EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Can an ECU be repaired?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/388727-can-ecu-repaired.html)

eclipzed Dec 20, 2008 03:26 PM

Can an ECU be repaired??

I am curious if anyone knows if I can send my ECU to a place to be repaired. I can read and datalog the ECU and flash it but the car will not start. I put in the right immobilizer code and I even disabled the immobilizer and still will not start. I put in another ECU and it works fine, but I would like to get this ECU repaired.
BTW this is a 03 EVO ECU with 008 ROM.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

tephra Dec 20, 2008 05:13 PM

copy the flash from the one that works to the one that doesn't...

logic Dec 20, 2008 08:13 PM

Ditto what tephra said. Odds are very good that you don't have a physical problem, but that something is wrong with the ROM you've loaded.

If you believe that you really have a hardware problem, try contacting Steve Piette. He does a lot of DSM and 3/S ECU repair work, and might be able to do something with an Evo ECU.

Dyrexion Dec 21, 2008 03:27 AM

last i had that problem it was the injector settings that some how got changed. Once again, do what tephra's suggestin

eclipzed Dec 22, 2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by tephra (Post 6488727)
copy the flash from the one that works to the one that doesn't...

Ok I did try that but with no luck. It just keeps turning over and does not want to fire. That was the initial reason why I bought another ECU.

I will try contacting that Steve guy.

Thanks!

eclipzed Dec 22, 2008 10:40 AM

Steve just got back to me and said he does not do any work on EVO ECU's at this time.

How can I tell if an ECU is fried? I think it might be. I looked at the ECU and nothing seemed burnt. What I don't understand is I can pull it up on OBD2 scan tool, and also flash the rom with ECUFLASH and it still does not fire????? I am at a loss :( I took the exact same flash and put it on the new ecu (changing immobilizer) and it fires right up??

acamus Dec 22, 2008 10:56 AM

it seems either some of capacitors dried out or some of the thyristors went wrong.

logic Dec 22, 2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by eclipzed (Post 6493810)
Steve just got back to me and said he does not do any work on EVO ECU's at this time.

I suspected that might be the case; he usually doesn't like to work on stuff he can't test directly, and last I'd checked with him he didn't have a test rig or spare Evo lying around. ;) But, worth a shot.

Since this is Mitsubishi "quality" electronic engineering we're talking about here, look for any signs of capacitor leakage. :p If that's the case, they'll need to be replaced, and the board under them will need cleaning and some trace repairs performed if any damage has occurred.

srcevo8 Dec 22, 2008 02:15 PM

FWIW...months ago I only had wastegate boost levels so I took it to a dealer. They ended up replacing both my Powertrain Control Module and ECU to fix it (both under warranty). If you get the car physically back to stock, flash a stock map and have it towed to the dealer. If it's truly a bad ECU then they may replace it under warranty.

They didn't even mention that I was tuned when I took my car to them.

Just a thought if you get desperate...

edit: this was an 03 Evo 8 at around 40k miles in July 2008.

eclipzed Dec 22, 2008 02:59 PM

Thanks for the advice but when I bought my car, I found out that my car has a full factory warranty restriction from MMC because of previous owner blew the motor and Mitsu put a brand new one in. Oh well time to look for another ECU for another project car.