Notices
ECU Flash

Adding additional columns in map definition?

Old May 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding additional columns in map definition?

I'm currently running 27psi with meth, where the difinitions ends at 260% load, I can add 2 additional columns for 280, 300. Will this work just by adding additional columns and then changing the data to match what I'm looking for in A/F target? Or do you have to use the scaling features to make it functional. I am at a lost beyond the 260% load.
Old May 29, 2006, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Doesn't work that way.. You'll have to rescale your MAF or one of the VE tables to reflect the higher boost range.. This is something I've been researching for a bit, and there's a few definitions that may not have been published yet that will allow that.
Old May 29, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Jack, so if I go into edit definition, scaling manager, under load, if I change the the rom values *10/32 to *12/32, the load% table starts at 12 on the top and goes to 312 at the end. Will this work for high boost?
Old May 29, 2006, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

No, it doesnt work that way, the scaling value is ONLY to give us human readable data..

The table size is fixed in size, as it would be in the rom, altering it would overwrite IMPORTANT DATA outside the region..

In order to rescale the actual working area for higher boost pressure, you have to make changes in the ROM, that would be altering the Volumetric Efficiency table, load table, etc, this would allow you to extend the range of the value of the cells, but it WOULD NOT ADD CELLS.

I would suggest that if you aren't really sure what I'm saying, that you don't alter the settings at this point..

The values in the definitions point to the important data, and the scaling and units conversion settings are only to make that data human readable.

In order to give the ECU range for higher boost, you have the make changes to a different table altogether, and it takes trial and error since you would be changing the MAF size, and altering the MAF calibration data.. It means you have to have very good data logging, and the ability to read the MAF values well enough to alter them.
Old May 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
EvoM Guru

and FWIW, I don't even have enough information yet to be able to do this..
Old May 29, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info Jack. You wouldn't know if they'll be coming out with a high boost table soon, would you?
Old May 29, 2006, 08:29 PM

MalibuJack is absolutely right. Scalings should never be changed unless there is some kind of mistake in them or you are attempting to render the human-readable numbers in some other units. Scalings are purely a EcuFlash editor concept and not something the ECU uses internally.

Normally, to accomplish what you are asking, one would change the values in the Load axis to reflect the useful range you need. (The term I want to use is "rescaling", but I think it creates confusion with the unrelated term "scalings" that I use in the previous paragraph). The problem with simply changing the Load axis values is that there are other range limitations in the computation of "Load" - for example the dynamic range of the MAF sensor + frequency converter as implemented in the ECU.

What I'm saying is, you could change your axis to include Load columns up to 500%, but the ECU code may never use the 500% column because of limits in the sensor and the Load computations leading up to indexing into this table. I know Jason is looking into the code surrounding the MAF calculations, so eventually he should be able to give some answers as to how wide a range is possible, and how to rescale the MAF calculations to give it a wider range (up to the limit of the sensor itself, of course).

Last edited by colby; May 30, 2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Hey talk to DB about this Fong, DB also is going to be using Ecuflash. Shane will help you out man.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

I will have some information in the next week or two about rescaling the map to work with higher MAF readings (which represent higher boost levels too) Apparently the MAF will read over 3000hz, though its likely going to be inconsistent above 2800hz, I think the ECU is capable of reading to about 3500hz (no confirmation yet)

You can alter the MAF scale itself so the ECU sees the same value, but assumes its less airflow, in doing that, you can have the higher MAF values register as a lower load value.. I'll be attempting that this weekend.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

someone need to take a look at the well known tunners map for this kind of over loading problem .
Old May 30, 2006, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Of the maps I've seen, they all seemed to use the topmost load when it overloads.. According to something I had read, anything over that point is interpolated, but I think they are tuning that point and letting the interpolation handle it..

The few maps I have seen appeared to not have any alteration to any settings except possibly the idle speed and timing/fuel maps.. Although I never looked at injector scaling or anything at the time.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:22 PM

another caveat:

be aware that some axes are shared between maps. if you change axes values, be sure to check all other maps for axes changes, and adjust the data in these maps to be appropriate for the change.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I will have some information in the next week or two about rescaling the map to work with higher MAF readings (which represent higher boost levels too) Apparently the MAF will read over 3000hz, though its likely going to be inconsistent above 2800hz, I think the ECU is capable of reading to about 3500hz (no confirmation yet)

You can alter the MAF scale itself so the ECU sees the same value, but assumes its less airflow, in doing that, you can have the higher MAF values register as a lower load value.. I'll be attempting that this weekend.
Jack, you think you can do a how to for us beginners
Old May 30, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hawjdude
Hey talk to DB about this Fong, DB also is going to be using Ecuflash. Shane will help you out man.

Thanks, I'll have to give Shane a call.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by colby
MalibuJack is absolutely right. Scalings should never be changed unless there is some kind of mistake in them or you are attempting to render the human-readable numbers in some other units. Scalings are purely a EcuFlash editor concept and not something the ECU uses internally.

Normally, to accomplish what you are asking, one would change the values in the Load axis to reflect the useful range you need. (The term I want to use is "rescaling", but I think it creates confusion with the unrelated term "scalings" that I use in the previous paragraph). The problem with simply changing the Load axis values is that there are other range limitations in the computation of "Load" - for example the dynamic range of the MAF sensor + frequency converter as implemented in the ECU.

What I'm saying is, you could change your axis to include Load columns up to 500%, but the ECU code may never use the 500% column because of limits in the sensor and the Load computations leading up to indexing into this table. I know Jason is looking into the code surrounding the MAF calculations, so eventually he should be able to give some answers as to how wide a range is possible, and how to rescale the MAF calculations to give it a wider range (up to the limit of the sensor itself, of course).
Thanks Colby, your input is much appreciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding additional columns in map definition?