Notices
ECU Flash

Starting to tune.. logs and such inside

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does not appear that your injector compensation was done correctly. It appears the tuner did not know how to scale back the injectors without leaning out the whole map.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a few people say that... I'm still a noob at this stuff but I'm a fast learner. I wouldnt feel comfortable starting from scratch thats for sure.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Your maps have been done by an experienced tuner, but to my eyes (experienced Subaru tuner and dabbling on the Evo) they look plain weird.

Usually with RPM and load you expect smooth changes from cell to cell generally running in a predictable direction. As it is your fuel map especially is full of peaks and troughs and makes little sense to my simple brain.

Personally I'd like to adjust MAF and injector scalings to get values in the fuel map that reflect approximately to wideband O2 readings (I used to do this even when ditching the MAF sensor and using my MAF simulator box and with larger capacity engines, different heads/cams, much larger injectors). Then I would think of a 3x3 fuel table with smooth transitions in between:
RPM vac atmo boost
1000 14.7 14.7 14.7
4000 14.7 14 11.5
7000 12.5 12 11.5

Also on the ignition tables, why does it not change for load? That has to be suboptimal to my mind because you don't need the same timing at 140 and 260% load? If it doesn't det at 260% then you are surely too retarded at 140%?

No disrespect intended, but am I missing some key point here?
This is what happens when injector voltage latency and scaling is skipped over by the tuner or they just don't know how to correctly program it.

It is good for the community that nothing can slide by the consumer any longer with this new tool. Its no longer a mystery as to what was changed in your ECU and if the tuner knew what they were doing or not when programming your "baby's" engine computer.

Personally I am not a big fan of the locked ignition timing throughout the load range either jcsbanks. The ignition timing is not "locked" like that from the factory.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed. I love being able to change things myself... and now that I have all the proper logging equipment I'm really excited.

I thought there was a reason behind how it was tuned but i'm starting to become unsure of that now :|

Not sure if I listed but I am running 780cc injectors.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justchil
Agreed. I love being able to change things myself... and now that I have all the proper logging equipment I'm really excited.

I thought there was a reason behind how it was tuned but i'm starting to become unsure of that now :|

Not sure if I listed but I am running 780cc injectors.
Saw that.

Check your injector scaling and injector voltage latency figures and let us know what they say.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Saw that.

Check your injector scaling and injector voltage latency figures and let us know what they say.
Thats why i asked, there is no reason he should have to be in the 13.X range to be 11.0 actual.

that leads me to believe that the tuner just leaned it out to compensate.

my maps read 9.8 at 260 and 7500 rpm and is at 11.5 actual this is with 1000cc injectors scaled to 890ccs

the value inputed is just a numerical value. i've been on the dyno for about 12 hours teying to figure out a conversion and there isn't one even on stock cars.

a value of 11.5 is acually closer to 12.3 stock injectors with a walbrow 255
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Saw that.

I can understand the need for an adjustment in injector scaling...

But what would the voltage latency figures have to do with this....unless of course his injectors are pulling so much voltage that it would need a compensation for that. If that was the case I think you have a mechanical issue and not a tuning issue.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I know the scaling is identical to stock... I didnt compare the latency but here is both:

Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

The faster you spin the motor the alternator is going to produce more more current, it should be used because of the increased draw from the fuel pump, coils, and injectors but residual voltage can cause them to spike.

Ultimatly the injectors are tested at 3bar fuel pressure and 12 volts anything higher will cause them to "flow more"
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
I know the scaling is identical to stock... I didnt compare the latency but here is both:

thats why your in the 13.x afr valut to be at 11.0

set the scaling to 720 and lower your values by a minimum of 3 full points. go do a run log it and post it, keep an eye on your wideband if you get anyhigher than 11.5 stop and add .2 more fuel and try again.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Dieman
I can understand the need for an adjustment in injector scaling...

But what would the voltage latency figures have to do with this....unless of course his injectors are pulling so much voltage that it would need a compensation for that. If that was the case I think you have a mechanical issue and not a tuning issue.
Laymens terms, injector deadtime should be modified also depending on size.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I'll give that a try. Unfortunately I left my laptops at home today so I'll have to give this a shot here in about 2 hours.

So your saying lower my fuel map TOTALLY by 3 points correct?

I really appreciate the help guys! If you're ever in WV (doubtful) I'll buy you a beer or three.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

CHECK YOUR PM'S, THE ONLY THING KEEPING YOU FROM BLOWING YOUR MOTOR IS YOUR 11.0 AFR.

Yes the Caps are necissary.

You should be in the 9.7-10.0 in the midrange and 10.5 to11.1 from 7000 rpm on.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

You mean my AFR's or the map itself? I'm assuming this would be AFTER I change the injector scaling. I'm understanding most of what you say.. just trying to figure out how I can start the ball rolling on getting things fixed up

1 more hour of work and I can start on this
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

the af values on the map not on actual.

Yes this is after the scaling