Notices
ECU Flash

Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lots of questions

I have a stock Evo IX and I would like to give EcuFlash a shot. It looks like the latest version 1.28 supports the Evo IX. I mainly would like to reduce or eliminate the boost taper. I don't have the tactrix cable yet, but I've downloaded the software and looked at a stock IX hex file just to see what can be adjusted. So here are my questions:

Would I get much benefit from just changing the desired boost settings. The stock IX file shows desired boost at low RPM to be 159.4, then it tapers down to 116.9 at 7000 RPM. What would happen if I made all values to be 159.4? There's also an adjustment for boost limit that also tapers from the factory. If I eliminate the boost taper, would I also need to adjust the fuel/timing maps to compensate for the increased boost?

If properly tuned, can the stock system hold full boost (19 to 20 PSI) all the way to redline? I understand that Works offers tune with new boost lines that has different "pills" that they claim allows them the use the factory boost control to eliminate the taper. If anyone could shed some light on what the pills are why they affect how well the system holds boost, I would greatly appreciate it. I wish there was a cheaper way to accomplish proper boost control without paying $600 for a Works tune and boost lines.

Are there any free Evo IX fuel/timing maps available to download or just look at. Without a wideband, and data logging software, I wouldn't feel comfortable blindly making adjustments to the stock maps.

Is there any place to find detailed explanations of all the parameters? I have a decent understanding of what fuel/timing maps do, but the vvt map and some other parameters are a bit confusing. For example, what's "IC Relay Timer Air Temp?"

Thanks in advance for anyone that can answer some of my questions.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you hit 20psi at 3500 rpm and it states 159.4 then that means 20psi = 159.4 so you change all the other numbers to 159.4 throughout the rpm range. Normally more boost means more fuel, so you will have to get a wideband and tune the fuel and also timing. You can use a logger like evoscan to log the timing and monitor the o2 voltage until you get a wideband also. Not sure if it is the same on the EVO 9, but it is on the 8. Or you can just buy a cheap boost controller and "set it and forget it". That is what most people do and then tune your timing and fuel map.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

To boost significantly more than stock, especially at the higher RPM will require a restrictor pill. The stock setup will only go so far. If you use the ECU to control boost, then your boost will probably still taper a little bit, meaning that you'll end up with something like 21 psi tapering to 19 psi by redline. That isn't really that bad, since the stock cams aren't that great in the upper RPM range to begin with. Kind of pointless to overspin your turbo to make up for weak cams, IMO.

l8r)
Old Jul 4, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have changed the "boost limit" to 255 in all but the last two boxes and the "boost desired engine load # 1, 2 & 3 to all 159.4.

This has eliminted the taper somewhat.

I will be trying to do some test next week without the pill near the silnoid and changing that pill to different size pills.

When I had my Xede in my VIII, with the pill removed I could set the boost to 23psi with basiclly no taper on the stock siloniod
Old Jul 4, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. It sounds like a little taper is acceptable with the stock boost lines, but if I did want to alter the restrictor pill size, how would I find such a thing? Is there a place to order them with various sizes?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how do you look at files without having the cable? please enlighten. whenever i click on open rom, i look in the rommettadata, mitsubishi, evo, open and nothing happens.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
Thanks guys. It sounds like a little taper is acceptable with the stock boost lines, but if I did want to alter the restrictor pill size, how would I find such a thing? Is there a place to order them with various sizes?
At my local Pepboys, they had different size pills with different size hole.

Hopefully, next week I gonna go buy a couple different pills and put in some race gas (for safety, incase of boost spikes) and see if I can find a good way to control the boost with the stock boost silonid & ECUFlash.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
how do you look at files without having the cable? please enlighten. whenever i click on open rom, i look in the rommettadata, mitsubishi, evo, open and nothing happens.
you need to download rom images from the forums at either www.openecu.org or www.osecuroms.org/, you will need to register to see any downloads
Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
You need to download a rom file, be it from your ecu or one online. Openecu.org has alot of stock maps to download and view.

Girlie
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh, OK. thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

you will also need to change the boost error correction values to 0 for all dynamic boost values.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Once I have some time, I'm going to swap in the GM solenoid and resistor again and spend some more time figuring out the boost control maps.. I finally set up my car where swapping the connections from my Apexi AVC-R to the stock one (or GM one) is a nice easy job..
Old Jul 7, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
you will also need to change the boost error correction values to 0 for all dynamic boost values.
Can you explain what the boost error correction does? What do you mean by dynamic boost values? I see two columns and have no idea what they mean. Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:48 PM

On my stock IX with the pill removed I get about 21-22psi and it tapers down to ~17 @7k. I believe the biggest restriction right now is the exhaust and I should be able to hold alot more boost. I'll find out in the next week.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
Can you explain what the boost error correction does? What do you mean by dynamic boost values? I see two columns and have no idea what they mean. Thanks.
Yes can someone please explain that.

Also.

Removing the pill near the BCS will let the boost go higher.
So what about doing that and then lowering boost values in EcuFlash ?