Notices
ECU Flash

ECU FLASH Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whats the actual maximum value? In the definition it shows the max display as 319..
Old May 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The boost delay timer is also an invalid map for the 05 ROM.

Jason/AL, thanks for the quick and excellent replies.

Eric
Old May 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Whats the actual maximum value? In the definition it shows the max display as 319..
That's the MAX.... correct
Old May 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks Jason.. I hope all those little hidden data items get into those defs, even if they showup only in the more advanced levels.. I can see some value in using some of them.

Besides injector scaling, are their any MAF specific calibration settings?
Old May 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay.. I see both of them.. The rom I'm using shows the boost cut delay timer as being invalid for ECU MN132874 JM9417

Also the definition file should also have the immobilizer section added since having it written down somewhere will also help if you accidentally flash your ECU with someone elses.
Mallibu, are you going to try to run speed density with the ecuflash only or will you keep the running the UTEC over it?
Old May 10, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

you must be a member and the link is the little paperclip on the right
Old May 10, 2006, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm running a blowthrough unit that has a control box that emulates the MAF output.. I can see this being a AWESOME tool to use in addition to the MAFTPro, ECU+, XEDE, SAFC where your at the mercy of the ECU's limitations set in the rom.. It really does give you 100% more control over things even if your using a piggyback to do a majority of your tuning.

Biggest things for me are making the stock ECU happy with bigger injectors and my MAF curve.. so altering calibrations such as MAF->VE and limiters, injector scaling and latency are all useful for anyone using those tools.
Old May 10, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

OK, Any idea how to fix the Boost Cut Delay Timer map so it works?

Secondly HAS anyone figured out how to shut off the rear o2?
Old May 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noogles
OK, Any idea how to fix the Boost Cut Delay Timer map so it works?

Secondly HAS anyone figured out how to shut off the rear o2?
I will fix the Boost Cut Delay Timer shortly. The rear 02 sensor shut off is very complex (OBD II), this will take some time to figure out. OBD II has about 270 subroutines alone, and maybe more. So this will take some time to go through and figure out how it all works. So anything with turning off Check Engine Light, please remember this post... "COMPLEX" and it's not going to happen over night.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b0ostedEV08
I will fix the Boost Cut Delay Timer shortly. The rear 02 sensor shut off is very complex (OBD II), this will take some time to figure out. OBD II has about 270 subroutines alone, and maybe more. So this will take some time to go through and figure out how it all works. So anything with turning off Check Engine Light, please remember this post... "COMPLEX" and it's not going to happen over night.

Thats totally cool, believe me we all apreciate what you are doing. Take your time.

IS there a spread sheet or document showing the adresses of diffrent functions so that we can try and make our own definitions and edit them such as a true 2 step limiter.

I'd love to be able to help in any way i can, i figure the more of the simple stuff we can figure out on our own the more time you and colby have to figure out the "complex stuff"
Old May 11, 2006, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Yeah, looking at the maps it appears that they are scaled to ~1.6 bar. Can you rescale the load axis for higher boost or does one just have to deal with the highest load bins when going beyond that load range?

Also, razor, while the load axis is "pressure," its important to remember that its a calculated value that takes into account very many things and ultimately relys on the maf which obviously isn't concerned with manifold pressure. I would not expect the ecu to jump right over to ~240 and then just drop straight down in that load column as the revs rise (not to mention, are we looking at total timing and then the ecu subtracts whatever it determines is necessary based on it's subroutines, etc?)
I posted a neat little graph on this page: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62689

It shows calculated boost using RPM and MAF readings. I used a "fudge factor" of 3800 to get it scaled correctly. If you do the unit conversions, it doesn't work out to the actual boost pressure at the manifold. I'm curious about the formula that is used to convert MAF/RPM into the % load that the software/ROM uses. I have other graphs, data and formulas at home. I'll post them later tonight if I have time.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:19 AM
EvoM Guru

as far as I can tell, its a calculated Baro value, there are other calibration items for the MAF not currently shown in the definition files, but the MAF value is in some way converted to a calculated baro pressure, 100% being 1 bar (Approx) Thats the closest "Guess" we were able to make on how it works but it only has to work well enough for you to find the right cells to put data in, so its exact value isn't that important, only that your tuning the right cells.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

as far as I can tell, its a calculated Baro value, there are other calibration items for the MAF not currently shown in the definition files, but the MAF value is in some way converted to a calculated baro pressure, 100% being 1 bar (Approx) Thats the closest "Guess" we were able to make on how it works but it only has to work well enough for you to find the right cells to put data in, so its exact value isn't that important, only that your tuning the right cells.
You're right, but why do you use the term "baro pressure." Isn't barometric pressure defined as the pressure of the atmosphere? Maybe that's not what you mean. If you are refering to barometric pressure, how is it relevant to the ECU?

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/barometric+pressure
Old May 11, 2006, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah actually I did mean that... 100% load would be sea level (1 atm), anything above that would be a boost value, anything below that would be engine vacuum.. It seems to be the way they are determining load cells.. Since our cars don't have a high pressure map sensor, the values are probably based on several values to determine this.. (Map sensor for engine vacuum, MAF frequency and RPM to determine boost based on the map sensors initialization value, etc..) Since I don't know for sure, I can only guess, and this was the best guess I could come up with.

I also think there may have some Volumetric Efficiency correction calculated in..
Old May 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

It also makes sense because when you look at the timing map, you start to see timing values at higher RPM that you would only see while decelerating, and those are in the 0-100% columns..

Quick Reply: ECU FLASH Tuning Questions