EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Driving Techniques (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques-65/)
-   -   Emergency Brake (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques/192395-emergency-brake.html)

dacrazydude Mar 28, 2006 06:19 PM

Emergency Brake

Or hand brake.....I'm wondering what it specifically does to your car if you pull it while turning...Why exactly is it so bad for the car? Is it only that it locks up your rotors and flattens one part of your tire or is there more?

topout Mar 28, 2006 06:21 PM

If you apply enough e-brake While turning? Back tires lose grip. Your car spins or pushes. If there's a solid object on that side, it might be bad for your bodywork.

voidhawk Mar 29, 2006 07:07 AM

Pros: you can use it to break loose the rear tires, and help rotate the car around a sharp turn, or do a 180 (u-turn).

Cons: if your car is not an 05+ it can damage the center diff (the ACD opens when the brake is pulled). You can get "flat-spots" on the tires, because you are sliding across the tarmac with them locked.

Depending on the surface condition and tires you are running, it may not be possible to lock the rear that way, because you don't have enough braking force on the e-brake. After all, iti is not hydraulic, but just a cable/lever (most rally cars are retrofitted with a hydraulic e-brake). Lastly, if you do it a lot, you will stretch the cable connecting the handle to the rear brakes. You can retighten it (may snap eventually), or replace with a kevlar cable instead of steel (stock).

evozakk Mar 29, 2006 07:26 AM

i have seen from other posts that the acd disengages when the ebrake is pulled. even in the 03 04s, if not what would it take to change over the the 05?

voidhawk Mar 29, 2006 07:32 AM

I don't think older than '05 has the ACD?

codgi Apr 22, 2006 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by voidhawk
I don't think older than '05 has the ACD?

Correct...the 05 USDM Evo was the first USDM Evo with ACD.

evilferret Apr 25, 2006 06:24 PM

So I guess the 03-04's don't have to worry about the ACD.

What other damage would it cause?

neilschelly Apr 25, 2006 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by evilferret
So I guess the 03-04's don't have to worry about the ACD.

What other damage would it cause?

You're misreading the point. The ACD protects the drivetrain by opening up when using the handbrake while driving. Prior to that, the viscous diff would just thrash, buck, and do all sorts of bad stuff to try and compensate for the differential between the front and rear axle speeds. Then you get to buy a new one.
-N

86gti Apr 30, 2006 05:58 PM

yeah i wouldnt try it unless youve got an ACD

but, its only really useful for very small tight turns just to get the back end to come around quickly

EvoRacer619 Apr 30, 2006 07:25 PM

i cant lock up my ebrake.. do i need to adj it or is there a sensor and keeps me for being able to lock it up?

ThunderOZ Apr 30, 2006 09:36 PM

I thought u couldnt do that on awd cars without messing sumthing up...and thats why you need a flatbed to tow the car away...

Darky May 1, 2006 12:17 AM

what exactly are the steps to do a 180 turn with da hand brake...
ive never done it before

here's what i think........

1.slow down
2.put in 1st gear....leave clutch in
3.turn the car
4.once the car is turning a little bit, hand brake up, fully lock the wheel to the direction ur turning
5.clutch out....drive normal.....

Something like that?????
Also....how do u control how much u spin???

Thanks

redvtec27 May 1, 2006 04:06 PM

Hey guys, i dont know if I would do much of this in my evo, but its a crap load of fun in a lighter, FWD car like a honda civic or something. I had an 88 civic, and my friend had a CRX, they are TONS of fun.
My advice- take your girlfriends FWD car out to a huge parking lot next time it rains or snows and have a blast practicing e brake drifting and 180s ! Let your evo rest, or just drift it without the e brake.

PANGES May 1, 2006 05:18 PM

if you wanted to drift, why'd you spend 30k+ on an Evo when you could've bought a 240sx for like $1,500?

GGP Wolf Jul 9, 2006 03:31 AM

practice the e-brake turn in a very big open parking lot.

1. go over 5000 rpm in 1st gear driving a straight line.

2. as u turn the wheel kick in the clutch and yank the e-brake hard enough to lock up the rear wheels.

3. pop the clutch back in and give it enough gas so that ur rear-end comes out to however far u want it to, while doing this simultaneously give the front wheels the proper steering so ur heading in the direction u want.

process these maneuvers quickly and u should be heading in the right direction.

:D