Notices
ECU Flash

Crazy ignition timing - Evo VIII vs IX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When my car was tuned it turned out my car had more consistant power by keeping it very rich with heavy timing. All cars are different with this respect, according to the tuner - some like it leaner fuel with less timing, or more fuel and timing.

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
BTW, has anyone noticed that JM9693 (Evo VIII) runs 2-4 (2 mid, 4 at high RPM) degrees more timing in a lot of the 200%+ load zones at the same RPM as JM8859 (Evo XI)?
Probably due to the MIVEC system

This car is certainly not off the pace with this tuning. I compared it to an Evo VIII with 10.5T ball bearing, induction, exhaust, intercooler pipes, walbro, boost controller mapped by a renowned pro-tuner.
A IX FQ like yours, Id say would be equivalent to an VIII, camed and on alc injection - like mine

Have you ever taken it to the dragstrip?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not taken it to the strip, only had it two or three months and it feels in too good condition to abuse. My last trip to the strip in my Subaru yielded 11s in the 120s but a $2000 gearbox repair bill.

The VIII was on stock cams. I think he'll be hitting the credit card now
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course you will have more tq with more boost. I would not however run 26psi spikes on a 93 equivalent fuel and expect not to have some knock.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the Knocklink is oversensitive and will indicate noise (even under the red KNOCK catagory) when in fact OBDII datalogging shows no timing hold or retard. Think of it as an advanced pre-warning, not an indicator of actual knock events.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

It does run 26 PSI spikes without det though. I have spiked it to 30 PSI whilst setting up boost control and it hasn't detted which is nice to know, although that was not deliberate. People in the UK routinely run this sort of boost (26 PSI) on 98 RON and have been since the Evo V/VI (usually with ball bearing TD05 conversions) and the engines seem to hold together and make the torque. Even Mistubishi UK do on the FQ400 with a three year warranty, although they've used forged internals and a Garrett turbo. Even 2.0 cast piston WRX engines seem to take 25 PSI for a decent time if you don't let them det.

The cylinder pressure profile from running extra boost with sensible timing should be kinder to the engine than from running excessive timing - less peak but high BMEP.

The knocklink is on 50% sensitivity after setting it using det cans. It usually starts to flicker the first green at 5000-5500, and then gently climb the tree to the second green full on at 7000 RPM. I can see small spikes above the baseline noise across the rev range when it has mild det through the det cans. Severe det hits the red and it can be heard in the cabin without det cans. It is just right for when I don't have the laptop plugged in or the det cans on.

Last edited by jcsbanks; Jul 14, 2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

I tried a TurboXS knocklite but didn't get on with it. The calibration at RPM zones was a nice idea, but a knocklink in my line of site (just near the A-pillar) is far more useful to me. It is quite sensitive and specific if you see spike activity rather than just reading a level.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

People in the UK routinely run this sort of boost (26 PSI) on 98 RON and have been since the Evo V/VI (usually with ball bearing TD05 conversions) and the engines seem to hold together and make the torque. Even Mistubishi UK do on the FQ400 with a three year warranty, although they've used forged internals and a Garrett turbo. Even 2.0 cast piston WRX engines seem to take 25 PSI for a decent time if you don't let them det.
This is how we do it stateside on the stock turbo.

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Nice I would love to run 32.6 PSI and keep the EGT below 900C. Can you continue to beat on the car on that fuel for longer than a quarter and keep it in check?

You can buy crazy fuel easily and cheaply or are you just splashing in a load of meth?

Our best pump is 98 RON, and it costs over $7 per US gallon.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I like how you photoshopped out the AFR.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

You can probably purchace a 55 gallon drum of anhydrous methyl alcohol for like $150
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

Nice I would love to run 32.6 PSI and keep the EGT below 900C. Can you continue to beat on the car on that fuel for longer than a quarter and keep it in check?

You can buy crazy fuel easily and cheaply or are you just splashing in a load of meth?

Yup, in fact while tuning and testing a safeguard I encountered a twin turbo V6 350Z. Dueled it out to about 155mph with the Evo as the victor.

93+ a one gal stock washer fluid reservoir full of 100% meth.

The 1/4mi is just one of the nice features of the tune. I use the same tune on the street.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I got 10 x 25 litre containers of the stuff at a friend's farm, but pricier than you quote again rip off Britain. I used to fling 10% in the fuel tank and it added about 10% power on Impreza - with tuning for it. I think I'd run out of injector duty doing that on the Evo unless I turn the fuel pressure up. I did wonder about getting another Aquamist setup and using a flow sensor setup with a MAF signal modifier to catch a failure.

Damn you guys, I wasn't going to get silly with this car, now I am going to bed and will be dreaming of 32 PSI

Last edited by jcsbanks; Jul 14, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

I did wonder about getting another Aquamist setup and using a flow sensor setup with a MAF signal modifier to catch a failure.

Damn you guys, I wasn't going to get silly with this car, now I am going to bed and will be dreaming of 32 PSI
Check out this post. There are better options than a flow sensor available for methonal safeguards:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=26
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

My worry with this setup is that you have to wait to 900C EGT during which time you might get bad knock, although with a knocklink and knock control we can hope, but the ECU's base map might not tolerate a failure since the boost level would be high, the AFR lean and the timing advanced to suit the methanol. Does it react quickly enough in these circumstances? Would a flow sensor and EGT be better? My previous safeguard for methanol was simply to put it in the fuel tank with the normal fuel and have a knocklink and WBO2 on display with EGT monitoring during setup. But it was a pain to mix it at every fill up and as I say I'll run out of injector.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 05:25 AM
Account Disabled

My worry with this setup is that you have to wait to 900C EGT during which time you might get bad knock, although with a knocklink and knock control we can hope, but the ECU's base map might not tolerate a failure since the boost level would be high, the AFR lean and the timing advanced to suit the methanol. Does it react quickly enough in these circumstances? Would a flow sensor and EGT be better? My previous safeguard for methanol was simply to put it in the fuel tank with the normal fuel and have a knocklink and WBO2 on display with EGT monitoring during setup. But it was a pain to mix it at every fill up and as I say I'll run out of injector.
The system immediately switches FUEL, TIMING, BOOST instantly. The EGT threshold is programmable in C or F from 400*-1250*c. That is only one of the triggers. AFR, Boost, TPS, RPM and EGT are all of the programmed parameters that can be set to trigger the safeguard by either 1-5 (all) of them.

Since a knock condition is enticed by high egt's, the EGT threshold in my opinion is the most bulletproof.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of timing did this run on?
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

Quick Reply: Crazy ignition timing - Evo VIII vs IX