ECU Flash

Last chance to get EvoScan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I think they deserve way more than $35

I dont care about open source / closed source to me its like buying a screw driver or wrench - just another tool

It works good and is helpful so the creator should get paid - just my opinion

It was a great value at $15 and its still a great value at $35

and if anyone would disagree with opensource it would be you......I wont argue at the value because it truly is. But the opportunity to have some other programmers try stuff and see what things they could implement and ideas put into place is gone. Im disapointed in that, not the program.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I got the sense that Evo4Mad was pretty put off by the agressive and inconsiderate nature of some of the people on Evom and openecu.

If you combine that with the pride that one has in their own work and the fact that different people wanted to take the program in different directions it makes sense to not want to take it open source.

Personally I think in the end the program and it's offspring would do quite well over time if it was open source--oh well.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Can someone explain what the difference is between Evoscan and PCMSCAN (http://www.palmerperformance.com/) ?

Does the Evoscan have additional features specific to the Evo, or perhaps does it scan quicker or something?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
I also thought that this would and should be open source - just like everything else on openecu.org, hence the name openecu. However, Evo4Mad has put a lot of time and effort into it, which is why it should be by donation only. That way, those who feel he should be paid can pay (or donate) and those who feel it should be open and free can get it free. Just my $.02. Above all though, it really is a great tool.
i still wouldnt mind giving him $35 if it was open source. If i knew it was going to be closed source, i would have started writing my own datalogger months ago. I should just write one on principle alone.

Originally Posted by nvr2fast
Can someone explain what the difference is between Evoscan and PCMSCAN (http://www.palmerperformance.com/) ?

Does the Evoscan have additional features specific to the Evo, or perhaps does it scan quicker or something?
yes it has a much faster datalogging rate.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I think they deserve way more than $35

I dont care about open source / closed source to me its like buying a screw driver or wrench - just another tool

It works good and is helpful so the creator should get paid - just my opinion

It was a great value at $15 and its still a great value at $35

i'm not arguing the price. at face value - yes its easily worth more than $35.

by making it closed source, youre taking away my option of taking that screw driver and adding power to it. Maybe your happy with an old fashion screwdriver, some people however like power tools, and like fixing and improving their own tools. I guess i can't expect everyone to comprehend the point of OSS.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The software itself is definitely worth the money.. I don't have a problem with it going closed source, only I did pay with the expectation that I'd have access to source code. Its no biggie though, like I said, even at $35 its worthwhile..
Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The software itself is definitely worth the money.. I don't have a problem with it going closed source, only I did pay with the expectation that I'd have access to source code. Its no biggie though, like I said, even at $35 its worthwhile..
Heck yea! even if you paid 90 for the cable and 35 bucks for the software Your average Datalogger cost about that but I bet you cant raise your timing with it
$115 to fully tune your car, thats the best deal ive seen!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

IMO the value of the pricepoint will be directly related to how well the program runs. At the moment we're still in the beta stage and $35 for a beta product is pushing the limits of acceptability. A (mostly) bug-free full release, on the other hand is certainly worth $35.

l8r)
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:24 PM

I paid for but was unable to download evoscan during the payment process.

So now I'm our $15 but don't have the program? What the heck do I do? I assume I only paid for the serial number, which I wrote down....how come there isn't an unprotected link to the executable?

Grrrr....impatient for my evoscan here.

Need the vendor to contact me please.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bhcevo
I paid for but was unable to download evoscan during the payment process.

So now I'm our $15 but don't have the program? What the heck do I do? I assume I only paid for the serial number, which I wrote down....how come there isn't an unprotected link to the executable?

Grrrr....impatient for my evoscan here.

Need the vendor to contact me please.
here is a link to Evo4mad

contact him there because he does not come on evom
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I just want to give you guys a heads up that this is your last chance to get EvoScan for $15. On Friday the 14th, Evo4Mad will be raising the price to $35. So get it now while you still can for $15.
Actually I just got it 10 minutes ago and its still $15 so its not too late yet.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

+1
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Honestly though, the guy deserves to get paid for his efforts, alot of work went into this program.. Not to mention he did lay out money for some fairly expensive GUI components to make this look good for everyone.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that his efforts are definately worth it. And judging by how many people have gotten the software, he's making good money. The funny thing is though, he never intended to make a datalogger for the EVO community. I believe he started this project a couple years ago to be able to log his own EVO 4. It wasn't until he mentioned that he was working on a logger for himself that others expressed interest in it. I just find it somewhat humorous that his personal project, for his own car is now making him $15 a pop, soon to be $35. That's good entrepenuership.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly though, the guy deserves to get paid for his efforts, alot of work went into this program.. Not to mention he did lay out money for some fairly expensive GUI components to make this look good for everyone.
That you cant use

I would really like to see this stay open source, as was originally announced. If it went open source we would see a constant update stream, and you would get the entire ECU mapped out in only a few months. With just one person working on it we will be lucky to have anything done for years.

If the registration is there only to cover an expensive gauge set, that isnt even working, I would have liked the option to skip that component. Its absolutely useless anyway.

Last edited by PDXEvo; Jul 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Last chance to get EvoScan