original from the factory, un-touched at the moment, though I feel like it's going to at least need a good port job to go along with a modified manifold and O2 housing setup real soon (all still in the planning stage, of course, coughseeabovecough ;) ). I'd like to try and reach my goal without modifying the internals, because then it would really be no different than people saying that their FP (whatever color of the rainbow) turbo is still a stock X turbo. In the end, I do plan on finally upgrading to the RAD, but I really wanna push this thing as-is first.

As far as launching goes, it's hold the brake and tap, tap, tap around 2500-3k until the yellows start to drop. Then hold the pedal to the floor until the last yellow lights up, quickly let out the brake and away you go. I'm sure you know, be careful not to hold the brake-torque too long or you'll disengage the clutches and bog the run. I posted a couple of examples here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...alliart-3.html
Post #38 shows a decent launch. Post #40, not so much.

Boostin Perform Dec 29, 2011 07:55 PM

Congrats!!

ToxicFab Dec 29, 2011 08:16 PM

Very nice! Looking forward to the project!

Dynotech Tuning Dec 29, 2011 08:28 PM

World's quickest? You mean entire World? Commeeoaannnn the World is so big? {thumbup}

-Brian

bwanner Jan 3, 2012 09:06 PM

you should switch to e85, should get you to a very low 12 atleast

03chi-town0Z Jan 5, 2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning (Post 9854955)
World's quickest? You mean entire World? Commeeoaannnn the World is so big? {thumbup}

-Brian

Awwwww, man, can't I just revel in my glory for a little longer? :lol: Actually, it's almost more fun to have somebody keeping up with or doing better than you, more motivation to push forward. I'd love to see someone else doing what I'm doing to keep the (dare I say it?) "spirit of competition" alive. lololol :lol:

Originally Posted by bwanner (Post 9864562)
you should switch to e85, should get you to a very low 12 atleast

That's going to be the very last thing I do. It's definitely going to happen, but the way the car is being pushed already, there's really not much more this dinky little turbo has to give. The e85 will help us play around a little more with the tuning, but even so, I'd imagine that the change is going to be minimal at this point. I'd rather have everything I want on the car, before switching over, to be able to quantify the maximum effect of swapping to e85, to see how "worth it" it really is in my situation.

Dynotech Tuning Jan 5, 2012 06:34 AM

I bet you'll get a fair amount more out of it with E-85 at the same boost you are running now. It will be worth the fuel system investment for any future mods anyhow.

-Jamie

tougewreck2 Jan 23, 2012 10:03 PM

Nice work