Notices
ECU Flash

Injector Scaling with ECU Flash

Old May 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by racegate
I almost think it would be easier if the number displayed in the fuel map was the actual bit value (0-255). Because having a 'calculated' value there, and the inj scalar not really corresponding to an actual inj size somewhat muddles things. If there were a scalar number, which was multiplied by the bit value displayed, then one could fairly quickly rough the on-time needed for various fuel setups to do base mapping very qucikly. And it would make scaling for various fuel systems very straight forward using standard math and no conversions. Maybe if there could be a toggle to between a raw value, and calculated value, it might be useful?
You can actually change that yourself.. Change the scaling in the defintions to uint16 or uint8
Old May 18, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes..I see the option to change the displayed value and the equation....once again proving how flexible and great this software is.
Old May 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

I actually did something similar on mine for some of the tables..
Old May 18, 2006, 09:35 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

From my experience going from a stock injector to the larger injectors we use you can adjust inj. scaling but it's not a straight shot across the board. You really don't have to take out that much fuel on the lower load levels to keep fuel trims near zero. Take out too much and the car runs like crap. For example, going from the stock injector to a 680cc/min inj (ours) there is very little you need to do a low load levels & rpm levels (low pulsewidth conditions), but you do need to remove quite a bit of fuel at higher PW's.

Ford EEC tuning Ted? EECTuner all the way!!
Old May 18, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
From my experience going from a stock injector to the larger injectors we use you can adjust inj. scaling but it's not a straight shot across the board. You really don't have to take out that much fuel on the lower load levels to keep fuel trims near zero. Take out too much and the car runs like crap. For example, going from the stock injector to a 680cc/min inj (ours) there is very little you need to do a low load levels & rpm levels (low pulsewidth conditions), but you do need to remove quite a bit of fuel at higher PW's.
Do you think this partially has to do with the dual circuit for the fuel pump? When switched over to the higher voltage circuit, depending on the fuel pump and fuel modifications (fpr, lines, etc), the fpr may be overrun a bit more at the switchover point causing the fuel pressure to rise, which basically makes your injectors seem larger than normal.

If this was the case though, I would imagine the effect to diminish as RPMS increase, since the injectors would be cosuming much more fuel.

Eric
Old May 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I almost think it would be easier if the number displayed in the fuel map was the actual bit value (0-255). Because having a 'calculated' value there, and the inj scalar not really corresponding to an actual inj size somewhat muddles things. If there were a scalar number, which was multiplied by the bit value displayed, then one could fairly quickly rough the on-time needed for various fuel setups to do base mapping very qucikly. And it would make scaling for various fuel systems very straight forward using standard math and no conversions. Maybe if there could be a toggle to between a raw value, and calculated value, it might be useful?

Yea that would be nice but beggars cant be choosers lol, Its freeware the guy has already still did an awesome job. I can think of plenty requests to add also like speed density, cell block follow, on the fly tuning hahaha, but we cant complain its free.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
After thinking about it more, it is probably simply due to the fact of the increased deadtime (latency) of the bigger injectors.

It will have less of an effect at idle because of the relatively low pulsewidth compared to say, cruise, where the pulsewidth would be roughly double, say 1ms-2ms. I have seen numbers like this with DSMLink.

That latency or deadtime of the injector may be matched nearly perfectly for the 1ms of so of pulsewidth at idle, but when you get to much larger pulsewidths, that latency is getting to be a much smaller percentage of the total pulsewidth time, so now, more fuel must be removed.

For example, say that your injectors are 10% larger than stock, but the deadtime is .1ms (100uS) more than stock. At a 1ms injector pulsewidth that would cancel out and your idle would be mostly unaffected (you're getting 10% more fuel, but at 10% less time (.9ms)). But now at a larger pulsewidth like say 5ms, you're getting 10% more fuel due to the 10% larger injectors, all but this is in 4.9 ms in actual time due to the .1ms deadtime increase. So, you;re really only losing 2% of time. This percentage would go down as the injector pulsewidth goes up.

So, this would go in line exactly with what you have experienced.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 18, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You can actually change that yourself.. Change the scaling in the defintions to uint16 or uint8
But when you change the scalings to units the numbers are all wierd in some spots. Does it actually calculate accurately. Like for example if I change the injector scaling to raw fuel is it calculated already or do i need to edit the scaling? I changed the scaling on the high fuel map and it only goes to 120 load, but the low map goes to 260 still. All I did was change to units no other edits
Old May 18, 2006, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

You have to verify that your using the same scaling units on both maps... I've noticed one or two duplicate scalings that were named slightly differently.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You have to verify that your using the same scaling units on both maps... I've noticed one or two duplicate scalings that were named slightly differently.
I did use it on both maps.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Oddly enough, the byte order looks reversed..
Old May 18, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I figured it out. When you make that change you must exit the software and reenter and everything looks normal
Old May 18, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Just one more question, do you also have to change the scaling on the evo7base also? Or can you just leave it alone
Old May 18, 2006, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

If you do it on the base, it should carry over to the ECU specific ones, at least if you create new definitions..
Old May 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Remember... the injectors are scaled in this fashion to 513cc, because you have other calculations before the final pulsewidth. Such as MAF, Engine temp, Air temp, Barometric Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Low speed fuel pump operation at low engine loads and last and final and most "Battery Voltage Compensation" Now with all these compensations and going thru every subroutine and doing the calculations... it comes out very close to 560cc.