Notices
ECU Flash

Starting to tune.. logs and such inside

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roger that.

Just to verify.. my timing should be fairly safe to leave alone for now right?

Can't wait to get home and start on this. I have my ecuflash cable in the car but I don't have my serial adapter for the zt2. I could monitor the LCD but it's hard to keep an eye on and drive the car.

Edit: I guess I could start working on the map and post it up... gimme a few mins
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Fuel map lowered .3 as suggested... Still trying to figure out how I change the injector scaling to 720.

Look about right?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

my friends tune with 20g, 680cc injectors, 264 cams, fmic with piping, buschur intake, 255lph

http://www.mecah.com/curt.bmp
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justchil
Fuel map lowered .3 as suggested... Still trying to figure out how I change the injector scaling to 720.

Look about right?
He meant -3.0 not -0.3 I believe. Maybe he should clarify.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

What is his injector scaling set to tho? I can't seem to change mine for some odd reason.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Oh crap duh nevermind lol

So his is setup similar to mine... no change on the scaling.. hmmm
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I couldn't bear to try to modify a map like this, I'd have to chuck it in the bin!

I'd start with a standard factory map and get the idle and cruise areas on minimal fuel trim adjustments by adjusting the injector scaling. I'd do this with a wideband, knock monitoring and with boost controllers set to give just actuator pressure. I wouldn't even think about boosting it until I'd got all this right.

Then I would move on to map a low boost setting - initially with safe ignition timing I'd get the AFRs correct then sort the timing, but I wouldn't bother too much about it as with sensible induction you should have sensible timing.

Then I would increase the boost to my final level again with safe timing and again get the AFR correct. 11-11.5:1 on full boost on pump fuel should be safe at all RPMs. Then I'd sort the timing.

I'd develop the map as I went along so every direction was silky smooth in terms of progression.

Then I'd go batter hell out of the car on a hot day to make sure it was safe before considering the map finished, or I'd detune it to be sure.

Just my 2p.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Personally, I couldn't bear to try to modify a map like this, I'd have to chuck it in the bin!

I'd start with a standard factory map and get the idle and cruise areas on minimal fuel trim adjustments by adjusting the injector scaling. I'd do this with a wideband, knock monitoring and with boost controllers set to give just actuator pressure. I wouldn't even think about boosting it until I'd got all this right.

Then I would move on to map a low boost setting - initially with safe ignition timing I'd get the AFRs correct then sort the timing, but I wouldn't bother too much about it as with sensible induction you should have sensible timing.

Then I would increase the boost to my final level again with safe timing and again get the AFR correct. 11-11.5:1 on full boost on pump fuel should be safe at all RPMs. Then I'd sort the timing.

I'd develop the map as I went along so every direction was silky smooth in terms of progression.

Then I'd go batter hell out of the car on a hot day to make sure it was safe before considering the map finished, or I'd detune it to be sure.

Just my 2p.
Totally agree. Was going to say that. You should not deviate from the factory 14.7's under vacuum IMO.

This is a real hackjob IMO.

Honestly your best bet is to start over using proper injector scaling and start rich and backout your fuel as you tune.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I'm starting to think the same thing. It would be a better learning experience. I could always use this map as sort of a "guide" if I needed help. I've got all weekend to work on this so I may go that route.

Again.. I can't change the scaling for some reason or another. Edit -> Set Data does nothing.. I also tried to paste 720 with no luck. I must be doing something wrong here
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justchil
I'm starting to think the same thing. It would be a better learning experience. I could always use this map as sort of a "guide" if I needed help. I've got all weekend to work on this so I may go that route.

Again.. I can't change the scaling for some reason or another. Edit -> Set Data does nothing.. I also tried to paste 720 with no luck. I must be doing something wrong here
Highlight the box and hit "shift +" until you scale it up to where you need it.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I freaking knew that... Thanks tho! It's always the little things haha
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Lower it 3.0 not .3, this map is honestly really bad, i'm surprised you never blew the motor.

Had you of gotten a bad tank of gas i'm certain it would have grenaded.

i just modded your map on my computer and it worked fine.

i like doing the set value with the "=" key. much easier since the "-" and "+" function sometimes go up by .2 or 2
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I did it using -.. I'll redo it when I get home with the set value.

Here is the basic idea tho:

I'm still thinking that starting with a stock 03 map might be the best route for me to go

Granted I will keep everything on the rich side until my knock stuff comes in... as of right now I have no way of logging knock other than monitoring the voltage on the ecu.

Last edited by justchil; Jun 23, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I'm heading home now.. Big thanks to everyone will all the help/suggestions. Keep them coming if you have time.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly contact teh tuner and ask him for a new map, if the one he gives you is as big a pile as this is then chuck it and start over with a stock map.

I just hate for you to have wated your $

I know it;s not your fault but that map looks horrible. i'll edit it a bit and post it for you.