ECU Flash

Safer tune produces more power.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dohcvtec
Thanks again Bryan, car feels great!
How many miles did you have on your mail in flash before this retune and how many road racing events have you participated in ? I know its been well over a year with the old flash.

What parts have you changed since your mail in flash ?

Didn't you take your car to an acutal dyno with the mail in flash and it laid down a really great dyno result on an actual dyno ?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...29#post2016729

Was at the norcal dyno day at Gruppe-s this weekend. I must say I'm pretty happy with this mail in flash. I even got complements on how smooth the graph looked. For comparison's sake, my friend with an MR with works turbo back exhaust made 230whp and 237wtq. Stock evo's were making around 215-220whp on their Mustang dyno. I have HKS DP, works HFC, and helix cat back, along with the mail in flash and hallman MBC set at 20psi. Good work Al, I'm quite happy with this flash. Too bad I wont be able to make the Norcal custom tune trip you're making, I'll be at thunderhill instead.

I wonder if your old tune was so unsafe how it lasted for long and performed so well ?

I am sure your new tune will perform just as well under the rigors of road racing (I hope).

Enjoy !

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jul 25, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Rofl
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

I must have put about 35,000 miles on the car with the old flash, and I have done 4 track days on the car, mixing 100 octane with 91 octane at the track only. You're right, the car did perform VERY well, especially at that dyno day at GruppeS. I consistantly made more power than other off the shelf flashed evo's that day. I have not added any parts since the flash, just changed from the 3" helix exhaust to the smaller Apexi Noir and changed out a Works HFC to a test pipe. In all honesty the original tune was pretty good, I just wanted to work with it and fine tune it, thanks to Bryan we were able to do some of this. I have never had an actual problem with the tune itself, car ran great for the past 35,000 miles. I don't think anyone is stating it is "so unsafe" but could have been safer? Bryan's intent was just to show that more agressive doesn't always mean more power, that is all. BTW here are the fixed linked dyno graph's from Gruppe-S whey I dynoed the car last year.

Dyno:

AFR:

Last edited by dohcvtec; Jul 25, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it just me?? or does that AFR looks crazy??
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

It's not just you.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by vboy425
is it just me?? or does that AFR looks crazy??
That AFR was taken at the tailpipe with a hi-flow cat so take it with a grain of salt.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
That AFR was taken at the tailpipe with a hi-flow cat so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by vboy425; Jul 25, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I apologize I forgot the car had been swapped from a hi-flow cat to a test pipe.

Either way, the car did dyno well in the past. I even commented at that time (I was at that dyno day) that it was one of the better tunes I had seen in california from that "tuner".

Things change and so did the car and also everyone needs to keep in mind it was a off-the-shelf flash and just needed some more loving to get it running even better.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

I must have put about 35,000 miles on the car with the old flash, and I have done 4 track days on the car, mixing 100 octane with 91 octane at the track only. You're right, the car did perform VERY well, especially at that dyno day at GruppeS. I consistantly made more power than other off the shelf flashed evo's that day. I have not added any parts since the flash, just changed from the 3" helix exhaust to the smaller Apexi Noir and changed out a Works HFC to a test pipe. In all honesty the original tune was pretty good, I just wanted to work with it and fine tune it, thanks to Bryan we were able to do some of this. I have never had an actual problem with the tune itself, car ran great for the past 35,000 miles. I don't think anyone is stating it is "so unsafe" but could have been safer? Bryan's intent was just to show that more agressive doesn't always mean more power, that is all. BTW here are the fixed linked dyno graph's from Gruppe-S whey I dynoed the car last year.

Dyno:

AFR:

Thanks man for the honest and fair comments.

Its too bad you did not have time for the free adjustments I offered you when I came to nor cal as with 91 octane you can always pick up more power with custom tuning over a base flash.

My only purpose in commenting here was to show that it is easy to exagerate and "spin" something into what ever you want - when I read the first post I was wondering WHO was the unsafe tuner and what they had done that was so bad

After I realized that it was my mail in tune and that the car had already lasted a real long time - - I THEN REALIZED that there was nothing UNSAFE about the tune - as shown by the amount of miles driven on it and independant dyno verification

The words UNSAFE where an opinion and assumption advanced by the initial poster which are his own personal conclusions

Obviously, in this example - in REALITY the tune was not "UNSAFE"

Final comment - reiterating - on 91 octane you can tweak and adjust timing almost on a daily basis there is a thin line between making decent power and pulling timing and its hard to reach the exact perfect balance with a mail in tune. After spending a lot of time, I have come up with decent compromises which work very well and have proven very safe in ACTUAL practice and which make decent power and are pleasnt to drive. However, it has been the case with every 91 octane car I have custom tuned there is more power on the table with careful fine adjustment. It is a fact that on 91 the balance is so close the knock will often vary from tank of gas to tank of gas.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

I apologize I forgot the car had been swapped from a hi-flow cat to a test pipe.

Either way, the car did dyno well in the past. I even commented at that time (I was at that dyno day) that it was one of the better tunes I had seen in california from that "tuner".

Things change and so did the car and also everyone needs to keep in mind it was a off-the-shelf flash and just needed some more loving to get it running even better.
than it shouldn't do that. there must be knock @ that area.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:41 PM
Account Disabled

Honestly, I wish that every customer were as car savy and reasonable as you are. Thanks for your fair and resaonable articulation of the situation and best of luck with your machine !
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Thanks man for the honest and fair comments.

Its too bad you did not have time for the free adjustments I offered you when I came to nor cal as with 91 octane you can always pick up more power with custom tuning over a base flash.
I appreciated the offer, I really wanted to do that, however I had a track day at thunderhill (in the honda) that day. Of course I put track days above work, life, marriage, life, etc... Funny they don't have rehabs for track junkies?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As someone who does frequent the gruppe-s dyno, that is a nice curve. and is far better than what i see from a lot of more expensive mail in type reflashes.

Nice work also goes out to Bryan, and it will be interesting how much power it currently produces now in that state of tune.

Im sure it is making more power than some guys with cams who don't have an optimized tune and their curve likely isn't as smooth.

Last edited by EFIxMR; Jul 25, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
As someone who does frequent the gruppe-s dyno, that is a nice curve. and is far better than what i see from a lot of more expensive mail in type reflashes.

Nice work also goes out to Bryan, and it will be interesting how much power it currently produces now in that state of tune.

Im sure it is making more power than some guys with cams who don't have an optimized tune and their curve likely isn't as smooth.
Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
...Final comment...
That is about as plausible as the turbo I am prototyping in my garage out of toothpicks and cheeze-wiz that spools at 1250 rpm an makes as much power as a gt42.

Seriously, half the threads in this forum are cluttered by your multiple postings defending tunes/logs that haven't even been identified publicly as yours. You have about 10% of the posts in this thread alone, and have contributed < 1% of the useful information. The threads and this forum are not an extension of the Dynoflash customer service desk, please stop treating them that way.

Quick Reply: Safer tune produces more power.