EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   DynoFlash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dynoflash-108/)
-   -   IX--fuel pump question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dynoflash/221687-ix-fuel-pump-question.html)

emagdnim8 Sep 5, 2006 03:38 PM

IX--fuel pump question

Al, do you have anymore information regarding the stock IX fuel pump?

I currently have your base flash. I'm assuming will need a different map if I upgrade the fuel pump, yes?

DynoFlash Sep 5, 2006 03:54 PM

sell the walbro 342 for $90 shipped

Its a 255 lph high pressure pump

What happens on the stock pumps is that when you drive around on a low tank the pump is out of the gas and can over heat and it starts to flow less pressure

The walbros are more consistant under hard boosting cars

Every evo should have an upgraded Walbro fuel pump on it if it has a boost controller as the stock pump usually starts to become over worked when the boost levels are higher than stock particularly in the high rpms area

DynoFlash Sep 5, 2006 03:54 PM

You will usually need a new map with a fuel pump

I will be making a case study about this when I have a few minutes

nvr2fast Sep 5, 2006 04:36 PM

Isn't the stock Evo IX fuel pump 190lph?

DynoFlash Sep 5, 2006 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by nvr2fast
Isn't the stock Evo IX fuel pump 190lph?

As far as I can determine the issue is not the rated flow rate but rather the ability to maintain a steady flow pressure under higher boost applications

When the fuel pressure falls off on the high rpms range it makes good tuning difficult

tony_b Sep 5, 2006 05:34 PM

Well now, that kind of sucks. As far as everyone was concerned, the IX pump was superior to the VIII pump and would be fine as long as you kept stock inj/turbo.
Now I'm going to need not only a new pump but new maps taboot?? :crap:

emagdnim8 Sep 5, 2006 08:05 PM

Al, how low is a low tank?

Also, would you be willing to work something out for an existing dynoflash customer:D for the new map when you come back to Chicago?
(how much will the 2nd map cost me?)

High_PSI Sep 5, 2006 09:34 PM

Doesn't an Aftermarket fuel pump overrun the stock FPR and cause a bump in Base Fuel Pressure? Isn't that why you need a retune?

hopper Sep 5, 2006 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Doesn't an Aftermarket fuel pump overrun the stock FPR and cause a bump in Base Fuel Pressure? Isn't that why you need a retune?

I guess thats sorta true. a higher flowing fuel pump does flow more . I read somewhere and unsure if its true, but I think it adds 1 bar of fuel pressure? should be close. but a retune cant adjust fuel pressure. you will need a adjustable fpr for that. but the increase in fuel pressure does make the car pig
rich so the injector's need to be toned down to compensate.

EVOM3 Sep 6, 2006 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=DynoFlash]sell the walbro 342 for $90 shipped

Its a 255 lph high pressure pump

Al,

Do you sell your fuel pump with the kit? Does the EVO require an install kit?

High_PSI Sep 6, 2006 12:08 PM

Yeah waht also sucks with a fuel pump besides being pig rich is that you lose the 1:1 rate that the FPR offers, atleast at idle and low boost. Say that the FPR should be 43.5PSI at 0 vaccum/boost, and like 37PSI at idle with vaccum, and then it goes up on a 1:1 basis after 43.5PSI so at 21PSI of boost you have 64.5PSI of fuel pressure.

Now you add a larger fuel pump, the FPR is exactly the same size now returning more fuel so fuel pressure has to increase and probably won't drop under a vaccum. So I fear that you lose the linear fuel flow.

eve-slow Sep 6, 2006 12:13 PM

I saw someone that made around 500whp on the stock IX pump. I also remembering hearing that it is about 220-230 lph. Anyone else?

DynoFlash Sep 6, 2006 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by High_PSI

incorrect

High_PSI Sep 6, 2006 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
incorrect

Would you care to elaborate please? So the Stock FPR can handle the added flow of the fuel pump and NOT bump the stock BFP? I was looking at the FPR and it is quite tiny, my DSM suffered from this issue too.

emagdnim8 Sep 6, 2006 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by emagdnim8
(how much will the 2nd map cost me?)

+1 for "how much will another map cost?"

thanks