Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 hints and tips…

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff1121
Would an upgraded fuel rail also be necessary as well?
It isn't necessary, but it is something that could easily be done when swapping out injectors.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff1121
Would an upgraded fuel rail also be necessary as well?
I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the stock fuel rail is sufficient for stock frame turbos. However, the FPred is just out and I don't know of anyone running it on E85 who can confirm this.

The evolution (pun intended!!!) of stock framed turbos is turning around the EVO tuning community. Some might even say spinning it around (another pun !!!).

Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Few suggestions:

1) Might be better to say "Walbro 255 high output fuel pump" instead of "uprated fuel pump" because the Walbro is really the only fuel pump that has the flow capacity for E85 at high boost with a stock size turbo.

2) The PCV system serves an important function of helping to remove condensate from engine oil. Daily driven cars would be better off to keep the PCV system, and if a second vent hole is desired for high boost, then drill an additional hole in the valve cover.

3) I haven't seen any difference in idle tip-in response at idle between gasoline and E85. I'm running more timing than what you show in the idle tip-in timing cells. This topic would almost seem to be better suited to a E85 tuning thread though.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

13. Consider more frequent oil changes, due to the extra stress of higher boost and the possible oil dilution from running 30% more fuel through the motor. For only $22.25 regular oil analysis might be a worthwhile investment. Oil Doc recommends Oil Analyzers.

that 22.25 price is only if your an authorized amsoil dealer..(from what i read on the website) otherwise its around 30 bucks. I have requested info from the oil doc to get these tests with no response. Therefore i use Blackstone labs. its 21-22 dollars and they send you the kit for free.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Blackstone Labs seems to be pretty popular for oil analysis too.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Few suggestions:

1) Might be better to say "Walbro 255 high output fuel pump" instead of "uprated fuel pump" because the Walbro is really the only fuel pump that has the flow capacity for E85 at high boost with a stock size turbo.

2) The PCV system serves an important function of helping to remove condensate from engine oil. Daily driven cars would be better off to keep the PCV system, and if a second vent hole is desired for high boost, then drill an additional hole in the valve cover.

3) I haven't seen any difference in idle tip-in response at idle between gasoline and E85. I'm running more timing than what you show in the idle tip-in timing cells. This topic would almost seem to be better suited to a E85 tuning thread though.
1. Good idea. Done.
2. Changed the list to say track car.
3. What is a good timing number for the idle tip-in cells? Or a safe range?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

This is good stuff! Thanks Jim!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Very nice thread!

I would like to clarify Dropspeed's comment concerning the increase in boost causing more power--obviously with the higher octane fuel you get to run more boost and even more importantly MUCH more timing! Timing is a key ingredient in making power!
Added.

Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bzzbee2
that 22.25 price is only if your an authorized amsoil dealer..(from what i read on the website) otherwise its around 30 bucks. I have requested info from the oil doc to get these tests with no response. Therefore i use Blackstone labs. its 21-22 dollars and they send you the kit for free.
Added.

Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Got another tip from experience at the track today in 95 degree weather
If you store E85 in a plastic container outside in the heat, E85 will evaporate much faster than gasoline. This evaporation will also cause pressure to buildup faster inside the plastic container faster. So, vent the containers frequently before too much pressure builds up or it'll spillout like a shaken up can of soda.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
If you store E85 in a plastic container outside in the heat, E85 will evaporate much faster than gasoline...
I tried to tell you not to use that big gulp cup!

Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Another tip just for Jim, If you get desperate and can't find an E85 station near you, try this

Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bzzbee2

Nahhhh...

You just need the right contacts...

Also, AMSOIL utilizes ISO 17025 A2LA Labs which have the highest standards in the industry where your tests are totally duplicatible. Some Labs that may have been mentioned in this thread, may not have that ISO Rating which is why their Analysis may not be as consistent.

Also.... Coming in just a few days (Aug 1st) AMSOIL's new RD-30 (Donintator 10W-30 Racing Oil) will be available which, although Analysis is recommended, will be compatible with ALL fuels.... This does not mean that you don't have to worry about fuel dillution, it just means the oil will not break down from the dillution.

3 new Racing oils will be available and the TRO Series 2000 Racing oil will be gone.

The new oils are:

RD-20 which is a 5W-20 oil meant for qualifying.
RD-30, 10W-30 for tight clearanced high revving engines such as the EVO
RD-50, 15W-50 for the All Out Race Engines that need long distance durability.

Doc
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
E85 is only $2.75 here in Sioux Falls and $4.20 for 93 octane! I got my walbro installed, just waiting to get the injectors installed and tune it! Can't wait!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Nahhhh...

You just need the right contacts...
Precisely. Unfortunately the average Joe cannot get the cheap pricing from oil analyzers directly. We have to jump through hoops to find a dealer or become a dealer, and then have them order them for us.

How bout you start to make them available?

IMO both labs give you quality results and if something is wrong with your oil it will show up on either report. I just have a hard time expending more time and money to get the report from the one lab.

Quick Reply: E85 hints and tips…