EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   E85 / Ethanol (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol-225/)
-   -   e85 and AZ (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/748819-e85-az.html)

Tyler J. Weaver May 21, 2018 10:22 AM

e85 and AZ

Hi there. I’m currently planning on moving from MN to the Scottsdale area in the fall. I’m wondering about the e85 situation. I currently have an Evo X tuned on e85 and 93, both of which sound difficult to get in AZ.

It was a conservative tune from RS Motors in MN and probably really was tuned on e70ish. However, e54 is probably stretching it a bit.

Are there stations that consistently have higher ethanol content, such as e70-e85, or should I just retune to e54? That being said, is it worth tossing in a flex fuel kit and tuning? I do have a DW65C and FIC1100’s.

If I do the flex fuel kit, it sounds like it would be on the Tephra. Is it possible to still use a COBB AP for the gauges even if you’re running a map from the Tephra?

Just looking for some advice! Thanks!

MinusPrevious May 21, 2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler J. Weaver (Post 11822528)
Hi there. I’m currently planning on moving from MN to the Scottsdale area in the fall. I’m wondering about the e85 situation. I currently have an Evo X tuned on e85 and 93, both of which sound difficult to get in AZ.

It was a conservative tune from RS Motors in MN and probably really was tuned on e70ish. However, e54 is probably stretching it a bit.

Are there stations that consistently have higher ethanol content, such as e70-e85, or should I just retune to e54? That being said, is it worth tossing in a flex fuel kit and tuning? I do have a DW65C and FIC1100’s.

If I do the flex fuel kit, it sounds like it would be on the Tephra. Is it possible to still use a COBB AP for the gauges even if you’re running a map from the Tephra?

I would wait until you get into the Scottsdale area & check the content yourself. You may find all the stations have a 70% to 85% content. But having a full flex fuel setup would be optimum for sure

Not sure about the COBB Access system.

BTW, I follow the RS guys on FB. Would love to have Ronnie's shop work on my RS!

Tyler J. Weaver May 21, 2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11822530)
I would wait until you get into the Scottsdale area & check the content yourself. You may find all the stations have a 70% to 85% content. But having a full flex fuel setup would be optimum for sure

Not sure about the COBB Access system.

BTW, I follow the RS guys on FB. Would love to have Ronnie's shop work on my RS!

Thanks for the advice! I’ve never ran the test myself but maybe I should do that or just go flex fuel and be done with it!

Cool to hear. Ronnie does amazing work!

Hoping to meet some other car owners when I move down!

MinusPrevious May 21, 2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler J. Weaver (Post 11822534)

Thanks for the advice! I’ve never ran the test myself but maybe I should do that or just go flex fuel and be done with it!

Cool to hear. Ronnie does amazing work!

Hoping to meet some other car owners when I move down!

The test vial can be bought anywhere (i.e. Amazon). Its a very simple procedure. Ive been on E85 for close to 10 years & still doing it the old school way (No FF kit).

I live in So. Cal & most of our stations are 85% compliant

1hotevo9 May 21, 2018 05:36 PM

Hey Im in Tucson and we still have good e85 up in Pheonix it e55 hard to find e85
ill can get you a list of stations

Tyler J. Weaver May 22, 2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1hotevo9 (Post 11822609)
Hey Im in Tucson and we still have good e85 up in Pheonix it e55 hard to find e85
ill can get you a list of stations

That would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

e_kobz May 22, 2018 09:56 AM

So there’s only handful of ethanol stations in the east valley that carry ethanol. I’ll list them out for you below.

Valero on Higley and Pecos - only carries E54 (always consistent)

Valero on Scottsdale and McKellips- varies between E54 and E85 (never consistent)

Chevron at the Cobblestone Auto Spa on I-10 and Elliot - E54 (always consistent)

Chevron on Val Vista and Broadway - varries between E70 and E85 (this is the best station for ethanol in my opinion. They are a private/family owned gas station and they import their ethanol from Texas)

As far as 93 octane is concerned, we don’t get it here. ACN91 is the highest non ethanol pump gas we get

Hope this helps

e_kobz May 22, 2018 10:01 AM

As far as flex fuel is concerned, I would definitely consider it. I’m running it on my Evo X. It’s so nice to not have to worry about the ethanol content...just fill up and go. When you get here give UMS Tuning a call. A lot of their business is Evo’s and Tony is a phenomenal tuner. He’ll get you taken care if a re-tune is in order

bolothedv May 22, 2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by e_kobz (Post 11822702)
So there’s only handful of ethanol stations in the east valley that carry ethanol. I’ll list them out for you below.

Valero on Higley and Pecos - only carries E54 (always consistent)

Chevron on Val Vista and Broadway - varries between E70 and E85 (this is the best station for ethanol in my opinion. They are a private/family owned gas station and they import their ethanol from Texas)

He's not lying, I back what he says on these stations. I drive to the Chevron (about 9 miles away from me) most of the time.

The bug Dec 11, 2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler J. Weaver (Post 11822528)

Hey man I just moved to AZ myself and I'm in Scottsdale area .Only reAl e85 is going to be In Tucson. Also mesa usually has it .Join my Facebook page E85 Arizona