Notices
ECU Flash

tweaking maps

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tweaking maps

I finally got a chance to mess with this software. I'm very impressed with what little I've seen so far. Below is a pic of one of the EVO stock High Octain fuel maps.

I hope this pic can be seen clearly... if you already have an ECUFlash cable and software no doubt you've seen this before. I'm amazed at how quick and easy you can edit these maps. They work just like an excel spreadsheet but just with much less options...

Below is the same map which I've tweaked a little.

Now, I haven't actually put this one in the ECU yet to try out because the WB isn't hooked up at the moment. But I don't think its too aggressive based on other maps that I've seen so far.

I basically just made the lowest AFR possible a 10.5:1 instead of 8.7:1 like the stock map and then "tweaked" some of the spots where I though I would be spending the most driving time.

lets see what you've done and discuss...
Old May 13, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Just make sure that you have a wideband hooked up before you upload the map. Id also smooth out the transition in columns 10-80 to rows 500-1500 rpms.
Old May 13, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Just make sure that you have a wideband hooked up before you upload the map. Id also smooth out the transition in columns 10-80 to rows 500-1500 rpms.
those sections of the map I left just as they came from the factory. I was thinking I wouldn't be spending that much time between 500-1500rpm.

my wb is hardwired into another car at the moment. I'm going to need to get another one before I can really have some fun
Old May 13, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
those sections of the map I left just as they came from the factory. I was thinking I wouldn't be spending that much time between 500-1500rpm.

my wb is hardwired into another car at the moment. I'm going to need to get another one before I can really have some fun
Interesting. The stock map I DL from openecu has 14.7 in the 500 rpm row. The low octane map, however looks similar to yours.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a tame map, the one i have on my car at the moment is set to 11.4 AF and 22 degree timming at 7500 rpm.

I've done a few logs and aren't showing any signs knock.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

noogles post ur map please
Old May 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Noggles Timing Map

Here you go, please make sure you have 91 octane and a fuel pump, 93 is recomended though.

I noticed your selling your services for flashes, Don't try and load this map onto another persons car, chances are you will blow the motor, this is ment just as a referance of what is possible with a well maintained well tunned car.

the ISCV steps are to high for a stock car to so it won't idle well either.

Last edited by Noogles; May 13, 2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

wouldnt this be specific to your vehicle only?
Old May 13, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

yes and no, it could be adapted very quickly if you knew what you were doing.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

ive read that you should tune using a datalogger using nbo2 values and then using a wideband to verify?
Old May 13, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

the o2 sensor voltage can be used kind of as a guide. .92 volts is generally considered safe as long as the sensor is accurate (leaded gas has a tendency to slow the response and accuracy of the sensor) i always tune with a wideband no matter what.
Old May 14, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thekuai
ive read that you should tune using a datalogger using nbo2 values and then using a wideband to verify?
This is just my opinion but I think thats messed up your charging people money for those services listed in your sig. You should be supporting the ECUFlash /OpenECU community and telling people to impower themselfs by D/L the free software and purchasing an $89.00 cable. Not trying to make a quick buck. Its obvious by your questions that you know very little about how to tune an engine. This is a very powerful tool and it takes some responsablity to use it correctly. We can't have people out there that don't know jack about a map trying to be a 'tooner.' Chances are good that your going to mess someones car up.

The people who did the inital research and development for you/us should be the ones getting the benifits. That way they can invest more time/money into the program and keep it evolving.

This is just my opinion, sorry for the rant to anyone who reads this post.... back on topic.
Old May 14, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noogles
Thats a tame map, the one i have on my car at the moment is set to 11.4 AF and 22 degree timming at 7500 rpm.

I've done a few logs and aren't showing any signs knock.
I'm glad that you say its tame. I'm trying to take very little steps here and monitor the results. I have a few ideas I want to try out but I'll have to wait until I purchase another wb02. I'm just not comfortable doing all my tuning with a pocketlogger anymore.

I've seen one of your other maps you posted in another thread and they looked pretty aggressive for my stock car. If you aren't getting signs of knock thats awesome. Are you running alky at all?
Old May 14, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noogles
Noggles Timing Map

Here you go, please make sure you have 91 octane and a fuel pump, 93 is recomended though.

I noticed your selling your services for flashes, Don't try and load this map onto another persons car, chances are you will blow the motor, this is ment just as a referance of what is possible with a well maintained well tunned car.

the ISCV steps are to high for a stock car to so it won't idle well either.
I just took a look at that fuel map... compaired to the one i posted above which is IMO just a step leaner then the stock map yours is VERY aggressive. I think it looks good though. How much boost are you pushing? and what are you mods if you don't mind me asking?

I like how you kept it fat around peak TQ but I'd be scared to run that lean in the higher RPM under the 200+ load sections.
Old May 14, 2006, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting you point that out.. I made a recent observation on my car, that I had be progressively making more and more aggressive tunes on pump gas, And I kept trying to figure it out, then I made the connection, gasoline in my area has 10% ethanol and since we switched over, I had been able to run a little more boost and slightly leaner than I did previously.. I don't know if it gained any power, but I would no longer get knock events that I might a year before. Now, this could be due to several things, but I found it interesting.

Like Opinions, Tuning a car is like a butthole, everyone has one and most stink..

Quick Reply: tweaking maps