Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Clear gas Ethonal free? Any good ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clear gas Ethonal free? Any good ?

So they just opened a gas station close by my house, i normally put shell gas 91 premium v power. And saw that other gas station had clear gas ethanol free. I read that it you get better gas mileage? And better performance? So my question is, should i go with the ethanol free ? Or just stick with shell?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where I live Shell V-power does not have any ethanol. Ethanol on a turbo car is not a bad thing for power at all .... storage is another matter. If you put it away for the winter put ethanolfree in it.

Normally aspirated and old I would go for ethanol free but not on a fairly modern turbo car .....
Old Feb 1, 2019, 07:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoguy!123
So they just opened a gas station close by my house, i normally put shell gas 91 premium v power. And saw that other gas station had clear gas ethanol free. I read that it you get better gas mileage? And better performance? So my question is, should i go with the ethanol free ? Or just stick with shell?
Whats the octane rating on the clear gas? Sounds like a good idea to just run the 100% gas especially for mileage reasons. Certainly should gain some mileage performance.

Just curious about any power loss due to lower octane? That clear gas is also spendy!

But, the other caveat would be that your tune should reflect your gas choice, so you would likely be tied to the clear gas going fwd

Just my .02 thoughts
Old Feb 2, 2019, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
100% gasoline will knock more than gasoline with 10 or 15% ethanol in it.

just fyi.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's so weird, i put regular 91 pump and my evo ran like sh*t. My engine sounded forced. Now i put vpower.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 01:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Usually ethanol gas is sold as use for recreational use in sleds, atvs, outboard motors, etc. or really anything that isn't supposed to be run with ethanol. It's usually labeled as RC90, it's 90 octane ethanol free gas and it's anywhere between $5-7/gal. You'd get better mpg but it'd barely be noticeable and you definitely wouldn't be saving any money.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more ethanol the better if your tune can take it. 10% ethanol is better than none at all; I wouldn't put ethanol free in anything. If they don't use ethanol to get the octane they want, they usually use harsh solvents which often cause fuel system damage. Then they try to blame the damage on ethanol. Gas today isn't like the leaded gas of years ago, or the MTBE gas of pre 2000. Now the ethanol free gas typically has lots of aromatics (solvents) in it.