Notices
ECU Flash

Common "Tuner" Tweaks: Intake, Fuel Pump etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Common "Tuner" Tweaks: Intake, Fuel Pump etc.

So from my short time looking at "tuner" maps and what not I have not seen glaring areas where an intake, or fuel pump is being "tuned".

Can anyone shed some light on this!

Are people just making small adjustments in the high load areas of the fuel map. I have seen NO MAF scaling, smoothing, or adjustment of fuel (in low load areas).
Old Jul 2, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fuel pump will run rich (I am assuming you mean a 255) especially at WOT. Therefore the fuel maps will have to be adjusted accordingly (higher number).
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

What about tuning with a intake???
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

bumpity
Old Jul 5, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Generally speaking an aftermarket intake will require a custom tune. Most base maps are setup for the stock air intake, although there are some base maps that are adjusted for a vendor's specific setup.

l8r)
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freddiet
What about tuning with a intake???
I've seen over a dozen different maps from various tuners and not one of them had special 'tuning' for an intake, at least from what I could tell by looking at the MAF scale & smoothing tables.

The only parimeters modified were the normal timing & fuel tables.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Does the 255 pump not overrun the FPR at idle/low loads like it did on the DSM's?

Girlie
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Girlie
Does the 255 pump not overrun the FPR at idle/low loads like it did on the DSM's?

Girlie
No the ecu will adjust for it with closed loop control

A 255 will mostly fatten up things after 6,000 rpms on full boost
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I've seen over a dozen different maps from various tuners and not one of them had special 'tuning' for an intake, at least from what I could tell by looking at the MAF scale & smoothing tables.

The only parimeters modified were the normal timing & fuel tables.
That has also generally been my experience..

Aftermarket intakes can be tuned for in the fuel and timing maps, generally they result in a lower MAF reading which puts them in a lower load column at low RPMs, of course those cells are leaner and have slightly more aggressive timing so the car feels a little stronger, while at high RPM, they read more or less stock..

The problem is you can tune it this way, but many of those intakes also have anomolous traits which cause the signal to sometimes be a bit unpredictable depending on the load, therefore it makes it harder to tune. This is where the calibration/smoothing tables come into play, yet I have never seen anyone alter these settings.. In the tuners defense, they seem to be fairly new finds in the ECU. Then there are just poorly designed intakes that are nearly impossible to tune (K&N's original Typhoon design is a good example of that) because its readings at different load levels are pretty unpredictable..

Generally you have to add about 5% fuel from 2000-4500rpm, if you can determine the path it takes through those cells, you can tune specifically for them, but remember to also do the cells adjacent to them also.. since it can jump into those too..
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Girlie

Girlie
Al beat me to answering this one, he's correct the slightly higher fuel pressure does cause the car to run richer overall, but with closed loop fuel control at part throttle the ECU will adjust its trims for it..
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
No the ecu will adjust for it with closed loop control

A 255 will mostly fatten up things after 6,000 rpms on full boost

I think the answer that Girlie was looking for is yes. But, not outside of the adjustment of the LTFT.

In my opinion, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't tune it back to an idle LTFT of 0%. You should always give the ECU maximum adjustments capabilities in both directions, to allow for future adjustments due to changing conditions, etc.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jul 6, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

OK, thanks for the answers. I just remember having to adjust the lower rpms back some to get the fuel trims closer to 0 on my DSM. Of course this was with a Supra pump too, so a little bigger than the 255.

Thanks again.

Girlie
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

thank you all for the replies. I just can't believe that I have engine management. Now all i have to do is buy a wideband. Its just hard to fit that into a budget when I was in the military I would have never had a problem. Now that I am a civilian it seems damn near impossible. I wonder if I could get a loan to just get a wideband lol. I was also wondering if you could rent one from autozone or something i know that they rent out parts but i seriously doubt that they would have a wideband. I guess that I will have to wait until someone on the board wants to get rid of one, and just get a deal on it. Hopefully i will have the cash then but more than likely I won't lol.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freddiet
thank you all for the replies. I just can't believe that I have engine management. Now all i have to do is buy a wideband. Its just hard to fit that into a budget when I was in the military I would have never had a problem. Now that I am a civilian it seems damn near impossible. I wonder if I could get a loan to just get a wideband lol. I was also wondering if you could rent one from autozone or something i know that they rent out parts but i seriously doubt that they would have a wideband. I guess that I will have to wait until someone on the board wants to get rid of one, and just get a deal on it. Hopefully i will have the cash then but more than likely I won't lol.
Check this out: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=26
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
does evoscan v0.8 work with the zeitronix, if so how do i connect them?

Quick Reply: Common "Tuner" Tweaks: Intake, Fuel Pump etc.