Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 Gauge w/ output for under $100

Old Nov 15, 2017, 06:49 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
anyone try a low pass filter on the input?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
....still waiting to see one function properly

Or are they and I missed the post?? I really wanna be able to do this.
From what I understood plenty of people have been using it fine but some seem to be having what seems like some signal interference issues? I was planning to bench test mine before doing the final install on my car.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Milled out a bracket and finished wiring everything yesterday. Got it all running today. Everything is wired so that it is completely plug and play, no splicing into factory harnesses and is key hot so no switches needed to turn the system on or off. The bracket mounts on the back of the intake manifold using existing holes and can use the factory return line, also gets rid of the return hard line that runs over the top of the fuel rail, just had to get some hose to connect the sensor to the FPR. Now the only thing left to do is figure out why the temp is displaying wrong.

Would anyone be interest in a bracket if I had a small batch made?

Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:01 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
is it cold where you are? Maybe it's displaying Celsius?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
is it cold where you are? Maybe it's displaying Celsius?
Middle of Michigan. IIRC it was around high 30's so that would make sense, but I tried it again this morning (28F) and it still read 4F. Maybe the garage was warmer than outside. Might need to break out a thermometer lol
Old Nov 19, 2017, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Just checked it again. Thermometer in the garage said it was 34ish. Display said 3. Good enough for me. Now I either need to change it to display C or have it show the proper temp for F.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Nov 19, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin

Would anyone be interest in a bracket if I had a small batch made?
I would be.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
I would be.
Okay, I'll ask around and see about getting a batch of 5-10 made. Once I hear something back I'll let you guys know roughly what cost will be. Shouldn't be anything crazy.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Tried messing around with it, had my roommate who's pretty code savvy look at it as well and we can't get it fixed. Anyone have their display showing temp in F properly? If so what changes did you make to the code posted in the OP?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Tried messing around with it, had my roommate who's pretty code savvy look at it as well and we can't get it fixed. Anyone have their display showing temp in F properly? If so what changes did you make to the code posted in the OP?
I still haven't been able to get the temp or ethanol content to work correctly. My ethanol content continues to bounce all over the place. I moved the ground to a closer location and still have the ethanol content reading crazy. I have checked the input side of the arduino and the it is getting a consistent input. It seems that this is an issue within the arduino.

Does your ethanol content bounce all over the place? Mine will go from 6% to 99%. I checked the output side with a muiltimeter and the wild values are being sent to the ecu. This isn't good for those of us who are trying to go flex fuel.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 09:43 AM

try buying a quality DC-DC power supply for the arduino and see if that helps clean up the input power. Automotive electrical is crazy noisy with massive transients that the arduino is simply not designed to handle. A good power supply should clean that up.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
try buying a quality DC-DC power supply for the arduino and see if that helps clean up the input power. Automotive electrical is crazy noisy with massive transients that the arduino is simply not designed to handle. A good power supply should clean that up.
I am going to look into this. I would be surprised that it would do anything. The only reason why I say that is that I am powering the arduino and my aem a/f gauge off of a piggy back on a fuse. If the power source was the issue, I would imagine that the gauge would also have crazy readings as well.....I have no idea what I am talking about, and that thought is just a guess. I am willing to try anything at this point.

What is also weird, is that I bench tested the unit and it worked fine aside of the temperature value.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:37 AM

The gauge was designed to work in an automotive environment, it likely has internal circuitry to deal with the problems i was talking about.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 01:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lespaul123
I still haven't been able to get the temp or ethanol content to work correctly. My ethanol content continues to bounce all over the place. I moved the ground to a closer location and still have the ethanol content reading crazy. I have checked the input side of the arduino and the it is getting a consistent input. It seems that this is an issue within the arduino.

Does your ethanol content bounce all over the place? Mine will go from 6% to 99%. I checked the output side with a muiltimeter and the wild values are being sent to the ecu. This isn't good for those of us who are trying to go flex fuel.
My ethanol content stayed at a rock solid 13% (93 octane with a hair of E85 from previous fillup), no bouncing, granted I've only idled the car for about 15mins since I finished it and now it's put away for the winter. I still haven't been able to get the fuel temp figured out though.

I don't have mine hooked into the ECU for flex fuel as I'd rather have manual control over map switching. Not sure if that would cause any issues. Both my sensor and ardiuno are powered off an add a circuit on the interior fuse box. They're also both grounded in the driver's footwell area behind the fuse box.

I don't have any experience dealing with noise in electrical circuits although I have built shielded wire circuits, I'm not sure it'd be necessary for something like this. Another thing to consider is that my car has next to no electronics in it except for what is required to make it run and some lights so your issue could be from something that's no longer in my car.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't have an EVO, but I used this to build my own little gauge for my truck so thanks to the OP for the information.

I did a little bit of testing and found the same problem with the temperature. So I read some more about the sensor and how it outputs the temperature reading and looked at the code and didn't think the code made any sense for what I found.

So I coded up my own way to get the temperature and it seems to be correlating correctly with the coolant temp and intake air temp of my truck while in the garage.

Here is just the portion of the code that gets the temperature:

Code:
void getfueltemp(int inpPin) { //read fuel temp

tempPulse = pulseIn(inpPin, LOW, 25000);                          // Measure the low pulse time (timeout after 25ms if no pulse is detected)
  if (tempPulse > 0) {                                              // If we get a pulse then update the temperature measurement
    lowTime = tempPulse;
    float celsius = ((41.25 * (float(lowTime) / 1000)) - 81.25);    // Calculate temp in celsius from lowTime pulse
    float fahrenheit =  ((celsius * 1.8) + 32);                     // Convert to fahrenheit
    temperature = fahrenheit;                                       // Update temperature with specified unit
  }
}
The following 2 users liked this post by bubba2533:
Ayoustin (Dec 28, 2017), Project_Broke (Dec 28, 2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E85 Gauge w/ output for under $100