Notices
ECU Flash

What to use for DataLogging

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to use for DataLogging

Hey all i wanted to knew if there is any software out there yet for datalogging, this would help a lot in the tuning world. thanks. and or other ways to data log
Old May 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
Hey all i wanted to knew if there is any software out there yet for datalogging, this would help a lot in the tuning world. thanks. and or other ways to data log

I think the creator of ecu flash is working on datalogging software, in the meantime you can use something like a pocketlogger, or obdguage, or palmnstein. I prefered to use obd guage very nice setup but each to their own here is a pic for you.

Old May 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what I've read the ECUFlash guys are working on datalogging software to use with the Mitsuport 1.3 cable. until that happens though you have a bunch of options, it basically comes down to how much you want to spend. ECU+ is on the upper end of the scale but its an excellent choice when it comes to datalogging.

A more cost effective route which I took was to use a pocketlogger device. It will let you monitor timing, RPM, TPS & caculated load, and narrowband o2 voltage. Basically anything you car view through the OBD2 port. Those parimeters are a good start for tuning your car. The main thing your missing though is a wideband reading.

For wideband readings ECUFlash has said they will be incorporating the innovative LC-1 wideband cotroller into their upcoming datalogging software. I am a big fan of the innovative stuff. I've had their products on my EVO before and I have them on another car currently.

An awesome feature with the LC-1 is that you can use the (2) analog outputs to #1: simulate the narrowband o2 voltage the stock ECU would usually to avoid getting a CEL. This comes in handy if your running a test pipe in your exhaust.
#2: is the ability to use the other analog output to feed the WBO2 signal to the pocketlogger to actually display as the value of the rear o2 sensor.

Now your pocketlogger is an extreamly powerful tool you can use to monitor timing, A/F, load, RPM and almost everything else needed to tune your car.
Old May 29, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I bought Dyno-scan on Ebay a couple years ago. It is good for clearing codes and has a dyno feature that calculates HP and Torque.

http://www.auterraweb.com/dynoscankitwindows.html
Old May 30, 2006, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the ECU+ is actually the only one that offers insight into the data of the sensors itself.. Everything else uses OBD-II which is painfully slow if you log more than two pieces of data at a time.. If you use the ECU+ you definitely have to do the OBD-II Jumper mod (making an external switch) to your box otherwise you'd have to take the cover off and remove the jumper or remove the whole unit to reflash the ECU..

Its also the most expensive.. What I do like about the ECU+ is you can do your realtime tuning on that, and transfer the settings to your maps..

I want to get colby and Tom together to discuss possibly integrating the ability to show your maps (andpossibly reflash) while using the ECU+ and Openport cable..

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 30, 2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Everything else uses OBD-II which is painfully slow if you log more than two pieces of data at a time.
So slow I was practically unable to log timing at WOT. It just doesn't respond as fast as it should.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

the ECU+ is actually the only one that offers insight into the data of the sensors itself.. Everything else uses OBD-II which is painfully slow if you log more than two pieces of data at a time.. If you use the ECU+ you definitely have to do the OBD-II Jumper mod (making an external switch) to your box otherwise you'd have to take the cover off and remove the jumper or remove the whole unit to reflash the ECU..

Its also the most expensive.. What I do like about the ECU+ is you can do your realtime tuning on that, and transfer the settings to your maps..

I want to get colby and Tom together to discuss possibly integrating the ability to show your maps (andpossibly reflash) while using the ECU+ and Openport cable..
I'm right there with you Jack. I mentioned this to Tom a good while ago and again the other day. He seemed really interested in adding it as feature. Could be a really good year for being an ECU+ user.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not to mention the ECU gets "Distracted" when your reving the engine high.. So you don't get consistent refresh of data. Once someone figures out the MUT protocol, if should be able to trigger a raw data stream from the sensors that will output at a much faster rate and give us useful data
Old May 30, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

It doesnt seem reasonable to buy ECU+ (www.ecuplus.com) just for logging purposes, especially since its a piggy back system and ECU Flash, in effect, replaces it. Straight OBD-II logging is really poor Sure cant think of a good, reasonable, solution right now.
Old May 30, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

why not use the Turbo Xs Tuner Pro, it has wideband, rpm, boost, knock, and ect... so on.. and its small and nice with a lot of good things added, i thing that is the way to go, cheap and easy to use and good logger.
Old May 30, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I had problems with the tuner pro, so Im not a big fan of the unit. Specifically, it was difficult to keep the O2 sensor calibrated more then a couple of days, regardless of the O2 sensor. The box, however, was one of the originals (Purchased 3 years ago) and I am certain that they would have fixed the poor electronics used in rev 1 by now.

I was also looking at a similar device from Zeitronix. Anyone use the Zeitronix logger? Or the Innovate logger?
Old May 30, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

ya it would be cool if can make a unit were it just splices into the stock ecu for rpm, throdle and what not... and then have addtion for wideband with outputs and inputs, but i mean cant make every thing work, if only i staded in school for electrial engineering, and also the unit would be small and slim were can hide if behind with the stock ecu, and then you can mount the serial port anywere ya like, or cole it up and be done with it. anyhow just an idea, and then can have a nice app for the grafice and all, also if can have more then 2 ports for input, like for anything ya want will be a input, but then i use its like the ecu+ but diff just a logger not a tuner.

more or less have
RPM and high-resolution RPM (used by street dyno feature)
Boost (requires an optional MAP sensor)
Input and output MAS frequency
Engine load
MAS adjustment
Engine timing
Timing adjustment
Air and coolant temperature
Front and rear O2 sensor
Vehicle speed
Throttle position
Injector pulse width
Injector duty cycle
Knock sensor voltage
EGT
and the list keeps going hahahah copy and paste rocks

Last edited by mike1023; May 30, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Shoot, I'd pay Tom money just to get the same sort of software logging the ECU directly once that's all figured out.
Old May 30, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
So slow I was practically unable to log timing at WOT. It just doesn't respond as fast as it should.
FWIW - Adjusting the byte timing on a PocketLogger can have a huge effect on sample rates. It's still pretty slow at ~18 samples/second, but it's much better than if you leave the original settings. The PocketLogger can also be hooked up to the ZT-2. PocketLogger ZT page or, as stated above, used with the Innovate setup.

Personally, I would prefer a PC/laptop application because I hate having the Palm, plus the laptop, plus all the cables, plus trying to start and stop the Palm, then the laptop, etc. It would be much nicer to be able to hit one button on the laptop to start a log, one button to stop the log, add your notes if applicable, and save it (a la AEM). The main problem right now is that none of the readily available datalogging setups besides the OBD2 loggers will log factory ignition timing.

Actually, I think the Innovate can if you add the LMA-3 Aux Box into the equation but I haven't really gotten any detailed info from anyone who has done that successfully.

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I was also looking at a similar device from Zeitronix. Anyone use the Zeitronix logger? Or the Innovate logger?
There are a bunch of posts on these, including one just a couple of topics down in this forum.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200673
Old Jun 1, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how come ecu+ can read the sensor directly?

It doesnt seem reasonable to buy ECU+ (www.ecuplus.com) just for logging purposes, especially since its a piggy back system and ECU Flash, in effect, replaces it. Straight OBD-II logging is really poor Sure cant think of a good, reasonable, solution right now.
i think this statement is a bit hasty... the ecuflash does not replace ecu+. as already mentioned the ecu+ can tune in real time, this is TOO useful. and of course the logging is "to die for" as some have already fell in love.

I had problems with the tuner pro, so Im not a big fan of the unit. Specifically, it was difficult to keep the O2 sensor calibrated more then a couple of days, regardless of the O2 sensor. The box, however, was one of the originals (Purchased 3 years ago) and I am certain that they would have fixed the poor electronics used in rev 1 by now.

the problem is devices like the zeitronix don't log the timing, but they log everything else useful. if soemthing does then log timing then it does so off the odbii stuff... which is desperately slow.

Last edited by trinydex; Jun 1, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: What to use for DataLogging