Notices
ECU Flash

Boost question

Old May 28, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You can use an MBC and set it manually to 19psi (or any reasonable setting for that matter) or you can alter the settings in the ECU to remove the tapering feature.
Actually Jack, a MBC will not let you hold boost solid to redline, even at 19 psi. I know, because I have one.

People are preaching that the stock turbo just "isnt efficient" enough to hold boost to redline, but that's a lie. The turbo is plenty efficient, and will hold a max of about 26psi to redline before running into efficiency issues.

The only proven method I have seen that allows you to hold boost solidly through all gears and rpms is upgrading the wastegate actuator.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffR116
Actually Jack, a MBC will not let you hold boost solid to redline, even at 19 psi. I know, because I have one.

People are preaching that the stock turbo just "isnt efficient" enough to hold boost to redline, but that's a lie. The turbo is plenty efficient, and will hold a max of about 26psi to redline before running into efficiency issues.

The only proven method I have seen that allows you to hold boost solidly through all gears and rpms is upgrading the wastegate actuator.

what kind of waste gate actuator are you talking about anway ? is it forge??
Old May 29, 2006, 06:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffR116

It depends on ALOT of factors, but I do have an MBC on my car that holds a solid 21psi through redline. I do prefer closed loop electronic boost control however..

And the stock actuator can easily hold 21 psi (and more in some configurations).. Most actuators have not been correctly preloaded which is likely the reason why they aren't holding correctly. Also, 80% of the cars have other issues, boost leaks, inadequate signal to the DV causing it to open early, insufficient spring pressure in the DV, etc..

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 29, 2006 at 06:37 AM.