Notices
ECU Flash

Immobilizer Question

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Immobilizer Question

I bought a spare ecu for my 03 and have a question about the immoblizer code.

Using the Ecuflash software can I set the code on the spare ecu to match my existing one and will that make it work?

I was told that in order to get the spare ecu to work with the car that the ecu needed to be installed and the dealrship needs to do it using their MUT tool deal.

I was just wondering if setting the code is all that is needed to run a different ecu?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old May 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
Account Disabled

No the spare ecu will work fine as long as you flash it with the same code as the ecu in your car now
Old May 28, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt even think of that. lol sometimes the simple solutions are the hardest to see
Old May 29, 2006, 06:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yeah, it was one of the first things I wanted to know when the OpenPort cable was released.. Since for me swapping ECU's is easier at certain times.. I also do alot of testing and need a backup ECU..

(BTW if anyone has spares I need them)
Old May 29, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to open a rom that had a diff immobiler code and thought I could just change the code, but I see you must actually copy and past the desired settings to a rom that has your own immobilizer code.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

It depends on the Rom.. You have to use a rom file that closely matches the version you have in your car simply because the ECU's have different variations, and its more likely a rom with a large difference in internal ID won't work right, or at all..

The SAFEST way to do it is to copy settings you want into a backup of your own rom.. However there is a glitch in entering hexidecimal numbers, if you use them, it won't work.. the software always expects an integer in the "d=______" field, hopefully that will be addressed and it will always convert it appropriately. For instance, if your immobilizer code is FFFF, the integer value is 65536... For me to do it, I had to take the value ABCD and use windows CALC to convert it from Hex to Decimal (use the scientific setting) the resulting value of ABCD in Hexidecimal is 43981 in Decimal, you would have to enter the decimal conversion value.. If you converted it correctly, the value that shows up in the table will be the right Hex value..
Old May 29, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
For me to do it, I had to take the value ABCD and use windows CALC to convert it from Hex to Decimal (use the scientific setting) the resulting value of ABCD in Hexidecimal is 43981 in Decimal, you would have to enter the decimal conversion value.. If you converted it correctly, the value that shows up in the table will be the right Hex value..
Thanks for all of the great info. I am really interested in this technology but am a major noob at hex code.

Jack is there a difference between using the Ecuflash software and using the "edit" function and just inputting the code "A1B2" for example versus actually editing the hex data?

Thanks for all the info,
Bob
Old May 29, 2006, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Nope, if your comfortable with a hex editor (I use textpad), just go to the address offset and edit it there too.. Save the file, when you load it in ECUFlash it will show up there..
Old May 29, 2006, 02:06 PM

I have a new version ready when I get back next week that allows you to enter hex so you can avoid doing the conversions.

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
It depends on the Rom.. You have to use a rom file that closely matches the version you have in your car simply because the ECU's have different variations, and its more likely a rom with a large difference in internal ID won't work right, or at all..

The SAFEST way to do it is to copy settings you want into a backup of your own rom.. However there is a glitch in entering hexidecimal numbers, if you use them, it won't work.. the software always expects an integer in the "d=______" field, hopefully that will be addressed and it will always convert it appropriately. For instance, if your immobilizer code is FFFF, the integer value is 65536... For me to do it, I had to take the value ABCD and use windows CALC to convert it from Hex to Decimal (use the scientific setting) the resulting value of ABCD in Hexidecimal is 43981 in Decimal, you would have to enter the decimal conversion value.. If you converted it correctly, the value that shows up in the table will be the right Hex value..
Old May 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

There ya go.. I knew it was probably already fixed or at least addressed..
Old May 29, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

DO you think you will be able to program new keys with ecu-flash too???
Old May 29, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

doubt it. that function is in the imobilizer. what this is doing is basicly linking the ecu to the imobilizer. all the key data is in the imobilizer not the ecu
Old May 30, 2006, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

That is correct.. However you can add new keys to the Immobilizer if you follow the instructions in the owners manual.. There is a procedure to do that..
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:11 PM

Now im confused. Do you just highlight the immobilizer code on the pop-up box, then just + or - to get to your ecu's code, or do you have to go into the map editor for the "immobilizer" and change it there somewhere?

I've been looking at this for 2 hours and cant seem to get a hold on what to change. My friend was sent a map without his immobilizer code in it. Al just told me to enter his immobilizer code onto the map he sent, which would be fine if i new where the hell to get it and where to update the numbers.

If someone would like to PM me, please do.

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Check the immobilizer box, then click right on the code to highlight it. Once you click on it it will turn kind of green (you'll be able to tell when it's highlighted). Next hit the "Edit" button to open the menu.

Select "Set Data" from the menu (shortcut is =), you will then get a dailog box to input the code.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Quick Reply: Immobilizer Question