Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E-85 Going Away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-85 Going Away?

So I heard that E-85 might be going away. I know GM is going to stop making E85 cars and trucks. There is also talk about how E-85 effects corn food and prices. Does any one know if this is just talk or just roummers running around the internet.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:38 PM

not good news
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:44 PM

I know I hope its not true
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rumors/./.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GM is getting out of flex-fuel vehicles? Interesting, someone should tell their marketing folks, since they seem to be under the impression that they want 50% of their production to be E85-capable by 2012. Do you have a citation for the idea that they'd suddenly stop production of flex-fuel vehicles?

Plus, with cellulosic ethanol production starting to ramp up, and even Wal-Mart getting in on the action, it's hard to see E-85 going away any time soon.

(Also, Mitsubishi is getting in on the action, albeit in Thailand, which I thought was pretty amusing.)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check with my in-laws in Kansas. My brother-in law's father was the President of the National Corn growers association. They are huge lobbyists for Ethanol.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Previous thread on the same topic. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...-stations.html

Obama is our number one E85 man. And we know he is all for change. Now, is that change from gas to E85, or change from E85 availability to no E85 availability?

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Sep 16, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
GM is getting out of flex-fuel vehicles? Interesting, someone should tell their marketing folks, since they seem to be under the impression that they want 50% of their production to be E85-capable by 2012. Do you have a citation for the idea that they'd suddenly stop production of flex-fuel vehicles?

Plus, with cellulosic ethanol production starting to ramp up, and even Wal-Mart getting in on the action, it's hard to see E-85 going away any time soon.

(Also, Mitsubishi is getting in on the action, albeit in Thailand, which I thought was pretty amusing.)
Ethanol is relatively cheap in Thailand because there is so much biomass in that country. The Thai government has been pushing it for a while. Most stations now sell E20, and many are carrying high percentage blends.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

California to open 55 more E85 stations...

"AE Biofuels, Inc., a global vertically integrated biofuels company, and Pearson Fuels, an alternative fuels provider, have been awarded $6.9 million by the US Department of Energy to build 55 E85 fueling facilities in the state of California. The alternative fueling sites will be built within the next 42 months."

This is on top of the 34 we already have.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Sep 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I seriously dont see e85 going away.

It is a relatively easy solution to the every growing oil consumption problem.

E85 requires VERY little technology change as far as the internal combustion engine goes.
electric cars sill require electricity to work which is largely very harmful to the environment, and consumes a very high % of fossil fuels

Hybrids are even worse, I am 100% against hybrids, because they are just an excuse, prolonging the inevitable, we are going to run out of oil, we are consuming it very fast.... Lets come up with a solution instead of band aide that reduces our consumption...

The problems related to Ethanol manufacturing is in its production, but considering its relatively new, there is likely still very easy ways to improve the production process, aka the algae method

everyone has the mind set that its has to come from corn, thats untrue, Brazil produces it from sugar cane if Im not mistaken, all it takes is a few smart people to figure out a way to improve the production of ethanol, and we will have a very good fuel alternative to gas.

Just my $.02 on the issues

Last edited by denver; Sep 17, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR.06MR
So I heard that E-85 might be going away. I know GM is going to stop making E85 cars and trucks. There is also talk about how E-85 effects corn food and prices. Does any one know if this is just talk or just roummers running around the internet.
It must be, who/where did you hear it from?

E85 is the future my friend, its not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:33 PM
M75

Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
I'll check with my in-laws in Kansas. My brother-in law's father was the President of the National Corn growers association. They are huge lobbyists for Ethanol.
What a 5min Google detective can produce...

http://ncga.com/killing-myths-ethanol

--------------------------

Myth: Ethanol production wastes corn that could be used to feed a hungry world.

FACT: Wet mill ethanol production facilities are also know as corn refineries—and they also produce starch, corn sweeteners, and corn oil—all products that are used as food ingredients for human consumption.

The corn used for ethanol production is field corn typically used to feed to livestock. Ethanol production also results in the production of distillers grains and gluten feed—both of which are fed to livestock as well, helping produce high quality meat products for distribution domestically and abroad.

There is no shortage of corn. In 2007, U.S. farmers produced a record 13.1 billion bushel corn harvest—and some 2.3 billion bushels (about 13 percent) were used in ethanol production. In other words, there is still room to significantly grow the ethanol market without limiting the availability of corn. Steadily increasing average corn yields and the improved ability of other nations to grow corn also make it clear that ethanol production can continue to grow without affecting the food supply.

--------------------------------

Please state your source.
Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
California to open 55 more E85 stations...

"AE Biofuels, Inc., a global vertically integrated biofuels company, and Pearson Fuels, an alternative fuels provider, have been awarded $6.9 million by the US Department of Energy to build 55 E85 fueling facilities in the state of California. The alternative fueling sites will be built within the next 42 months."

This is on top of the 34 we already have.

- Bryan

There are currently 34 stations? Is there an updated list somewhere?
I just checked and it still only shows 7 available public stations...

Last edited by 4g94T; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g94T

There are currently 34 stations? Is there an updated list somewhere?
I just checked and it still only shows 7 available public stations...
http://www.e85refueling.com/location...e=CACalifornia

link to 35 stations in CA according to the e85 refueling website.

Google is my friend
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:04 PM
Account Disabled

Lets ask our selves this, if it did go away what would people do that have all these flex fuel cars and trucks, return them ? not likely !

Quick Reply: E-85 Going Away?