EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Driving Techniques (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques-65/)
-   -   Launch control? Can someone explain? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/driving-techniques/320991-launch-control-can-someone-explain.html)

R1ckyB0bbyyy Jan 25, 2008 09:46 AM

Launch control? Can someone explain?

I am curious as to what launch control is, is it a stock feature or aftermarket... what does it cost and what does it do? I know that numerous 5k dumps at the track with an EVO will force the life of the driveline to be short lived... does launch control prevent this? How does it work? And what cars can it be used on?

awd_ftw Jan 25, 2008 09:50 AM

Stock my friend. Put your car in 1st at a stop. Clutch in and rev...it will limit at 6,000rpm's. Viola. Launch control.

Import Junky Jan 25, 2008 09:52 AM

^ what he said.

mpevo8 Jan 25, 2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by awd_ftw (Post 5198200)
Stock my friend. Put your car in neutral at a stop. Clutch in and rev...it will limit at 6,000rpm's. Viola. Launch control.

what he said except its 5000rpm's for stock. when you get tuned it will usually be at 6k.

lords3t Jan 25, 2008 09:54 AM

Except the part about it being in neutral. If it's in neutral.. it will free rev. If however, your clutch is in and you're in first gear.. it will bounce off the two step. Which is nothing more than a secondary rev limiter set lower for more ideal launches. You can still launch poorly and doing so multiple times will still shorten the life of your drivetrain.

E\/0IXG$R Jan 25, 2008 09:55 AM

Right, if you have a IX then its just that easy. With an VIII you have to get into the ECU to adjust it because it is set too high. You'll hit the engine rev limiter before you hit the launch limiter. Most of the tuners here adjust your launch limiter as part of their most basic tuning packages.

awd_ftw Jan 25, 2008 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lords3t (Post 5198231)
Except the part about it being in neutral. If it's in neutral.. it will free rev. If however, your clutch is in and you're in first gear.. it will bounce off the two step. Which is nothing more than a secondary rev limiter set lower for more ideal launches. You can still launch poorly and doing so multiple times will still shorten the life of your drivetrain.

Whoops. That's what I meant :lol: . Editing for retardation.

SixOneNine Jan 25, 2008 09:56 AM

LOL at being in neutral.

Markley02 Jan 25, 2008 09:57 AM

Evo's do not have launch control stock. They do have a launch limiter though. Launch control retards/cuts timing and sometimes adds fuel to hold the RPMs and puts more load on the motor to spool the turbo. Cost all depends on who you go with..... It can cost as much as an AEM EMS. Or you can get a MSD ignition with launch control added on. There is also another company out there that sells a tach and you can add a launch "gizmo" to it for launch control.

The evo's launch limiter is meant to protect the driveline from idiots doing 7K cluch dumps. Its purpose is not for launch control. Ironicly though.... It does produce a good amount of boost. Not as much as true launch control, but it gets the job done for most people. I should also add it is only on 05 and up evo's stock. It can be added to any 03-05 evo via ecuflash.

Launch control can be added to any car. IMO, it would be stupid for some vehicles though.

awd_ftw Jan 25, 2008 10:00 AM

Also...do not drop the hammer when using launch control or ever when launching. bad bad idea.

R1ckyB0bbyyy Jan 25, 2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Markley02 (Post 5198253)
Evo's do not have launch control stock. They do have a launch limiter though. Launch control retards/cuts timing and sometimes adds fuel to hold the RPMs and puts more load on the motor to spool the turbo. Cost all depends on who you go with..... It can cost as much as an AEM EMS. Or you can get a MSD ignition with launch control added on. There is also another company out there that sells a tach and you can add a launch "gizmo" to it for launch control.

The evo's launch limiter is meant to protect the driveline from idiots doing 7K cluch dumps. Its purpose is not for launch control. Ironicly though.... It does produce a good amount of boost. Not as much as true launch control, but it gets the job done for most people. I should also add it is only on 05 and up evo's stock. It can be added to any 03-05 evo via ecuflash.

Launch control can be added to any car. IMO, it would be stupid for some vehicles though.

So it pretty much allows you to spool up before the tree goes green? What is it typically set on for safe launches and good 60's? Is launch control a good investment if you want to see what the car can do at the 1/4? I hear even EVO's have traction issues...

360jeepboy Jan 25, 2008 10:06 AM

So heres a question... How long does the driveline on an EVO last if your always racing from a dig? I know I've heard that the transfercase isn't the best but that is really all hear say cause I haven't really read up on it.

joseph k Jan 25, 2008 10:12 AM

these are all things that can be researched. i use my two step to launch with, it is set at 5800 and i build about 8-10psi. i cut 1.7x no problem, and 1.6x are pretty easy also. havent made it into the 1.5 yet

lemmonhead Jan 25, 2008 10:45 AM

ummm all stock evo's have launch control. its set at 5,000 RPM. yes its a rev limiter which is launch control. I dont know where you get that launch limiter is not launch control?:confused:

SaOrlando Jan 25, 2008 10:54 AM

2005 was the first year of this. It can be added to 03-04.