Notices
ECU Flash

How to detect pulling of timing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i haven't used evoscan but on most loggers, the less parameters logged, the faster the sample rate.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhcevo
Thanks Malibu. I'm getting about 5 lines per second or so. Hmm...seems kinda on the low end.

This just occurred to me. If I only logged the handful of parameters I cared about I'd log faster no? In this case I would uncheck lots of the boxes in the evoscan big window...

Did you plug in both cables (the obdII connector and the other single wire connector) before turning on the ignition? You have to do that in order to put the ecu in diagnostic mode and get the high sample rates, in addition do like jack said and turn on turbo mode and minimize the window.

I'm able to get around 80/s on a very old p3 vaio laptop.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Turn on Turbo scan mode in the dropdown.. It should log quite a bit faster...
I don;t have "turbo scan" in the drop down menu. All it says is Logger SuperSpeed.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I don;t have "turbo scan" in the drop down menu. All it says is Logger SuperSpeed.
OOPS, yes its logger superspeed..
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my pockket logger logs 16-18 frames per second. pretty good for a palm IIIx
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bhcevo

The first thing I do is calculate load using the approximate formula: load = AirFlow*852/rpm. You can then assume this load is correct and go ahead with the analysis I offered above. This works out pretty well for me much of the time, but I don't rely on this analysis only.

in this formula, what measure of "airflow" applies?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by hondafan
in this formula, what measure of "airflow" applies?

AirFlow in the equation means what evoscan logs in its AirFlow column.

so take the Airflow number column, divide by the RPM number column, and multiply by 852.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

i don't have evoscan since i don't have a laptop, all i have is a pocketlogger which logs MAF Hz i believe. and i just noticed it doesn't even log knock sensor voltage, that sucks!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

i don't have evoscan since i don't have a laptop, all i have is a pocketlogger which logs MAF Hz i believe. and i just noticed it doesn't even log knock sensor voltage, that sucks!
The next time you think about spending $$$ on a cool Evo mod, STOP. Go to eBay, find an older laptop (IBM T20 will do nicely, for example) for cheap, then get ECUflash and Evoscan and the tactrix cable.

Also, the comment about timing only going up during a pull is not entirely correct. If you are still on the stock timing maps, there are areas where the timing will go up/down/up by design - although the overall trend is for timing to increase with RPM.

l8r)
Old Aug 1, 2006, 06:42 PM

I believe that evoscan AirFlow numbers are the same that you pocketlogger is recording. Somebody who has evoscan up take a look and see if the units of AirFlow are Hz.

If this is the case then proceed as I suggested above with the values your pocketlogger gives you.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vboy425
this is an really easy answer, log your timing and see if it dips. for example

let say this a log see how the timing as it climb up and start to go back down?? the turbo hit full spool at about 3500-3800rpm base on load condition, at that momment your timing should drop down to like 4 or 5 degree of timing and form there it should steady climb up

rpm timing
3000 5
3500 6
4000 7
4500 5
5000 5
5500 6

6000 7
6500 14
7000 18
This is not the correct method as stock and credible tuners reduce ignition timing at peak torque so you will have dips on a properly tuned map even without knock.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
This is not the correct method as stock and credible tuners reduce ignition timing at peak torque so you will have dips on a properly tuned map even without knock.
Your saying whether knocking or not the timing should be late at peak cyl pressures and advance on up?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:48 AM
Account Disabled

Late? Later? What is your question?

If you meant "later", then yes as high cyl pressures at peak tq is one of the locations where the highest probability of knock is. After peak tq the timing is ramped up to redline.

If you are able to keep ign timing constant without a dip, then there is additional room either before or after peak tq to add timing, IMO.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Aug 2, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Late? Later? What is your question?

If you meant "later", then yes as high cyl pressures at peak tq is one of the locations where the highest probability of knock is. After peak tq the timing is ramped up to redline.

If you are able to keep ign timing constant without a dip, then there is additional room either before or after peak tq to add timing, IMO.
If you're going WOT before peak torque then you haven't downshifted enough!

Problem Solved!!!

Ahahaha.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
The next time you think about spending $$$ on a cool Evo mod, STOP. Go to eBay, find an older laptop (IBM T20 will do nicely, for example) for cheap, then get ECUflash and Evoscan and the tactrix cable.

l8r)
i have ecuflash and the tactrix cable and a pocketlogger, just no laptop. i ordered a base map from al and loaded it from my desktop with a USB extension . i guess i'll start looking for a used laptop, just one that's able to run windows XP should be good right? any one know if evoscan's airflow is in Hz like a pocketlogger?