Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Is the Evo considered an easy car to Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Evo considered an easy car to Drive?

I have a 2005 Evo 8 with bbk full, cams, full bolt ons, and always run E85 (450WHP), and my friend seems to think it is an easy car to drive, even with the stage 4 racing clutch. He thinks its easy to drive in the canyons, and anyone can be fast in it, including his grandma. The car is on 50% old dunlop tires and is a drift machine, very hard to controll in the canyons, but to him the AWD makes it easy.

I also recently got a 2014 evo X Gsr with simple bolt ons and lowering springs, he thinks the same thing about this car, easy to drive. This is coming from someone who drives an automatic v6 mustang, and occasionaly gets to drive his dads dual clutch BMW M3. He also has never owned a stick shift and doesnt have much practice in a stick and has never performed a toe heel downshift.

So the question is what do you think, is the evo an easy car to drive that does everything for you, that takes no driving technique?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your friend is probably not pushing it hard enough. If he is used to driving a tampon Mustang chances are he takes turns at the same speed or close to the same speed he does in his Mustang. I could see him doing that and thinking wow this Evo is really easy to drive. I also would not tell him to push it, unless you want your Evo wrecked that is.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
AWD and handling characteristics of the Evo can make novice drivers feel more confident. Agree with roach85 above ^.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
You mean canyons in Mexico and not Agoura Hills, right OP?

At speed the evo takes some finesse and different skills to drive properly. How do I know this? I made the mistake of making the CT9A my first track car. The way the power of the turbo comes on, the ACD and the AWD means you cannot drive it like a FWD or a RWD car.

You need to trail brake into the apex and then get on the throttle much earlier than most cars.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

He's probably talking out of his *** since he's jealous of your two Evos. Plus, it's just his opinion...who cares.

AND...you should know the answer to your own question since you own TWO EVOS!

The Evo does not do everything for you, otherwise there would be far less part out threads.... The Evo does take driving technique to fully take advantage of the awd system and turbo power band. Otherwise your grandma would be quicker than you in her Buick....kidding.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by roach85
Your friend is probably not pushing it hard enough. If he is used to driving a tampon Mustang chances are he takes turns at the same speed or close to the same speed he does in his Mustang. I could see him doing that and thinking wow this Evo is really easy to drive. I also would not tell him to push it, unless you want your Evo wrecked that is.
He does push it in his mustang, and he is a decent driver, but he has never driven either of my evos in the canyons just ridden in the back seat. I would never hand him the keys and basically let him learn how to drive stick shift or learn how to drive a high powered car in the canyons, with either one of my evos.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXGSR13
He does push it in his mustang, and he is a decent driver, but he has never driven either of my evos in the canyons just ridden in the back seat. I would never hand him the keys and basically let him learn how to drive stick shift or learn how to drive a high powered car in the canyons, with either one of my evos.
How hard can you really push an auto V6 Mustang though in a canyon run? Never driven a V6 Mustang but are those not open diffs? I do not see that being very fun in a straight line let alone a canyon run. And maybe you need to give yourself some of the credit. Maybe you are such a good driver you make it look easy to him. I am not being a wise guy either, being serious. Considering he only rides in the back everything he is basing it off is by your driving

Last edited by roach85; Jun 18, 2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: .
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
You mean canyons in Mexico and not Agoura Hills, right OP?
I used to live in the area (Woodland Hills, specifically) and even trying to maintain the posted speed limit can be pushing it in some canyons. Look up Topanga Canyon Rd and Old Topanga Canyon Rd. between Woodland Hills and Santa Monica-- the speed limit was 45 much of the way on both roads when I lived there. Kanan Rd. and obviously Mulholland Hwy were other favorites, but I used Topanga Canyon the most often so I know that one best.

Back on topic, the Evo is relatively easy to drive due to its three diffs, and especially due to all the electronic wizardry in the X. But someone who learns to be a fast/ good driver in an Evo will still be able to be fast/ good in any other car-- the basics remain the same.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BriK
I used to live in the area (Woodland Hills, specifically) and even trying to maintain the posted speed limit can be pushing it in some canyons. Look up Topanga Canyon Rd and Old Topanga Canyon Rd. between Woodland Hills and Santa Monica-- the speed limit was 45 much of the way on both roads when I lived there.
This. Topanga was great. I liked highway 2 up North of Glendale since I lived in Pasadena. You had to know the road and your car to drive it well and safely at the speed limit on some corners.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 09:33 AM

well since this is my first stick, the evo is definitely not that hard to drive, but it's a little tricky at first. I had to get used to the boost and it's a little tricky to get out of first gear, since you either have to slip the clutch a little or launch forwards lol. But the AWD system makes this car easier to drive than RWD cars, easily.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

In my opinion, the Evo is a very easy car to drive fast. It has a very forgiving limit. I also agree, that yes, anybody can be fast in it. That's not to say a good drive won't be faster.

I would think a novice drive would set lap times closer to an experienced driver in an Evo, than say a Corvette ZR1.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
In my opinion, the Evo is a very easy car to drive fast. It has a very forgiving limit. I also agree, that yes, anybody can be fast in it. That's not to say a good drive won't be faster.

I would think a novice drive would set lap times closer to an experienced driver in an Evo, than say a Corvette ZR1.

Agreed, the Evo is easy to drive fast on the track, especially the
MR. The problem is by your second or third track day you get all kinds of warnings on the dash (SSP slowdown, brake fluid low, fuel starvation, etc..). But once you address these issues, a well divan Evo can chase down muscle cars and Miatas .
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXGSR13
I have a 2005 Evo 8 with bbk full, cams, full bolt ons, and always run E85 (450WHP), and my friend seems to think it is an easy car to drive, even with the stage 4 racing clutch. He thinks its easy to drive in the canyons, and anyone can be fast in it, including his grandma. The car is on 50% old dunlop tires and is a drift machine, very hard to controll in the canyons, but to him the AWD makes it easy.

I also recently got a 2014 evo X Gsr with simple bolt ons and lowering springs, he thinks the same thing about this car, easy to drive. This is coming from someone who drives an automatic v6 mustang, and occasionaly gets to drive his dads dual clutch BMW M3. He also has never owned a stick shift and doesnt have much practice in a stick and has never performed a toe heel downshift.

So the question is what do you think, is the evo an easy car to drive that does everything for you, that takes no driving technique?
Your friend is HILARIOUS!

Im from Ventura, lets cruise Mullholland!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it's easy to drive -- but yes you can overdrive it and get in to trouble quick.

Watch this video around 45 seconds. This was on sticky Kumho V710 racing tires.

The problem is, you can get way over confident, over drive it and break it loose pretty quick. Best to learn these things in a parking lot first -- not in a canyon.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:37 AM

I have been racing Hondas the last 10 years or so in fact my current race car is a civic with a k20 swap. I road and auto x. I now have an evo 9 all stock. Took my some time to figure out how to control the power band in the car to get optimum performance. If you can't drive you can't drive face the facts. Evo makes blowing threw turns much easier but a 450 hp anything will have a hard time coming threw canyon passes. I live in jersey where we have some good country back roads and mountain passes. If you are not on a closed course where the whole road way can be used a lot of crazy things could go wrong. A buddy of mine also very skilled driver with an 03 evo similar upgrades to yours kissed a guard rail because he lost it a little bit. So at that power level no car is easy to fly threw a mountain pass

Quick Reply: Is the Evo considered an easy car to Drive?