Notices
ECU Flash

Windows XP works fine Windows 2000 i got problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it works fine that way. Im able to view the example file without a problem. i just wont read or connect to the stock ROM from the ECU.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Does the USB port work normally for other devices ?

Camcorders, Digital Camera, Digital Docking Stations, Scanner, etc ?

I know these are basic questions, just trying process of elimination.

Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:55 PM

if i plugged in any other device like a digicam than it would work like a charm. Is there a specific order to open the program like open the software than connect to the car or vice versa.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm thinking the current draw of the cable may be too high for that particular laptop, that it doesn't consistently initialize the cable... What kind of laptop is it exactly? I have this EXACT problem with stuff not working consistently with USB on an IBM 240x laptop, sometimes if I plug somthing in which draws too much power, it spontaneously reboots.. You could try plugging it into a powered USB hub and see if that helps., If it recognized it once, then subsequently doesnt, it could be a few things, but this is what I had seen before.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

spoolinspyder I don't think you're doing wrong in
terms of the order of operation.

Here's the Openecu forums.
http://forums.openecu.org/index.php

Let us know if you have anymore feedback or ideas.

Old Jul 16, 2006, 02:30 PM

damn ..... I went to fontana this past weekend and everything seemed to be working fine after re-installing the software into the driver location, but guess when its starts to screw up > > > the staging lanes. I had an OK map in but the cable didn't allow me to log my runs. It was a pathetic hot day for myself running 14's with 272's unlike my previous stock runs with an AFC @ 13.1 at 108. I didn't even break into the 100mph zone with my tune. I gave up that day after being unable to view the engine vitals considering it was soooo hot and i needed to know if i needed to pull timing or increase fuel. Its frustrating that the cable operation is sooo unpredictable.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Those are crazy problems and symptoms you are having with that laptop.

Is it possible that MalibuJack is on to something with current draw or too
much load on the laptop?

And yes it's been triple digit heat in various parts of southern california.
Especially inland and also the Foothills where I live.

Allthough it must be very frustrating, it was wise to call it a day in that heat.

Old Jul 16, 2006, 04:02 PM

Malibu Jack, i got a Dell Latitude C400 with an intel pentium 3 processor. I know its old but the computer doesn't shut off or reboot after plugging it in. The night before the cable was repetitive and doing well and i was able to log runs and make a few adjustments without it screwing up. The first time it got screwy at the track, i figured it try the new cable that Colby sent me as a replacement and it worked the first try. I thought my cable issue was solved and BAMMM! unable to connect right in the staging lanes = no logs of the engine vitals.... Is there an external unit i could use to help diagnose the problem ex: card reader of some sort or USB serial Adapters?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

I was able to successfully connect, edit, save and upload with EcuFlash. ( yay )

Old Slow Fujitsu Lifebook with a Pentium 133 and Windoze 2000.

Have to wonder if your Dell Laptop uses a normal Windows 2000 installation
disc or a proprietory Dell/Windows combo type install disc.

Last edited by Spec'd; Jul 18, 2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolinspyder
Malibu Jack, i got a Dell Latitude C400 with an intel pentium 3 processor. I know its old but the computer doesn't shut off or reboot after plugging it in. The night before the cable was repetitive and doing well and i was able to log runs and make a few adjustments without it screwing up. The first time it got screwy at the track, i figured it try the new cable that Colby sent me as a replacement and it worked the first try. I thought my cable issue was solved and BAMMM! unable to connect right in the staging lanes = no logs of the engine vitals.... Is there an external unit i could use to help diagnose the problem ex: card reader of some sort or USB serial Adapters?
I hate to say this, but it sounds like its specifically your windows installation, you said you tried this same cable on other machines and it worked fine..

Windows 2000 on machines with USB 1.1 can be quirky.. Sometimes USB1.1 doesn't provide adequate voltage to initialize the device, and therefore Win2k doesnt detect it.. Other times win2k is slow or never does get the plug and play initialization signal for hardware change.

What I have noticed on several notebook.. Understand I'm comparing apples to apples because I have 4 different IBM 240x laptops, they are a bit older than the Dell.. They have 1 USB port and 1 PC Card slot.. I can run almost all low draw devices on these laptops, I get more frequent and faster initialization on the ones running Windows XP Professional than Windows 2000, Depending on the current draw of the device I plug in on any of these machines, I get varying responses..

1) Sometimes the device initializes and works fine.. a CF Card reader with a 512k card..

2) Sometimes it initializes the device, and I can't use it because it won't work right even though I can see it.. The same CF Card reader with a IBM Microdrive installed

3) Sometimes it won't initialize at all, a USB powered mini hard disk..

All three of these conditions work fine on a newer laptop with USB-2 and higher available bus power.. But on these older IBM's, the USB Bus cannot supply enough current to power the device, so at best it worked inconsistently (as you describe) at worst it doesnt work at all and makes it seem like the cable is bad.

I have NOT tried the Tactrix cable on those laptops since I now have a dedicated laptop for doing tuning and not switching between different ones any longer.

Now to my point.. If you buy a USB Hub that has a power supply to power the USB hub and accessories, If it works right, then you definitely have a power issue, if it doesn't initialize, then you can look closer at the machine itself.. But short of rebuilding your laptop, I don't know what alternatives you'll have.