Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 hints and tips…

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bzzbee2
Precisely. Unfortunately the average Joe cannot get the cheap pricing from oil analyzers directly. We have to jump through hoops to find a dealer or become a dealer, and then have them order them for us.

So tell me what the difference is between calling a Toll Free # and ordering direct, or calling a Toll Free # and ordering from me who will jump through all the Hoops for you and not cost you one penny more ?

How bout you start to make them available?

See Above

IMO both labs give you quality results and if something is wrong with your oil it will show up on either report. I just have a hard time expending more time and money to get the report from the one lab.
Actually, that is what I use to think. But some labs do not have up to date and/or Certified equipment. I won't mention the VERY popular lab that a customer of mine used where his analysis actually scared him and when they retested the same sample, it came out with different results. That is personal experience and I have heard of others from the same lab.

When I had my MotorCycle oil tested, I was concerned about the results and they did re-test it. The results were conclusive and I did have a problem.

When Dealing with an ISO 17025 A2LA Certified Lab, you are assured of them following the strictest standards in the industry as they do not want to take any chance in losing that Certification.

Almost like a Driving Instructor teaching on a revoked license..

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Actually, that is what I use to think. But some labs do not have up to date and/or Certified equipment. I won't mention the VERY popular lab that a customer of mine used where his analysis actually scared him and when they retested the same sample, it came out with different results. That is personal experience and I have heard of others from the same lab.

When I had my MotorCycle oil tested, I was concerned about the results and they did re-test it. The results were conclusive and I did have a problem.

When Dealing with an ISO 17025 A2LA Certified Lab, you are assured of them following the strictest standards in the industry as they do not want to take any chance in losing that Certification.

Almost like a Driving Instructor teaching on a revoked license..

Doc
Doc,

Ive tried to contact you 3 times. Not once have you ever responded to me. Hence i see that as poor customer service.... This is me jumping through hoops to get this test kit. I know Amsoil is great stuff, and its great that analyzers is ISO certified, i have no doubt that their results are anything less than the highest quality... But honestly, getting a good price on these test kits is a joke. Everyone if you want these kits just pay the 28.99.

I have also tried local dealers, all say they have to order them.

Calling an 800 number. Ok, great they want to charge me full price.

Also, Are they ISO certified? ISO certifications are a marketing ploy. Unless they are an ISO registered company they do not have to comply with any standards. As far as 17025... I believe they would be a ISO 17025 Accredited lab.

Last edited by bzzbee2; Jul 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Doc,

Ive tried to contact you 3 times. Not once have you ever responded to me. Hence i see that as poor customer service.... This is me jumping through hoops to get this test kit. I know Amsoil is great stuff, and its great that analyzers is ISO certified, i have no doubt that their results are anything less than the highest quality... But honestly, getting a good price on these test kits is a joke. Everyone if you want these kits just pay the 28.99.

I have also tried local dealers, all say they have to order them.

Calling an 800 number. Ok, great they want to charge me full price.

Also, Are they ISO certified? ISO certifications are a marketing ploy. Unless they are an ISO registered company they do not have to comply with any standards. As far as 17025... I believe they would be a ISO 17025 Accredited lab.

I Apologize if somehow we didn't hook up. How have you tried to contact me ? I have No PM's from you... If you emailed, it could have gone to my Spam folder and with over 1000 Spam emails a day, I couldn't pick it out... Our lovely electronic age.... And if you called, you didn't leave a message and my voicemail tells you that I am probably on the MotorCycle, leave a message with a return number and I will call ASAP.

I have several hundred satisfied EVOm customers and again, I Apologize if somehow you fell through the cracks whether it was my fault or not, but again, our Electronic Age is very IMperfect...

The kits are $22.35 including all postage, to the customer and to the closest lab, not $28.99. Don't know yet if the price on the kits will change Friday or not.

We use 3 labs and all 3 are ISO 9001 Certified. This is more than marketing. It is an assurance of quality.

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

ISO Certification just indicates that the lab or item receiving the certification is capable of abiding by the standards. It in no way means that those standards have to be followed. In most cases if they have a certification they are generally a better lab than those w/o certification.

As a sourcing agent for the electrical industry i have to deal with companies that state their ISO certifications all the time. Its not until you visit mfg plant visits to realize that although they are certified, they do things a different way because its faster or cheaper... Cutting these corners generally means not meeting the ISO requirements. Cutting these corners WILL NOT jeopardize their certification. Certification is an assurance that they can produce quality, not that they DO produce quality. Im sorry to jump on the Certification claim... but thats what i do.

I contacted a friend in the industry for him to verify what the accreditation means. the ISO 17025 is in fact an accreditation, not a certification. Accreditation's are acquired by having a 3rd party test the facility to verify that the processes in place will meet certain requirements (VERY GOOD). This means that not only do they meet the requirements, but the process for which they do it is standard (no deviations). That being said this accreditation is based off an ASTM testing standard. Therefore we know that its a well established standard and they are producing quality results.

I have tried to contact via PM and email... Your right, things do fall through the cracks, no biggie. I will try again next time i send off for analysis.

Jim,

Can you modify the post to state the Oil Analyzers price to be the $22.35. That the doc is quoting, and 28.95 if they buy it on the website.

Last edited by bzzbee2; Jul 30, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

ISO Certification just indicates that the lab or item receiving the certification is capable of abiding by the standards. It in no way means that those standards have to be followed. In most cases if they have a certification they are generally a better lab than those w/o certification.

As a sourcing agent for the electrical industry i have to deal with companies that state their ISO certifications all the time. Its not until you visit mfg plant visits to realize that although they are certified, they do things a different way because its faster or cheaper... Cutting these corners generally means not meeting the ISO requirements. Cutting these corners WILL NOT jeopardize their certification. Certification is an assurance that they can produce quality, not that they DO produce quality. Im sorry to jump on the Certification claim... but thats what i do.

I contacted a friend in the industry for him to verify what the accreditation means. the ISO 17025 is in fact an accreditation, not a certification. Accreditation's are acquired by having a 3rd party test the facility to verify that the processes in place will meet certain requirements (VERY GOOD). This means that not only do they meet the requirements, but the process for which they do it is standard (no deviations). That being said this accreditation is based off an ASTM testing standard. Therefore we know that its a well established standard and they are producing quality results.
Actually, the labs we use are Certified. You are probably looking for ISO 9001-2000 which means these labs are held to the Strictest Standards in the Industry, Are Audited every 6 month by a 3rd party, the Test Equipment is Calibrated, and to go above and beyond, they are checked by internal QC every 3 months to make sure there are no problem.

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc

When Dealing with an ISO 17025 A2LA Certified Lab,...

Doc
This is what i was referring to. My industry friend told me that this was a Accreditation. The lab may be certified also, but 17025 can only be granted by a 3rd party testing agency. So maybe ISO9000 certified using ISO17025 accreditation. A2LA is an accreditation agency (3rd party).

Now... nowhere on the oil analyzers site can i find this information... but it wouldn't surprise me if they just haven't posted it or i just cant find it... hehe
Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

This is what i was referring to. My industry friend told me that this was a Accreditation. The lab may be certified also, but 17025 can only be granted by a 3rd party testing agency. So maybe ISO9000 certified using ISO17025 accreditation. A2LA is an accreditation agency (3rd party).

Now... nowhere on the oil analyzers site can i find this information... but it wouldn't surprise me if they just haven't posted it or i just cant find it... hehe
It is in one of the Brochures that you would need to download... It lists the 17025 A2LA and when they run out of those brochures, the new ones will have the ISO 9001-2000 most likely and they will be available online.

Doc
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for another great E85 post Jim.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Gettin tuned on E-85 this Thursday! w00t!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Gettin tuned on E-85 this Thursday! w00t!
Which shop?

Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Which shop?

RRE. 30 psi. Hoping for ~430awhp and ~440ft-lbs.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Stock IX with just a Megan TBE (Invidia O2, TP), ETS Intake, ETS IC Kit, 255 FP and 1000cc. Put down 380awhp/364awtq at Reese Tuning last week. Stock Cams, stock turbo, stock ECU, no porting. Corn Guzzler!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Stock IX with just a Megan TBE (Invidia O2, TP), ETS Intake, ETS IC Kit, 255 FP and 1000cc. Put down 380awhp/364awtq at Reese Tuning last week. Stock Cams, stock turbo, stock ECU, no porting. Corn Guzzler!
what dyno?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Dynojet. Before switching to E85, I was at 328/326. Makes no difference which dyno, I gained 52awhp and 38awtq on the same dyno, with just injectors and a tune for E85.

Last edited by mdsevo06; Aug 11, 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ive got almost 4k miles on E85. There are Several E85 pumps in Vegas. Each station has a distinctive smell for its E85... Im not sure if this is because of the type of fuel they mix with it, type of tank its in, type of machine its pumped through. One pump in town was yeilding some decent knock counts... I have found that sticking the the pump that i used when i got tuned works the best. It also yeilds the most alcoholic smelling exhaust.

Dyno makes a difference.. Lets us compare numbers on one dyno to another.

Quick Reply: E85 hints and tips…