Notices
ECU Flash

280's Map

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess thats why Al says you always need to run preimum fuel with his flashes.

Personally I wouldn't want to modify my low octain map for the simple reason if I get a bad tank of gas I would like the ECU to have the room to compensate.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the beauty of tuning. You can do what you want to suit your needs. Everyone has different opinions on tuning, but there is really no right or wrong way.

Eric
Old May 11, 2006, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very true, by flattening the maps, you give the car a consistent tune, however you do also remove some of the safety you gain by having a low octane map thats conservative.
Old May 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Very Very True, I would never flaten both maps out, if anything i would detune the low octane map for an increased level of safety.

Yes I have a fuel Pump.
Old May 12, 2006, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Nice man, I'm looking at my dynoflash setup and the hi/lo octane fuel/timing maps are the same.
I downloaded two different Evo 8 maps from the openecu.com forums that Colby said were stock. The hi octane fuel and timing maps were the same as the lo octane fuel and timeing maps. Is the ECU set up this way in stock form?

Last edited by AutoXer; May 12, 2006 at 04:13 AM. Reason: wording was confusing
Old May 12, 2006, 03:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by A418t81
Well yeah, I know that And I am looking for detail here It worked out well either way that this is the case as I used to worry what my Xede was doing when/if the ECU floated maps. Guess that concern was for nothing

Do you know what the conditions/triggers are and the values needed to float maps?
Well there is a what we call a "Octane Value" which this value is stored into RAM. The knock sensor is what determines this value. This value in decimal ranges from 0 to 255. Closer to "0" the ECU reads more of the High Octane Fuel and Ignition Maps. If this value is in the middle between 0 and 255, the ECU uses a little of both maps, something like fazing over. If it's near the "Ocane Value 255" It's all Low Octane Fuel and Ignition maps.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the detailed response, good stuff.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by b0ostedEV08
Well there is a what we call a "Octane Value" which this value is stored into RAM. The knock sensor is what determines this value. This value in decimal ranges from 0 to 255. Closer to "0" the ECU reads more of the High Octane Fuel and Ignition Maps. If this value is in the middle between 0 and 255, the ECU uses a little of both maps, something like fazing over. If it's near the "Ocane Value 255" It's all Low Octane Fuel and Ignition maps.
I figured this was the case.. Which is what always concerned me about flashes, if the maps were flattened (set equal) wouldn't that have removed all the safety that the ECU offered? I understand that doing that gives you a nice stable tune to work from if your using a XEDE or another system that needs it..
Old May 12, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I figured this was the case.. Which is what always concerned me about flashes, if the maps were flattened (set equal) wouldn't that have removed all the safety that the ECU offered? I understand that doing that gives you a nice stable tune to work from if your using a XEDE or another system that needs it..
Did you miss my comment? In the stock maps that I've looked at from the openecu.com website, the hi and lo maps are the same(except for one value). So, it appears that there is no safety net in the stock maps via the hi/lo octane mapping. That is, assuming that I'm looking at stock maps.
Old May 12, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoXer
Did you miss my comment? In the stock maps that I've looked at from the openecu.com website, the hi and lo maps are the same(except for one value). So, it appears that there is no safety net in the stock maps via the hi/lo octane mapping. That is, assuming that I'm looking at stock maps.

I am looking at the JM9693 map and there definitly is a difference between the maps.
Old May 12, 2006, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AutoXer
It probably wasn't a stock map... Every stock map I looked at had a low octane and high octane map that was unique..
Old May 12, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Agent-Smith
I am looking at the JM9693 map and there definitly is a difference between the maps.

Exactly. I noticed the samething with that ROM. My TT tune was varied as well.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't notice any difference in the ignition maps with the ROM i downloaded...I believe it was the one in the 2nd thread (there were 3 when I downloaded it).
Old May 12, 2006, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

I thnk that might have also been the file I had trouble with.. (The Defs were incomplete)
Old May 12, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
I didn't notice any difference in the ignition maps with the ROM i downloaded...I believe it was the one in the 2nd thread (there were 3 when I downloaded it).
http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=273
http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=275

Colby said that these were stock maps. I'll take another look once I get home this evening, but I believe both of these has lo/hi octane maps there matched. I'll post screen shots later.

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=274

This one wouldn't load any maps. I didn't mess with it to try to figure out what was wrong.

Quick Reply: 280's Map