EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   E85 / Ethanol (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol-225/)
-   -   Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/596599-running-e85-educate-yourself-article.html)

boostless Feb 4, 2012 08:37 PM

Running E85? Educate yourself with this article!!

Here is a great read for anyone that runs E85! A lot of facts that you may not know, but are detrimental to understand{thumbup}

http://www.injectordynamics.com/AlcoholArticle.html

RJones Feb 4, 2012 08:46 PM

At least in CA we don't have to deal with the winter mix. It's "85 percent" all year.

AndyCT9W Feb 4, 2012 08:59 PM

Not running E85 (yet?) but that is certainly a good read with plenty of insight.

Thanks!

boostless Feb 5, 2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by RJones (Post 9941701)
At least in CA we don't have to deal with the winter mix. It's "85 percent" all year.

I'm pretty sure it stays pretty consistent, but is says that norcal switches from a "class 1" to "class 2". So I assume that Socal may be susceptible too. I guess it's most important for your tuner to not tune to the ragged edge.

RJones Feb 5, 2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by boostless (Post 9942878)
I'm pretty sure it stays pretty consistent, but is says that norcal switches from a "class 1" to "class 2". So I assume that Socal may be susceptible too. I guess it's most important for your tuner to not tune to the ragged edge.

I'm in Norcal and our e85 tests between 83-85% all year long. Especially Propel.

ZMX Feb 5, 2012 01:34 PM

Great read.

mrfred Feb 7, 2012 07:53 AM

no doubt that anyone running e85 should monitor eth content of their fuel. also good to regularly monitor afr. with that said, i've found through some incidental testing that i can run the same tune for anywhere from 60-72% eth. ymmv on that, so check for yourself. big issue is that its not easy to monitor water content.

BOOSTINJAE Feb 7, 2012 08:50 AM

Great write up I have always paid very close attention to my injectors and fuel system while running e85 because living here in ny where the weather changes every 5 min you just have to stay on top of things.

bonsuz01 Feb 7, 2012 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info & good write up too.

PKEVO8 Feb 7, 2012 09:26 AM

I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out? In regards to energy production, corn for ethanol requires 1,150 times as much land as nuclear energy. This statistic may be out of context, considering it is in terms of energy production and not vehicle consumption, but if that much extra land space is being used for energy, how much more is being used for for vehicles? Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?

escodotcarter Feb 7, 2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by PKEVO8 (Post 9947256)
what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?

I could careless about the production efficiency, land use, or whatever else. As long as they are selling it, I will be buying it. Race gas for 3 bucks a gallon. When they stop making it I'll just have to buy a bigger turbo to make up the difference.

SPANKED Feb 7, 2012 09:44 AM

Great read. Good find.

evo_soul Feb 7, 2012 10:25 AM

I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out? In regards to energy production, corn for ethanol requires 1,150 times as much land as nuclear energy. This statistic may be out of context, considering it is in terms of energy production and not vehicle consumption, but if that much extra land space is being used for energy, how much more is being used for for vehicles? Sorry if this seems like a rant, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and something so unsustainable and inefficient is not going to last...what will you do when e-85 stops being produced?

Devils advocate makes interesting points. But the tuned power output "juicing" of E85 makes all the difference for those looking to make safe power. While there are upfront costs associated with running an e85 setup. The power argument for an EVO says E85 is good FTW! On a Dodge mini van flex fuel. Maybe.... maybe not.

There are many arguments out there for or against this fuel. I think E85 is a good idea for getting off foreign oil when you put it together with Natgas, other bio fuels. Problem is, information warfare makes change extremely difficult. They are so many myths out there, that it makes progressive change come to a stand still. LoL dont get me started on dysfunctional politics too hehe joking... point is. Is it the best fuel out there? probably not. Are there uses for it. Hellz ya :)

Kasaper Feb 7, 2012 11:27 AM

Love the stuff!!! Don't really like the glow in the dark options!! LOL!!

Boltz. Feb 7, 2012 12:24 PM

I know that evom may not be the place for this, but I really don't understand why you guys keep using corn ethanol when it is the most inefficient means of production? Yes, you make power, but at what cost when the prices of gas and e-85 are balancing out?

Considering it performs like C16, at $3 per gallon it is a disgustingly cheap UNLEADED race fuel. Once it gets to get $6+ it will turn the car into a weekend only car or I will switch back to 93 and methanol..... Or just make it nuclear powered :lol: