Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Taking the plunge. Is this feasible?

Old Jul 4, 2017, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Here's my thread asking for help with my E85 and hta71. Contact anyone that helped me out for their opinions since they have been on E85 for many years now.
Since you have a 6-speed and have high miles, my tuner would likely keep your torque at 360 ft-lbs and less.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ggestions.html

This is when I needed help with my DV mod. You can find info on crushing in here too (yes, I had a typo but couldn't fix title. ):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ert-valve.html

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jul 4, 2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome! I will check back in with you guys as I get closer to this. Right now it is repair (shipping off the rear diff) and restoration.

And I am the type of detailed oriented and particular person that I have toyed with the idea today of completely tearing down the car to frame only. Shipping her off to a body shop to have the rust repaired and undercoated. Then starting back over with a large jar of anti-seize. Very large.

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Good luck with your endeavors. IMHO you don't need an intake at those power levels nor do you need a fuel rail. Stock intake is about as good as it gets for drivability performance mix. Stock intake, TB and rail are good to well over 800hp.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

So I've read about speed density and MAF. I understand the concept between the two. At what point is it a consideration to move from MAF to speed density?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 07:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by N1MR0D
So I've read about speed density and MAF. I understand the concept between the two. At what point is it a consideration to move from MAF to speed density?

Listen to one of the experts explain the diff. Explanation starts almost midway through the Vid

Old Jul 12, 2017, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. So basically it sounds like you can have a bigger turbo spool sooner, drive home in a limp mode if something reasonably nonenginelifethreating happens and allows a VTA BOV.

Am I missing something? letsgetthisdone, do you have this? Minus as well. I would rather spend the time and money on this now if this is a forward progression thing than have to take off parts and sell them later to do another turbo or built engine per-say.

Last edited by N1MR0D; Jul 12, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 05:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Mini battery kit
UICP
Larger CC injectors (I've read most like FIC 1200 for this application)
New fuel rail?
Higher volume fuel pump
Maybe the AMS Intake manifold if I can find one
and a tune
Looks like the conversation went another route.. but I'll leave my $.02

Larger injectors
Walbro 255 pump
open air filter
tune.

All your other stuff should be good.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 12, 2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

No by all means I am looking for guidance on the E85. But it seems to make sense (to me) if I need to buy parts that I buy what I need for the long run rather than right now. Thoughts?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 06:03 PM
kaj

No by all means I am looking for guidance on the E85. But it seems to make sense (to me) if I need to buy parts that I buy what I need for the long run rather than right now. Thoughts?
If you are actually going to need it, then maybe. Nothing worse that overbuilding a car and having it perform like crap until you (hopefully) go bigger, later. And how much bigger? How much later?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
If you are actually going to need it, then maybe. Nothing worse that overbuilding a car and having it perform like crap until you (hopefully) go bigger, later. And how much bigger? How much later?
I understand and appreciate that thought. I agree. Is their anything that I have mentioned that specifically throws up some red flags of replacing parts for "performing like crap?"
Old Jul 12, 2017, 07:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Am I missing something? letsgetthisdone, do you have this? Minus as well.
If i ever do an engine build, I will do SD for sure w/the VTA valve, but I am still on MAF. My setup is considered the first real step in running E85 (Larger inj / fuel pump / 3 port solenoid, full exhaust, open intake & of course, the TOON)

Im like Kaj (hate to admit that=) , dont want to over stress the stock motor more than the 410 WHP I have now.

My EvO was seeing a lot of track time on this set-up

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 12, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

So am I understanding you guys that with these upgrades it is likely to start pushing the envelope of the stock engine past the safe zone? And what is the safe zone? 400tq's, 450? Because I thought torque breaks things, not horsepower.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Im like Kaj (hate to admit that=) , dont want to over stress the stock motor more than the 410 WHP I have now.

My EvO was seeing a lot of track time on this set-up
Heeeey, now. I resemble that comment.

I understand and appreciate that thought. I agree. Is their anything that I have mentioned that specifically throws up some red flags of replacing parts for "performing like crap?"
So am I understanding you guys that with these upgrades it is likely to start pushing the envelope of the stock engine past the safe zone? And what is the safe zone? 400tq's, 450? Because I thought torque breaks things, not horsepower.
I see people with big cams...giant turbo...then they wonder why the car isn't so fun to drive any more. I've seen graphs of cars that don't make 300hp/300tq until 5k+ RPM. No thanks to that.
​​​​​​​ I request my tuner to keep torque at 350-360. I've seen some do up to 400.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not sure if there is an actual torque no. but Ive seen some say, 400 to 450 WTQ (Dyno or Mustang???) is getting to the limit (buts its a grey no. involving many factors)

Theres only so much PSI you can hit a stock motor with before you lift a head or worse or the abuse into the drivetrain
Old Jul 12, 2017, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

It kinda sounds like you guys are saying "go get the short list of bare minimum parts and get a tune and go enjoy it." Stop messing about!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking the plunge. Is this feasible?