Notices
ECU Flash

HKS RS intake tuning?

Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS RS intake tuning?

Okay so..I'm waiting on my flash to get here from dyno flash but I was looking at maps and had a question. I have looked at some base flashes for stock evo's. They all are very similiar. My question is has anyone tuned their cars for the intake??? I mean, what is it that has to be setup? Is it the maf settings that need to be changed or what ? I can't imagine that fuel and timing are altered that much. Any input would be appreciated. If I don't get my flash by the weekend I may have to try and do this myself. Thanks alot guys

Lj
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the problem with the intake is how it affects the MAF sensor, every one reacts differently so its a guideline, but in general I add about 5% additional fuel in low rpm and midrange to accomodate the way it (Leans the) reading out.. it may be more or less but its necessary since it leans out the midrange and lower RPM range a bit.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:57 AM

so to be on the safe side I could take the "stage 1" base flash fuel maps for a stock evo and add 5% to those portions of the map and I shouldn't risk going lean? Thanks alot I really appreciate your help on this one. Like i said I'm not going to do this but I've been waiting for my new flash to be emailed to me since sunday. I am looking at a flash for a stock evo (that I purchased) and was just thinking about adjusting that for the addition of the intake. Thanks alot

Lj

Last edited by StreakGSX; Jun 7, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Thats a good start.. until you get a good feel for where stuff turns up in the maps, your best increasing the entire region.. "going too lean" is entirely subjective and a result of your type of boost control, timing in the area, etc.. the Evo in general does "Lean spool" a bit until you hit peak torque, so you may sometimes see 12.0 or 13.0 or even leaner on some occasions (lower loads and whatnot) Too rich will slow down the spool of the turbo, just as an FYI
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:13 AM

okay I guess I'll do that then. Atleast I can get started tuning and playing around with my pocketlogger again. its like my GSX all over again w/out the dsmlink tho . Thanks alot =)
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

what about maf scaling?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by andenbre
what about maf scaling?

the maf scaling setting alters the way the ECU globally responds to the readings on the sensor and should not be altered to compensate for this issue...

THe only time you alter the MAF calibration or MAF Scaling values is if you have a large change in the engines airflow (Volumetric efficiency) patterns..

If you raise the value for the scaling, and you didn't alter the MAF itself in any way, then it "Should" tell the ECU that there is more airflow representing a lower Karmann reading, if you lowered the number, then it would be a smaller sensor, therefore a higher karmann reading would represent less air.. IF you did not change your sensor, this would have the affect of globally altering the association of MAF frequency to Mapped cells..

The other table is a calibration table, and alters the value at specific points to compensate for anomolous readings (alterations in intakes, filters, etc..)

Again, if the sensor itself isn't altered, you would be making adjustments for VE at different RPM levels
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

And I would not alter those settings unless you have intimate knowledge of the MAF sensor and what its curve looks like.