EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing-16/)
-   -   Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing/76488-should-modded-evo-beat-cobra-roll.html)

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:02 PM

Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll?

He posted on Evolutionfourms.com but I cant link it because you have to register...so I'll quote him...

He said...

OK...I have a Dynoflashed EVO with some goodies....produced about 300whp on a Dynapak Dyno.
I raced a Mustang Cobra from a second gear roll tonight....Not sure of the year of if he had any mods and don't think it was supercharged cuz I didnt hear it whine...

From a second gear roll, I pulled a half a car on him then fin 3rd he was almost a car length in front of me

I really thought I would blow him away!!! oh well, better luck next time I guess

Does this sound right?

bpclements Apr 17, 2004 11:23 PM

I know a stock 03 supercharged Cobra will put down 330ish on a dyno-pack dyno with 91 octane. He might have had some mods on their too. If he did those things can be super fast with just the basic bolt-ons, i.e. pulley, exhaust, intake. You gotta remember too that V8's produce a very flat torque curve and alot lot of it. Good run though. From a stop I think you can beat him, but on a roll he's definitely got an advantage over your setup right now.

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:28 PM

Hey man... are you the blue evo that was on the Tappan zee bridge? If that was you, I was the cobra you raced. let me know.

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:33 PM

Actually... the stock Cobras will put down around 350 WHP, and with intake + catback, 400 whp. the 03/04 cobras are VERY easy to mod, and can get 500 whp very easily.

If that was you, then you probably pulled at first BECAUSE you were in second. I was in third gear at approximatly 3800 rpm at 60 mph. I should have went to second gear... That would have put me in a better powerband. When you shifted, I was just at 6000 rpm and was pulling good. But there was traffic ahead so I never got a chance to shift to 4th. I was stock except for an Intake.

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:36 PM

Originally posted by ilumo
Hey man... are you the blue evo that was on the Tappan zee bridge? If that was you, I was the cobra you raced. let me know.

No it wasnt me but I do have a Blue EVO :) The race ws against a Black Mustang Cobra....Not sure what year though. I know the newer ones are Supercharged and have 390HP...but I dont think it ws a new one

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:38 PM

Even with 300whp the EVO should not beat a Cobra from a roll? even if it waf like the 320hp models?

Then again, with not knowing the mods it might of had...or at least HOPE it had :)

trance Apr 17, 2004 11:43 PM

i think it all depends on how fast you are going in second gear

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:46 PM

ahhhh... if it was anything besides the 03 cobra, you should have beat it. A stock cobra anyway.... it's pretty hard to mod those N/A cobras. Stock they have like 280 whp, and even with intake exhaust mods, its only 310-320 or so. So with 300 hp, you should whoop him from a stop, and be pretty even in a roll. 1.6 60 ft times rule!

btw, did it look like this?
http://www.2pugs.com/Cobra/SIG.JPG

thats an 03

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:52 PM

Yea it did look like that...as far as I could tell...it was dark out. I do remember the COBRA lettering and the spoiler looking like that...

Funny though...2 Blue EVOs and 2 Black Cobras racing the same night in different states....I am in PA by the way

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:01 AM

Yeah those Cobra's are nice. I wouldn't underestimate them. That's why I'm going with a turbo kit in the future. But none the less, the Cobra might pull harder on a straight, but on a nice track the Evo would come out ahead with it's better grip around the turns. They are both fun cars. It just depends on what you like to do I guess.

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 12:01 AM

actually, I have a blue cobra, but it looks exactly like that, but just blue ;) same exhaust. yea, I was looking to see who I raced... wish we would have had more room to open it up. That turbo spooled up pretty quick for him. I just saw a monster sized gauge in front of the streering wheel, and a big exhaust. I dont know what mods he might have had.

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:15 AM

You gotta admit though that they are nice little 4 cylinders and get pretty decent gas mileage, :D . I average 20 in the city and 27 on the highway.
What's the gas mileage like on the Cobra's?

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 12:21 AM

:crap: jeez... dont ask... ;) I guess normally, if i were driving mildly, I would get 16/23, but lately, since I just got the exhaust installed... {devil} 5/15?? haha

but yea, the EVOs are nice cars... I looked into getting one before the Cobra. Gotta love those Eclipse engines... :p

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:23 AM

Well 16/23 ain't to bad. That's what I would get in my 2000 V6 S10, LOL on a good tank, LOL.

MrBonus Apr 18, 2004 08:01 AM

My '01 Cobra ran 13.59@104.5 bone stock. A 300 WHP Evo should eat it alive.

If it were an '03, the Evo wouldn't stand a chance.

simevo Apr 18, 2004 08:10 AM

It's not hard to beat a non supercharged SVT Cobra if you have mods on the Evo. I beat a modded 98 Cobra pretty easy from a rolling start from a stop light.
I don't think I have a chance from a rolling start against the new Cobra, they got POWER and extra 4 Cylinders.

CleveBrownsFan Apr 18, 2004 08:11 AM

Originally posted by MrBonus

It did look like the pic on the other page, so I am HOPING it was a newer one as my ego couldn't take it if it was older one :lol:

evotomig Apr 18, 2004 09:31 AM

Originally posted by MrBonus

...a stock or lightly modded EVO, that is :spin:

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 11:23 AM

Originally posted by evotomig

...a stock or lightly modded EVO, that is :spin:

Then you don't want a stock or lightly modded terminator (03/04 cobra) either. Most of the terminators you race will have atleast intake and catback, which gives roughly 50 whp. Now thats bang for the buck. :spin:

CarPhoto.net Apr 18, 2004 11:30 AM

A crobra would kill it from a roll. The turbo lag would cause you to lose EVEN if you had equal HP. After you factor in drivetrain loss your done for sure. You would need at least 30 MORE hp to beat the cobra from a roll. 360 to the wheels.

evotomig Apr 18, 2004 04:30 PM

Then you don't want a stock or lightly modded terminator (03/04 cobra) either. Most of the terminators you race will have atleast intake and catback, which gives roughly 50 whp. Now thats bang for the buck. :spin:

Agreed. I do repect the 03 Cobra,

However, the point of the discussion is: Can an EVO beat a Cobra, (SC) lets say.

The answer is YES.

Carphoto,

Some of us do have 360+ hp to the wheels :drool:

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 06:55 PM

Actually the question was... Should a modded EVO (300 whp) beat a cobra (SC)... in that case, no. If you have 360 whp, then yea, you should be able to take a stock one on. Especially from a dig... But like I said, you won't find too many "stock" cobras around... Most of them have atleast intake and exhaust (400whp). But if you really want to beat one, just use that awd dump and get your 1.6 60 ft, and race till 60.. you'll embarass anyone with that tactic.. ")

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 07:50 PM

You gotta remember also that an Evo only weighs 3260 and a Cobra weighs 3665. That's a 405 pound difference. I think if they had equal power then the Evo would win due to it's lighter weight. Depends on how fast they go up to also. The Cobra would have a better top end.

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 09:02 PM

yea.. I took that into account... The Cobras are HOGs, with their big iron block and IRS. yukk.

bishiboy Apr 18, 2004 09:10 PM

What is the top end of a Cobra (SC)? Does it have a 155mph gov?
I know my speedo has read 166 mph many mods ago.

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 11:13 PM

yea... stock it has a 155 mph governor, but nothing a chip flash won't fix. Stock it should go up to 170 mph. With a few mods...+++

kdogg Apr 19, 2004 06:08 AM

Hey Cobra guys, aren't there non-supercharged versions of Cobra's out there? I always watch out for the "SVT" on the Mustang {thumbup} .

An EVO will need some muscle to "roll" with an SVT Cobra. From a standstill and stock vs stock, it would almost be even.

ilumo Apr 19, 2004 08:07 AM

Unfortunately, yea, the previous cobras (<03) were all Naturally Aspirated... With all the basic boltons, the car is still around 300-320 whp. A mildly modded EVO will most likely take that on from a stop, and from a roll... even? I hate to say it, but in stock form, mustangs have been slow... until they came out with the S/C Cobras and Mach1's. Modded is another story though, because anything can be made fast when modded, and the mustangs have a HUGE aftermarket.

btw: the new cobras have different hood, different front bumper, different rear bumper, different rockers panels, diff spoiler... so they look pretty different from all the mustangs.

509EVO Apr 19, 2004 08:34 AM

My friend in Phx, Arizona builds turbo kits for cobra's and cobra R's. He just finished one while I was visiting and all I can say is {OMG} . The turbo he put on that cobra R is insane. The car has to be pushing close to 900 whp. Maybe even 1000 whp. I have a pic of it with my car in my pictures. If anyone drives up on a Cobra "R" look out. They kick ass being stock and once u mod them they will snap your neck.

Nad1370 Apr 19, 2004 04:40 PM

my friend just raced an 30/04 cobra on a highway , the cobra had an exhaust from what he told me ( maybe more? ) they were about even up to 150-155 . Neither of them couldn't pull each other after 3 tries so I guess it was an even raced. my friends Evo just ran 11.92@116 his quickest . all other times are in the 12.08 - 12.22 114 - 116mph range . he told me he is pushing 360-370 whp.

Cobras are nasty( 03/04 ) mod them and their even nastier
Evo's are well rounded cars. Mod them right and they'll eat anithing on the road. twisties or even long straights . road race a Cobra and it ain't even a challenge.

eviljai Apr 19, 2004 05:41 PM

nad1370, wht mods does ure friend has on his evo? thanks

Nad1370 Apr 19, 2004 06:32 PM

turbo back no cats 3'
ams mbc set at 21-22psi
ams fmic
rc 720cc injectors
super afc street tuned wide baned O2
open air intake
forge recirc ( blue spring )
HKS 272 cams
walbro 255 GS342

And I think he ran 100 octane on those runs

en1gma19 Apr 19, 2004 06:43 PM

it's good to see a cobra owner who doesn't have his head up his ass.....i am not a big mustang fan, but the 03 cobras are beasts!!! respond very well to mods...a friend had one with just intake, headers, exhaust, and some suspension stuff that ran an 11.1 on street tires! i can cross off the turbo AWD sedan, and now a big-ass V8 is next on my list...

ilumo Apr 19, 2004 10:44 PM

Yea... my head is definately not up my ass ;) I am not really a fan of domestics, unless they are the more upscale ones (corvette,viper,cobras)... If it were a normal mustang, I think I would have passed. When I was car shopping, I had 2 criteria... It had to be able to fit people in the back, and it had to have forced induction... the former for practicality, and the latter for ease of modding! ohh and rwd or awd, NO fwd! So i was down to STI, EVO, or COBRA... I test drove them all, and in the end, even though I knew I would get ragged on by all my import buddies... I had to go for the S/Ced V8. The ease of modding and the power was all there... The sheer performance made me overlook the outdated interior, and the heavy ass body, and the ford nameplate.
On the contrary to what a lot of you guys think, the cobra handles VERY well on road courses. With a few suspension mods (subframe/coilovers up front), it is pretty damn awesome... The oversteer is crazy on the car, but it is very very predictable, and neutral... Maybe thats why the cobras have won so many road races... but its out there in the twisties, where you dont feel as "secure", and dont want to mess up powering out of a corner, when the mustangs lose to the awds and smaller nimbler handlers.

CarPhoto.net Apr 19, 2004 10:47 PM

{thumbup} :apimp:

Originally posted by evotomig

Agreed. I do repect the 03 Cobra,

However, the point of the discussion is: Can an EVO beat a Cobra, (SC) lets say.

The answer is YES.

Carphoto,

Some of us do have 360+ hp to the wheels :drool:

Yea I agree 100%. I beat cobras myself. I was simply stating what evos need to beat them consistantly. Since we have AWD drivetrain loss we do need a little bit more HP and many of us already have plenty of HP :beer:

I did the power to weight ratio calculation and you would need 360 to the flywheel to beat a cobra from a roll.

evotomig Apr 20, 2004 04:35 AM

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

Yea I agree 100%. I beat cobras myself. I was simply stating what evos need to beat them consistantly. Since we have AWD drivetrain loss we do need a little bit more HP and many of us already have plenty of HP :beer:

I did the power to weight ratio calculation and you would need 360 to the flywheel to beat a cobra from a roll.

:headbang: :beer:

ilumo Apr 20, 2004 07:08 AM

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

;) dont forget to explicitly state what type of cobra you are talking about, because I think you are referring to a 03/04 cobra, which in reality has 360+ whp (~410 crank).
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ts&pollid=1120

So you might need a tad more hp than 360 to the flywheel. Remember that the stock cobras run traps of 110+, so you had better do that too if you want to keep up in a roll, especially if you lose the advantage of the awd launch.

masterevo Apr 20, 2004 07:28 AM

Originally posted by simevo
It's not hard to beat a non supercharged SVT Cobra if you have mods on the Evo. I beat a modded 98 Cobra pretty easy from a rolling start from a stop light.
I don't think I have a chance from a rolling start against the new Cobra, they got POWER and extra 4 Cylinders.

True, it's more like this: they got 4 extra cylinders and a supercharger.

I raced an 03/04 modded cobra this weekend. Well, you guys already know the outcome. I lost... But not by much. He got me by a car length when we hit 4th gear. That's not bad for slightly modded evo. I didnt even laugh, but so did he. We both took it easy until 2nd. I know a friend on this forum beated a modded 03 cobra that can hang with a 650whp supra. And this is no bs, there is a bunch of supras owner and evo owners that witness the race. maybe if he saw this post, he'll reply. I love that spool up sound of the SC, really nice... First time I ever raced an SC cobra. Nice... {thumbup}

ilumo Apr 20, 2004 08:09 AM

Originally posted by masterevo

True, it's more like this: they got 4 extra cylinders and a supercharger.

I raced an 03/04 modded cobra this weekend. Well, you guys already know the outcome. I lost... But not by much. He got me by a car length when we hit 4th gear. That's not bad for slightly modded evo. I didnt even laugh, but so did he. We both took it easy until 2nd. I know a friend on this forum beated a modded 03 cobra that can hang with a 650whp supra. And this is no bs, there is a bunch of supras owner and evo owners that witness the race. maybe if he saw this post, he'll reply. I love that spool up sound of the SC, really nice... First time I ever raced an SC cobra. Nice... {thumbup}

{pcfreak} Hey, if you use that logic then... Hey, you have AWD, and you have a lighter car. Imagine if the cobra had awd, weighed 3200 lbs... how devastating would that be? Run what you brung!{pick}

Good death? And yes... no one ever said the cobras were bulletproof... they can be killed... and im sure more than a handful of EVOs have had snake soup for dinner.

TURBODAWG Apr 20, 2004 08:24 AM

I had a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. I had a 3" Dynomax catback, Magnaflow X-pipe with cats, Conical Air filter, and Amazon Racing diablo chip. My car ran a best of 12.25 @ 117 mph. This time was faster than most others with upgraded pulleys (higher boost). This was on the stock tires and 93 octane gas. Stock boost and pulley. That was it nothing else. With those mods, the car should have dynoed in the 430's whp.

My Evo with Helix downpipe, UR test pipe, B&B catback, HKS filter, Dynoflash, HKS AFR, Profec B Spec 2, 264 cams and upgraded clutch ran a 12.24 @ 118.4 mph. That was on race gas. I dont know how much HP the evo is making. I still was running the stock intercooler and stock injectors.

I would think that my Evo would give my old Cobra a run for the money In 4th gear it appears from the time slips that my Evo was faster from the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile traps. That means that in 4th from a roll, the Evo should have pulley slightly. That is just amazing to me. I never thought the Evo could have as much pull as my modified cobra. The cobra was a kick ass car. I don't care for many domestic cars, but that one was done right. BTW, I tore up a 405 hp Z06 at the track with the Cobra. That was funny to see that guys face. He got the jump off the line, but I reeled him in and beat him by 2 cars thru the traps.

Brian

ilumo Apr 20, 2004 08:44 AM

Wow... that sounds like a fast evo! Now what would it run with lower boost on street trim?

What happened to the cobra anyway? Again, nice runs :)

masterevo Apr 20, 2004 08:46 AM

{pcfreak} Hey, if you use that logic then... Hey, you have AWD, and you have a lighter car. Imagine if the cobra had awd, weighed 3200 lbs... how devastating would that be? Run what you brung!{pick}

Good death? And yes... no one ever said the cobras were bulletproof... they can be killed... and im sure more than a handful of EVOs have had snake soup for dinner.

There is no such thing as a "good death" bro. {thumbdwn} I hate to lose, but I'm not bitter about it either. Yes, the EVO have the weight/power ratio advantage and the AWD. But the AWD can only be used very limitedly if you want to keep your drivetran in one piece for a while. You can't just dump the clutch like any rwd cars, the evo takes great skill to deploy its awd power. On the same night, my friend's evo with cams embarrassed a modded Mach 1 with slicks. When I raced this evo, it feels like I raced that modded cobra. Same thing, by 4th gear, I'm history.

By the way, that same night, there were several cobras and z28/ss cruising with a bunch of EVOs (EVO speed club members) and alone side was a bunch of hondas.(hahahahh :lol: ) It's quite amusing to see domestics with imports. I didnt get a chance to run any of the cobras or the ss, but they didnt really impress me all that much. Now on the other hand, when we went cruising with the supras guys, I was totally impressed. Those supras are truelly beast on the street. So beautiful; yet so powerful. {thumbup}

TURBODAWG Apr 20, 2004 09:03 AM

Wow... that sounds like a fast evo! Now what would it run with lower boost on street trim?

What happened to the cobra anyway? Again, nice runs :)

Thanks.

I only ran about 21 psi on the top end, that is all the turbo would hold. The big thing with race gas is being able to lean the mixture out and still hold decent timing. I would spike to 23 or 24 psi for an instant and then would come right back down to 21. I wouldn't be able to run 21 psi and running that lean without the ECU pulling timing. I run about 5% leaned out on the street and 19% at the track when running race gas.

That run in the Evo was traction limited, believe it or not. I only got a 1.86 60' time. It would have been an 11.9x if I could have gotten a good 60'. I also had to slow shift 2nd and 4th due to shifting issues. I believe it will run 12.2x's on 93 octane with 19 or 20 psi if I can get a good 60' time. I have gotten 1.68 60' times, but haven't put together the right run yet.

I sold the Cobra about a year ago to a guy here in Mebane, NC. It was a good looking car. I got a good price out of it and got to keep it for 7 months. I decided I didn't need two high HP RWD cars. I already had a high HP Supra. I decided to sell it, I got a nice little 4 door family sedan now (aka EVO 8). Can get groceries, haul 5 people and still not get embarrassed at the local dragstrip. Can't beat that. If I get embarassed in it, I just drive home and get the Supra. If I get embarassed in the Supra, then I just go home and stay there. :ang2hap:

Brian

Scot Apr 20, 2004 11:50 AM

I am a little late to the party.... I have both an Evo (13.4 stock) and a 2003 Cobra (hi flow cats, cat back and K&N airfilter and it had a chip but no longer)....... I ran 12.4@116mph on stock crap tires.... I know have drag radials but not a chip.....

but... the question was "FROM A ROLL"...... I have not lost to anything other than a lighter mustang gt that was supercharged and putting out 420 rear wheel hp.... from 40mph he would catch me right at 110mph when I would switch to 4th gear...... but his car was 300lbs lighter with the same hp....(i probably have more torque though).

I would think that if an evo runs in the 11's they could keep up with my cobra from a roll.....anything else shouldn't....

TURBODAWG Apr 20, 2004 12:32 PM

Scot: What is your MPH at the 1/8 mile mark? What is it at the 1/4 mile mark? My Evo goes from 88 to 89 mph in the 1/8 and runs 118.7 at the end of the 1/4. I switch from 3rd to 4th right before the 1/8 mile. I am picking up ~30 mph from the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile traps. This is basically 4th gear all the way. I wonder how your compares.

Brian

evorent Apr 20, 2004 12:42 PM

boys! go to GRAVEL TEST {blob} :headbang: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken8masters Apr 20, 2004 12:48 PM

I raced a 02 Cobra N/A, which is my friends. He ran a 13.3 @ 105 bone stock. My evo is mostly stock, just an RMR intake. My best time was a 13.4 @ 103. The cobra now has a cold air, crank pulley, x pipes, and a dansai exhaust. I did a roll-on at about 20mph in second with him and I as well jumped like 1.5 cars on him, but at the end of my 3rd, he was out like a bat outta hell. It wasn't like he walkd away from me in 3rd, but more like ran away. I finished off all of 4th and he was still pulling away. I can't really imagine what the 03 will do to an evo. 390hp stock, less resistance from only being rear-wheel drive and forced induction. I dont think you could take a 03 roll-on even if you made 300hp to the wheels. That thing is geared like a mutha and finished the quarter half way through 3rd gear. Maybe off the line cause of the wheel spin. I ot a crap load of RMR products coming so I'm gonna shouw my friend up soon. You aint the only one out there getting romped on my Cobra's.

ilumo Apr 20, 2004 12:56 PM

i wish the 03 cobras only had to shift to 3rd in the 1/4, but unfortunately because of the 6 gears, you have to shift to 4th RIGHT before the end. dohhh... that really messes things up.
Also, there is no such thing as a 2002 cobra.. maybe a 1999, or a 2001, but no 2002. For the newer gen cobras, there 99,01,03,04.
If you've ever seen the torque curve for the 03, it looks like a line at peak torque from 2000 to 6000 rpm, which basically means linear HP increase from beginning to end of each gear... wham bam. But too bad they are lards.

Scot Apr 20, 2004 03:32 PM

I went from 88.85 to 115.63.... at the time I had a chip that allowed the car to run up to 6750 instead of the stock 6500 fuel cutoff.... i don't have that any more, so i would have to shift to 4th gear now........ it looks like your car should beat mine by a tiny amount.?

60' - 1.976
1/8 - 8.133 @ 88.85
¼ - 12.441 @ 115.63mph (rev limiter in 3rd)

Originally posted by TURBODAWG
Scot: What is your MPH at the 1/8 mile mark? What is it at the 1/4 mile mark? My Evo goes from 88 to 89 mph in the 1/8 and runs 118.7 at the end of the 1/4. I switch from 3rd to 4th right before the 1/8 mile. I am picking up ~30 mph from the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile traps. This is basically 4th gear all the way. I wonder how your compares.

Brian

TURBODAWG Apr 20, 2004 05:53 PM

Scot: I doubt I'll ever go to Typhon land, cause I don't know where that is. So I guess will have to call it a draw for now. Ha ha.

Brian

masterevo Apr 20, 2004 06:10 PM

Hey Ken8masters,
As for your case, I think that's alittle too dramatic. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also raced an 03 cobra on the high way. It is almost the same case as the one I raced from 2nd. He pulled on me bit by bit as be starting to go into 5th. But it wasnt a run away as you described. The stock evo really suck with the stock boost curve. With an ebc, it shouldnt be so dramatic. An 04 mach 1 has same power curve as earlier model N/A cobra. This Mach 1 is modded with really wide rear tires. My friend with cams ran away from him just like you described that cobra ran away from u. Hahahha.... :lol:

P.S both times my gf is with me and she is 118 bounds. Yea yea...only 118, but every pounds can be counted against you. And both times the cobra only have the driver. :beer:

WTP Mar 20, 2008 10:15 AM

Having experienced first hand, a ported blower & road course tuned, breaks I couldn’t even dream about stuffing on an EVO…475whp Cobra from a roll (few times/different speeds) go down in a cacophony of blower whine and exhaust sounds….against a stock exhaust, methanol injected IX SE it definitely says a lot about the 4G63 and its short gears and stock turbo potential… but, the most important after going past 1320ft, the Cobra shows its bite, and on the track with a proper setup, it lives up to its namesake, the EVO starts to hit the top of fourth and into fifth….the big dog Ford & its gearing and power potential makes it an almost unbeatable. From a dead stop the Cobra will just roast 1st and 2nd….cant beat the old launch control that is unless it’s set up for drag on slicks solid axel, etc. I love Ford’s, but its awesome knowing a stock EVO can give them a headache on the street, with 4 less cylinders. Sorry there are no times on the cars, just a group of friends racing for pride on a road course…and when its all said and done…there a hell of a lot faster than a Subaru.

TurboIX Mar 23, 2008 12:25 AM

Funny thing..The fastest Cobra I've seen was a NA running 12.5 at the track. The SC ones were running high 12s or low 13's..Have no idea if they were stock, I hope they were though.

I was running 12.4 with a Exhaust and Pill removal...Consitant on a bad clutch lol.

Soon2BEVO Apr 3, 2008 05:09 PM

A full bolt on stock EVO with some cams will walk on a stock 03-04 Cobra from a roll without a problem. I raced tons of them with all different combos of mods. Pullied ones with bolt ons are much faster and you will need a heavy load of mods on the stock turbo to hang. I used to have a dead heat race with this local guy's silver 04 which had pulley, catback, intake, and a tune. I had my 378whp setup at the time, he was 457rwhp, we would go from 45-50 rolls to about 125 with it being a dead heat each time. What saves us is that they are heavy as hell. My car was around 3100lbs and I was only 160lbs at the time. This kid was 250+ along with having a 3750+lb car. He used to tell people he pulled me which was always funny, however before I sold my car I was lucky enough to run into him when I just put on the FP GREEN and the methanol. Blew his doors off that time :-)... man I miss that...

EVIL_EVO_VIII Apr 3, 2008 05:26 PM

Ive beat a few modded cobras from a roll with my setup on the stocker :D

TIBOevo Apr 3, 2008 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by CleveBrownsFan (Post 887806)
He posted on Evolutionfourms.com but I cant link it because you have to register...so I'll quote him...

He said...

OK...I have a Dynoflashed EVO with some goodies....produced about 300whp on a Dynapak Dyno.
I raced a Mustang Cobra from a second gear roll tonight....Not sure of the year of if he had any mods and don't think it was supercharged cuz I didnt hear it whine...

From a second gear roll, I pulled a half a car on him then fin 3rd he was almost a car length in front of me

I really thought I would blow him away!!! oh well, better luck next time I guess

Does this sound right?

nitrous oxide is a hell of a drug!

mrdevo Apr 3, 2008 07:07 PM

Old thread but 315whp dynojet will let you hang with one until you shift to 5th if you have a 5 speed..

BadReputation Apr 3, 2008 07:10 PM

actually most svt cobra's are sc'd they run almost 400 hp.. with like 13 psi my friends vs other friends 2003 t/c 279 hp from a dig the cobra will get him only cus he has fwd but from almost any roll past 35 mph the cobra eats ****.. cobras are nice but i dontl ike regular gt mustang owners talk to much and need to be punched. thats just my opinion lil kids with there lx mustang and v6 mustangs

veilside prius Apr 27, 2008 09:40 PM

i raced a cobra coming home from a custom dyno tune a few months ago. Talk about timing!. I had put down 284whp on a dyno dynamics. From a 75mph roll I mashed it in 4th gear and kept up side by side with the cobra until I let off around 120 mph. Side by side the whole time. Cobra had a fatass passenger though and I was solo lol. guess it wasnt the supercharged 03-04

also raced a late model GT with exhaust ( dont know what else ) the other night.. dousche bag thought he was badass and tail gated my ass with both side lanes wide open. maybe cus is till have the dealership paper plates still on he thought I was stock (or he was just a douschebag)... from a 70 mph roll I pulled 1 1/4 car length up to 115 mph. kids and their mustangs ftl

mt057 Apr 28, 2008 11:36 AM

my bosses cobra has about 420whp and 475wtq. It is an 04 with only cold air intake, new pulley ( i think for his super charger) and a tune.

slicedbreadno2 Apr 28, 2008 12:24 PM

I've driven one and I must say it felt so weird driving one, but I couldn't stop grinning while I was driving it. The car is such a monster I absolutely love the 03/04 Cobras. That in the summer I may trade in one of My Evo's for one.

finallyevo Apr 28, 2008 02:27 PM

when i had my 03 cobra it had a ported blower, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, full exhaust, intake, tune, LFP heat exhanger, ET Streets, and I took a little weight out of it, and I was going 11.0 @ 127. All those mos cost about 4000 installed by myself and the car looked bone stock. So be careful. Even almost stock I went 12.3 @ 117 w/ only a pulley and a tune on stock tires.

nikkadanny Apr 30, 2008 01:40 PM

when i was making 312/292 with 3 people in the car i barely pulled a 03-04 cobra from a 40

ODUB Apr 30, 2008 04:17 PM

i ran a bone stock 03 cobra in my IX MR with just an hks carbon ti catback.... we ran from a second gear roll and basically when we shifted, the lead changed... at 120-130 or so i had him by about 1/4 car...his front bumper was at my driver door... we had to slow down there. honestly i thought i was going to get beaten pretty bad, but i didn't. at the track the best i've run with that setup is a 12.8 with a 1.8 60' so with a better 60' i know the car is capable of 12.6 or better.

vaflyboi757 May 8, 2008 04:25 AM

I let my wife drive one day and we jus happened to run into one @ a light.It was probably stock, with jus exhaust. It got her by 1 1/2 2 cars. She had a ****y launch doe, if i was driving i might have taken em. That mother****er couldnt stop spinnin tires

05 Evo VIII
cone intake
Full TBE
FP Green
22psi
untuned

gpintoevo9 May 8, 2008 03:37 PM

friend.. has.. baics bolts. ons.. cold air.. pullys full exaust. ported SC. ported intake, and exaust mani, bigger TB.. just to give you an example.. on his race tune.. he does high 10... and on the bottle... he does.. flat 10s.... not allowed to say his name..

PATRICK B. May 8, 2008 04:30 PM

Thought i'd share my info seeing as i just came from a fairly modded 03 Cobra.

Mine had a KB 2.6L running 21 psi of boost, SCT MAF, 60# inj, VP 100 Unleaded, 17 MT DR's, CB, X pipe w/o cats, and a CAI.

Best time before i sold her was 10.79 and quickest was 137 mph.

This was done in full street trim/weight and was driven to and from the track 2hrs each way.

Was able to get the 60's in the 1.5x range w/ just Steeda springs.

Now that i have the Evo i would say that to hang with a Cobra like mine you'd have to have a fair amount of mods to keep up.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68427

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ec2_2006_2.jpg

http://www.raccoonracing.com/pics/Sa...s/DSC_0231.JPG

http://www.raccoonracing.com/pics/Sa...s/DSC_0248.JPG

m4tt VIII May 8, 2008 04:34 PM

03/04 cobra = rape the evo from a roll
earlier stock cobra = evo should beat it

then there is always the driver mod