Notices
ECU Flash

Used ECUflash today - WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't adjust close-loop fuel with the existing fuel maps. You would need some kind of O2 sensor offset.

So, what you mentioned about putting fuel at 13.xx, wouldn't cause you to idle at 13.xx. The ECU will still use the O2 feedback to idle at a stoich 14.7. All you are doing is messing up your closed-loop fuel trims.

I would move your fuel settings back to normal until someone finds a definition for an O2 offset or something similar to where you can actually control the closed-loop AFR.

Just use the Idle RPM and timing maps to help your cams idle. Also, if you have and adjustable cam gear, you can try to decrease overlap a bit, but I am assuming that you just have stock cam gears and want to use ECUFlash to tune the cams.

Eric
Good point...I'd forgotten all about this aspect of closed loop until now. BTW, how do we differentiate between the closed loop portion vs. open loop? Or should we go about assuming that the maps we are editing are "WOT" maps to begin with?
Old May 16, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually what i am trying to do as i type this is force the computer to idle in open loop, by doing so i should have full control of idle with the stock ECU until the software is fully developed.

Last edited by Noogles; May 16, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You can expand it to one more column, also don't forget the low octane timing also, its possible your sitting on either, or in between..

For idle adjustments like this would you recommend having the high/low octane maps mirror each other? Right now I have the stated adjustments to the high maps, but only increased the low maps to the average of the high/stock values.
Old May 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noogles
actually what i am trying to do as i type this is force the computer to idle in open loop by setting the open loop throttle load to 0v in in the 500 and 1000 rpm cell and the open loop load map to 10% in the 500 and 1000 rpm cell.

then i should have full control of the ECU at idle until the software is fully developed.

I had over looked the closed loop condition too at idle. If this works let us know.
Old May 16, 2006, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by anjapower
Good point...I'd forgotten all about this aspect of closed loop until now. BTW, how do we differentiate between the closed loop portion vs. open loop? Or should we go about assuming that the maps we are editing are "WOT" maps to begin with?
This is true, your editing an open loop map (in any region) of those maps, when the car goes into closed loop, your fuel trims will determine how close your open loop settings are to the closed loop setting it wants to run, but it helps in startup and warmup when the car runs open loop..

The car will settle on its own once its running closed loop at 1000rpm. Its really when the trims are so far out of range that it can't alter them, that is when you have trouble with it swinging back and forth.

However, there is a MAF scaling table in the new release (with the new definitions) that might help you a bit, since the VE of the engine is altered with the cams at idle, some of those values may be of use.

But in total honesty, I'm not sure why your having an issue, I can get a nearly perfect idle with almost any cams using only minor adjustments to the RPM settings, stepper settings, and the fuel tables.. Cams with aggressive overlap can use a bit more timing just to create more exhaust gas and help scavanging a little (this is typical with aftermarket turbos because their heavier internals act as an intake restriction at idle)

You can also alter the Injector Scaling parameter slightly, this will globally alter the fueling, you can see it already since its running "513" when our injectors are 550 (approx)..

There are other tables being discovered every day, and other things that will help more over time. If the O2 closed loop target table is found, you can actually do this a little bit easier in closed loop.
Old May 16, 2006, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
For idle adjustments like this would you recommend having the high/low octane maps mirror each other? Right now I have the stated adjustments to the high maps, but only increased the low maps to the average of the high/stock values.

Yes, at idle the values in the low octane and high octane maps should be the same, I think they actually are in most of the ECU maps I've seen anyway. but the reason for that is the "octane trim" that is maintained by the ecu could mean you could be in one map, the other map, or somewhere in between at any time.. if you alter one, without the other, you may find conditions where the car may idle and start differently depending on what map your in.

If you find you go lean on tip-in, thats what the accel enrichment is for (Tip-in) I remember older carb engines getting knock frequently because of the "accelerator pump" not working and tipping in very lean, or stumbling from too much fuel..

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 16, 2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Jack,

what do you think of my idea of running it in open loop at idle.
Old May 16, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
But in total honesty, I'm not sure why your having an issue, I can get a nearly perfect idle with almost any cams using only minor adjustments to the RPM settings, stepper settings, and the fuel tables.. Cams with aggressive overlap can use a bit more timing just to create more exhaust gas and help scavanging a little (this is typical with aftermarket turbos because their heavier internals act as an intake restriction at idle)

How would you go about adjusting the stepper settings? Ill update a few parameters tonight and see what i can come up with. If you wouldnt mind taking a look at my map id be happy to send it over to see what you have to say.
Old May 16, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

You use the "desired ISCV initial Step position AC XXX"

1) First you set your desired Idle RPM in neutral and in drive

2) Raise the ISCV setting in each of the 4 fields (AC on Neutral, AC On Drive, AC off Neutral, And AC off Drive) so that it smoothes itself out and no longer "hunts for idle)

3) With the new Software you can use the Idle Stepper Motor Look-up table to fine tune the idle so it's almost stock like.
Old May 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Noogles
Jack,

what do you think of my idea of running it in open loop at idle.
Technically that would make passing a sniffer test more difficult, and your car may have more trouble adjusting when there's changing load on the engine, such as a/c compressor, power steering pump, alternator.. I don't forsee it being really bad, but I never tried it on an Evo, all I can suggest is its preferrable to work within the confines of "Normal operation" of the ECU. If you give it a bit more time, there may be a few additional useful tables added that might help your quest.
Old May 16, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I don't doubt that Jason and Colby will decode the idle fuel table, i'm just thinking temporary quick fix.
Old May 16, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
The the openecu guys' credit, development has been going on a lot longer than a few weeks. It mainly the completion of the workig cables that sparked so much interest by the general community.

d
I understand that they have been working on subies and other cars for sometime, however like you said haveing this working product out and the cables is something alot of evo owner/tuners have been waiting for.

I would like to thank everybody involved with bringing this program this far.
I know countless hours have been put into this by people doing it for no monitary reward, just personal satisfaction.

I clicked the donation tab @ the openecu site and all that is there is the catalog to buy the cables. I already bought the cable and wanted to donate to help further the cause but did not see any where to donate. Maybe I will just buy another cable

Do you want/need my stock evo 9 rom for your database to help crack the evo 9 roms

Last edited by andenbre; May 16, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb Where is the best place?

I am a mechanic by trade so I am good with a wrench. I am getting an EVO IX when I leave the sandbox...and I am extremely interested in learning how to tune. I downloaded ECUflash the other day and have been picking at it at any possible freetime.....Of course with no car to look at real maps but I have the example....any place I can go for more info on tuning....or if someone wants to teach me I am willing to learn...and before any comments are made...i's no duumii
Or send me a cable for a Hummer and I will **** up my commanders Hummer trying to figure it all out....
Thanks
Old May 16, 2006, 07:57 PM

EcuFlash will recognize when a cable is plugged in after the program is loaded. You do need to make an initial device selection using the Option|Ports menu though. After that you should be able to plug the cable in only when you need it without having to restart the software.

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
The only "issue" was that the USB cable has to be connected before you open the software - no biggie.
Old May 16, 2006, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I have done that, I only plug the cable in when I need it.. once the device shows up and you configure it the first time, you can use the software in the future and plug the cable in only when you want to read or flash..

Quick Reply: Used ECUflash today - WOW!!