Notices
ECU Flash

Post your evoscan logs

Old Jul 4, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post your evoscan logs

I'd like to get a look at some of your logs.

I'm seeing a little bit of knock basically across the board, and I'm wondering if it's because of my wastegate dump (it's absurdly loud)

I've made some pretty signifigant changes to my fuel maps and a little bit to my timing maps, and the knock has decreased (AFRs were really fat....)

after going VERY conservative and making it worse, I've come to the conclusion that I need more boost and less fuel.

So far just taking some fuel out and raising the boost has granted me less knock, but there is still some there....

anyway here is my latest log, I always log in 3rd gear btw.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
try3 data.zip (6.4 KB, 71 views)
Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have an open dump tube, and it runs parallel to your turbo outlet like mine does, they can rattle together and transmit vibration to the engine.. See if you can adjust it slightly so you have a bit of space between it or put that adhesive heat shielding between them and see if that helps..

If you don't have an open dump, well then, forget what I said because I"m a moron.. LOL
Old Jul 4, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
I'd like to get a look at some of your logs.

I'm seeing a little bit of knock basically across the board, and I'm wondering if it's because of my wastegate dump (it's absurdly loud)

I've made some pretty signifigant changes to my fuel maps and a little bit to my timing maps, and the knock has decreased (AFRs were really fat....)

after going VERY conservative and making it worse, I've come to the conclusion that I need more boost and less fuel.

So far just taking some fuel out and raising the boost has granted me less knock, but there is still some there....

anyway here is my latest log, I always log in 3rd gear btw.
from the log you posted it looks like your pulling timing from 4500-6000, I would try dropping it down a touch and see what happens. On my car 4500 RPM is the most knock prone area, meaning that it likes the least amount of timing and the most fuel. I'm guessing because its around where peak TQ occurs so the cylinder pressure is highest.

It interesting to see other peoples logs. You engine can take way more timing in the mid range then mine can, are you running alky?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

If you have a sub in the car, could that make the knock??? Just wondering cause if so I will not have stereo on???
Old Jul 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by freddiet
If you have a sub in the car, could that make the knock??? Just wondering cause if so I will not have stereo on???
Nah, if you were to pick up knock, it would have to match a particular frequency and intensity not ignored through the knock filters.. Plus the noise wouldn't be transferred through the chassis like that, it would have to be something directly attached to the engine to transfer noise.. (Think P0300 issue from the guys with aftermarket clutches)

I actually don't think thats his issue after looking at the logs though..
Old Jul 4, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

I thought the timing curve looked pretty normal honestly.

Malibu Jack, you think this is real knock? My dump tube isn't THAT close to anything.....

I just don't think it's real knock, the car doesn't seem to be pulling timing to me, that's how much timing I have in my timing map at those load points.

I've also noticed that the car doesn't appear to be getting into the 260% load map at all, the highest it seems to go is 240, so maybe I need to increase boost?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

heres a log from my car doing a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls at part throttle and WOT

http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=5459357
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

I can't open the file, says its corrupt.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
heres a log from my car doing a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls at part throttle and WOT

http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=5459357
You have a some knock thru out the rpm ranges.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

yah im not sure why my timing isnt that crazy and my a/f is rich- i wonder if some knock is from the twin plate clutch and all upgraded motor mounts shacking around
Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
yah im not sure why my timing isnt that crazy and my a/f is rich- i wonder if some knock is from the twin plate clutch and all upgraded motor mounts shacking around
The more noise you generate in the drivetrain the more likely it'll transfer to the knock sensor, same with firm/solid motor mounts.. So its possible, but those noises occur in a specific frequency range..

The right way to determine it is to listen to the engine when you get the knock, or use an oscilliscope capable of logging a frequency spectrum so you can visually see what range they occur at.. If its constant noise at a particular frequency then its likely being transferred from the clutch..

Its not always possible to eliminate all those knock events, there are some documented issues with aftermarket pulleys creating resonant noise in a specific frequency range at a specific RPM that is particularly sensitive in the ECU..
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well the way I was going to go about testing it was to put some race gas and see if I'm still seeing knock

My afrs are dead on and my timing looks good......my boost is conservative at 21-22psi.....
Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

My latest log. Added some timing to the non boost portion since I know it is kinda conservative from factory and we have a very forgiving compression and since I am familiar with the timing hondas run. Low octane is also set lower than high octane. Did not encounter any knock at all. Wideband showed 10.8 - 10.9, but my o2 voltage only showed .89 v Was only able to make it to 6500 dam traffic in houston. 94 degrees outside and very humid with all rain here lately. Need to adjust the throttle cable because my TPS is not reading 100% but accel enrich was 100 which only happens when I floor it. Timing seems to be holding pretty good though, boost guage showing 20psi
Attached Files
File Type: zip
EvoScanDataLog_traffic.zip (9.9 KB, 26 views)
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got a good log, and even shifted from 3rd to 4th. I was not getting 100% throttle on last log even though it said it when I tested it on the logger with car off, so I adjusted my throttle cable before this log and took the slack out of it, and wow it feels better, and it is not just in my head lol. May add a lil timing see if any knock shows up.
Attached Files