Notices
ECU Flash

What to use for DataLogging

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
why not use the Turbo Xs Tuner Pro, it has wideband, rpm, boost, knock, and ect... so on.. and its small and nice with a lot of good things added, i thing that is the way to go, cheap and easy to use and good logger.

Not a bad idea,however from experiance its not all that nice, easiest way for me to express my Feelings on ANYTHING Turbo XS made it PPOOOOPPPPPP. I hated it when i had it. Its not really Cheap either, and if you ever lose any of the parts its almost worth buying a new one. Id stick with Zeitronix at that point.

in Addition, ECU+ is a very powerful interface, and i would love to get my hands on it. IMOP, i think its the most effective one out there, excellent logging From what i have heard, i have had the chance to tune one and loved every min of it.

But only time will tell, ECU flash was devolped this fast im sure all the little features would be as well.

This was my idea for my setup 20G, Comp Cams 280s, Alky, all supporting mods. maybe a 100 shot of Giggle gas So what i wanted to do was find the parematers to the intercooler sprayer and use it as a flip switch for this new tune, i know that you can have 2 tunes on ECU flash and that would be my agressive street map if you will. I dont know if possible BUT id like to have it Retard timing boost, n20 if lets say there is a lean conition, or knock count is too high, ECT. Im not too sure how im going to make this all work yet, but i think it will

Last edited by Spooldyou; Jun 3, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking at the tronix log from the knock buffer I would say both pulls had a knock event. I should note that I had and used the xede smart system for awhile and found it to be less usefull than I had expected it to be. Unless you drive around with a laptop open everyday that data would be very hard to decipher.

As for the ECU+ its no different than any other piggyback/pocketlogger combo. It's still isn't going to log as fast as we truely need it to.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
I've never heard that Innovate product log at 1000 s/sec. Also, if you look every where on Innovate website and look though all the manuals, they all say 12 s/sec.
Like I said, I am interested in more information on how everyone is coming up with their declared sample rates. I guess the important one for most people is the data output rate. I think that's what most of us have meant when we say "sample rate."

Originally Posted by Zeitronix
From an email
The Zt-2 internal sampling and processing rate is 1000/s. The serial data output is 74/s
It appears that the Innovate and Zeitronix have comparable internal sample rates, but the Zeitronix has the vastly superior output rate.

As for ignition timing, a member here posted that he had his Innovate setup logging quite a number of useful parameters. Link. The DL-32 is pretty pricey, so it's worth investigating how much of that the LMA-3 can do.

Last edited by ScrappyJack; Jun 3, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I didn't say it does all the loggin by OBDII, but it gets timing log from OBDII protocol or what not..
Nope, it gets it from the crank and cam signals. The same signals the stock ECU gets it from. Not OBDII
Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't say it does all the loggin by OBDII, but it gets timing log from OBDII protocol or what not. I know it has a deticated knock circuit that works very well.
Actually the logging of timing in ECU+ is through the CAS signal directly.. The OBD-II tool isn't completely integrated into logging at this point (the software portion) so all of the data you log, is directly from all the sensor inputs.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, after looking at all the options (Great info on this thread btw), I think the LM-1 with AUX box is the best and most cost effective. Here is why;

LM1 + Aux box cost is $589 and out of the box you get the following items logged:
RPM, Duty Cycle, Speed, TPS, AFR, Timing, Boost, and Knock (via 5v input)

Along with this you also have the added benefit of a built in accelerometer, which is a great tool that can be used to find weak spots in your tune. It is also portable, so you can use it on your buddies car, doesnt require any splicing, and cheaper then any of the other solutions. Not to mention that it will be nativley supported in EcuFlash in the future.

I really believe this is by far the best solution. Thanks to all for the great feedback on this thread!

References:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...Manual_1.7.pdf
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/p...s/MTS_grid.php
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm
http://www.ecuplus.com/buy.htm
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Nope, it gets it from the crank and cam signals. The same signals the stock ECU gets it from. Not OBDII
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Actually the logging of timing in ECU+ is through the CAS signal directly.. The OBD-II tool isn't completely integrated into logging at this point (the software portion) so all of the data you log, is directly from all the sensor inputs.
Thanks for clarifing that, I though that since OBDII logger gets the timing info from the ODBII protocol and since the ECU+ has OBDII ability, though it got it from there.

Also, on the ECU+ website, under Features, it list loggin "timing advance" under the OBDII part of features....

New! Integrated full-featured OBD-II code scanner/reader (1995+ DSMs and the EVO8). Includes real-time display of engine parameters from the stock ECU's point of view including:

* Fuel system status (open/closed loop)
* RPM
* Vehicle speed
* O2 sensor voltages
* Short and long-term fuel trims
* Throttle position
* Manifold pressure
* Coolant and air temperature
* MAS air flow
* Timing advance
* All other real-time data supported by your stock ECU in OBD-II mode 1
Old Jun 3, 2006, 07:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep, it reads it in real-time from the OBD-II data stream, but the values in that screen are unrelated to the logging.. At the moment the OBD-II data is not logged with the other data.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

I got a question
i just bought an OBD2 computer interface and will use it with my laptop and the proscan 4.0 software.
one of the logging features it will have is ignition timing. should those numbers be the same numbers as the high octane ignition map in the ecu?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well, thats a loaded question. The numbers in your High Octane map are the numbers the car will shoot for in that load cell. It doesnt mean you will hit them, just that it will attempt to hit those numbers.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
I got a question
i just bought an OBD2 computer interface and will use it with my laptop and the proscan 4.0 software.
one of the logging features it will have is ignition timing. should those numbers be the same numbers as the high octane ignition map in the ecu?
It could possibly take an average between 2 load points or also maybe if it slightly sees knock it may take an average between what you have on your high oct ignition map @ a given load point vs what you have on your low octane map @ that same given load point. Just a guess.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well seems like this guy has a surprise for the EVO 8 owners, I been keeping up with this thread for a new datalogger for Evo thru same cable that ecu flash uses.

Quote: from openecu.org

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
Prototype is working extremely well with OpenPort 1.3M cable. (Thanks RallyCam for lending me your cable)

Supported Vehicles:
Prototype has been tested as working on JDM Evo 4
Prototype has been tested as working on US Evo 8 (Thanks Maalanar)

New Features:
11) Realtime Graphing support
12) Individual data value validation

Screenshots will be posted tomorrow
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

well since AL made the high and low octane maps the same, thats out of the question, lol
Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yea lol and I definetly don't know how you have more timing than me. It is suppose to decrease as the boost goes up not increase. Every ignition map I have ever seen or used on any of my cars has a sort of step retard in timing even the stock map when I looked at it, but my mail in has like 8 degrees straight across the board from 160% load point to 260% load point and yours was 9 straight across with more boost that was when I was like something aint right. It was good for removing the stock restrictions at least though.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by elhalisf
well since AL made the high and low octane maps the same, thats out of the question, lol
Fortunately his through the mail tunes are safe enough that there's really no need to be concerned about it.

Quick Reply: What to use for DataLogging