EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   E85 / Ethanol (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol-225/)
-   -   Open or Closed Loop on E85? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/588086-open-closed-loop-e85.html)

10isace Dec 8, 2011 02:32 PM

Open or Closed Loop on E85?

I've been on E85 since April this year. I'm in open loop at all times to achieve 17.0:1 idle and cruise. I love it and it's been great!
EXCEPT this winter. Cold start, cold idle (dies and rpm fluctuates), bucking when cold, etc problems. I tried doing the things mentioned in cold start/idle threads (it got a little better). I tried messing with the timing. Car drives great when coolant gets to about 100+ degrees. That's about 3 minutes of warming up in the garage.

I need a clearer understanding of what's going on here. I'm confused with the ISVC and the Idler stepper tables, so I haven't touched them. Is there a tutorial or can someone shed some light on this? Does this have anything to do with being in open loop? And what IPW should I be at idle? I'm at 2.048. I see people trying to get below 1.28.

10isace Dec 8, 2011 07:51 PM

Also, what are you guys doing on E85, open or closed loop?

Spec-Ops1 Dec 9, 2011 05:25 AM

I run closed loop with E85... but I still let my car warm up before driving the car...

10isace Nov 9, 2012 10:57 AM

Update:

I've switched to closed loop because I was getting ready to switch over to SD and I wanted to check my fuel trims to make sure they were good. They are. Anyhow, WOW, what a difference! It drives so much smoother. So smooth in fact, I've decided to hold off on SD.

As a bonus, I am getting 2-3 mpg better gas mileage. I've gone through 2 tanks of fuel so far, so it's pretty much verified.

Thanks Freddie at Spec Ops and Tom at tscomptuned for their input!

Spec-Ops1 Nov 10, 2012 02:50 PM

Glad it is doing better!

CDrinkH2O Nov 30, 2012 10:38 PM

I recently changed from open (16.5:1 AFR) to closed loop on E85 and saw a 10% MPG improvement after reinstalling the EGR hardware. Mitsu engineers use technology that really works.

Live4Redline Feb 5, 2013 08:56 AM

I kind of wish there was a way to change the closed loop target afr for e85.

It's funny you would see a beter mpg on the richer closed loop afr then the appropriate open loop afr but I guess I could see how that's possible.

I'll be finishing up my tune here soon and I guess I do a few tests of my own.

10isace Feb 5, 2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Live4Redline (Post 10645128)
I kind of wish there was a way to change the closed loop target afr for e85.

It's funny you would see a beter mpg on the richer closed loop afr then the appropriate open loop afr but I guess I could see how that's possible.

I'll be finishing up my tune here soon and I guess I do a few tests of my own.

There's a thread on here using WB for AFR targeting in closed loop with the Zeitronix WB. It was interesting, but IIRC most gave up on it. Too much fluctuating AFR's.

I think maybe CL is more effecient. IDK.

211Ratsbud Mar 20, 2013 05:47 PM

Fluctuates due to distance of the sensor away right? Place the wbo2 in the narrow band location for better results ? I'm thinking of doing this right now for 93

10isace Mar 20, 2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud (Post 10719531)
Fluctuates due to distance of the sensor away right? Place the wbo2 in the narrow band location for better results ? I'm thinking of doing this right now for 93

Cool! Update me.