Injector "gunk" and E-85 - Page 20 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

E85 and Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Injector "gunk" and E-85

Old Sep 12, 2017, 02:31 PM   #286
Evolved Member

Drives: 2011 Evo MR, 2003 Evo

In older cars sure, but fuel systems have been designed to be chemically tolerant of Ethanol since the banning of MTBE as a gasoline oxygenate. My take from the various literature is that Ethanol being a really good solvent, any contamination along the entire supply chain up to and including the junk in your cars fuel system will be dissolved and accumulate in the injectors. I have also read that the recirculated gasses from PCV etc when coming into contact with the injectors cause an accumulation of junk. Its probably a combination of all the above and some other misc factors. Injectors get clogged all the time just running straight gasoline too so its not like its a unique problem to E85 either. Plus the stuff MinusPrevious just posted.

Old Sep 12, 2017, 05:44 PM   #287
EvoM Guru

Drives: Evo IX MR

MinusPrevious is correct on the primary source of the black gunk. There is evidence that PCV or EGR can contribution. Old non-ethanol compatible hose argument may have some truth, but it doesn't apply to the Evo fuel system. Its totally up to the job.

Old Sep 12, 2017, 06:08 PM   #288
EvoM Super Moderator

Drives: 2006 ランエボ RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
MinusPrevious is correct on the primary source of the black gunk. There is evidence that PCV or EGR can contribution. Old non-ethanol compatible hose argument may have some truth, but it doesn't apply to the Evo fuel system. Its totally up to the job.
Im certainly not the one credited w/that analysis. The poster was a petroleum engineer type.

I did some internet searches & the PIB casual factor has been reported by more than a few experts in the field

Old Sep 12, 2017, 07:44 PM   #289
EvoM Guru

Drives: Evo IX MR

Yeah, I think that article has been widely referenced. I've got a copy of it in my files. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to mrfred For This Useful Post:
MinusPrevious (Sep 12, 2017)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:39 AM   #290
Evolving Member

Drives: Lancer

I've had a set of injectors lying around for years.
They've only been used with petrol and when it came to flow test time they were all severely blocked. 25% or so of the original flow.
After soaking in ethanol for a while (flow testing also with ethanol), most of them recovered their original flow values.

That's because petrol, even though it's a really good solvent, there's insoluble impurities in the fuel which cause blockage.
What isn't soluble in petrol IS usually soluble in alcohol.