Notices
ECU Flash

How to ECUFLASH Questionsl.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to ECUFLASH Questionsl.

Sorry for the newbie question, but if you guys can help in answering these questions, I am sure a lot of people would apprecitate it. I just ordered my cable and just began to look at the software. And yes, I have read Andy's beginner guide already. Thanks for the write up Andy...

1. With ECUFLASH, are you able to change data in real time? (IE. change timing or fuel maps and it take affect immediately) or do you have to make the change and reflash your ECU for it to work?

2. If I have to reflash the ECU for my changes to work instead of it being changed in real time, is what you do to tune your car is get something like EVOSCAN V.09 log a run look at your logs, go to ECUFLASH and make map changes, reflash your ecu, take another run, log it to see if it brings you closer to where you want to be?

3. I see that there is a High Octane and a Low Octane map for fuel and timing, can someone explain to me why there are 2 maps for fuel and timing?

4. It is not clear to me what the load the load percentages represent in KPA? I know in Andy's tutorial 100% is the start of boost can someone confirm if that is true or and what 120-260-300% are in kpa or boost?

5. Before I buy the EVOSCAN software, does the software give me real time data also, or again is it a tool that just lets me log everything and review?

6. In EVOSCAN, will it tell me the load %? Or does it tell me load in KPA?

7. In EVOSCAN, I saw I can hook up my LM1 to it, to log my Wideband. I saw an example of a screen shot on there website and it looks like it shows the "O2" in voltage. How do I know what the AFR is in Voltage? Or is there a setting that will tell me what the AFR is (14.7:1-11.0:1)

Thanks You in Advance for answering these questions. I have been tuning for along time, but just new to ECUFLASH and EVOSCAN. I am sure if we can get these questions answered this would help other newbies that want to use ECUFLASH and EVOSCAN.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboevo8
Sorry for the newbie question, but if you guys can help in answering these questions, I am sure a lot of people would apprecitate it. I just ordered my cable and just began to look at the software. And yes, I have read Andy's beginner guide already. Thanks for the write up Andy...

1. With ECUFLASH, are you able to change data in real time? (IE. change timing or fuel maps and it take affect immediately) or do you have to make the change and reflash your ECU for it to work?

2. If I have to reflash the ECU for my changes to work instead of it being changed in real time, is what you do to tune your car is get something like EVOSCAN V.09 log a run look at your logs, go to ECUFLASH and make map changes, reflash your ecu, take another run, log it to see if it brings you closer to where you want to be?

3. I see that there is a High Octane and a Low Octane map for fuel and timing, can someone explain to me why there are 2 maps for fuel and timing?

4. It is not clear to me what the load the load percentages represent in KPA? I know in Andy's tutorial 100% is the start of boost can someone confirm if that is true or and what 120-260-300% are in kpa or boost?

5. Before I buy the EVOSCAN software, does the software give me real time data also, or again is it a tool that just lets me log everything and review?

6. In EVOSCAN, will it tell me the load %? Or does it tell me load in KPA?

7. In EVOSCAN, I saw I can hook up my LM1 to it, to log my Wideband. I saw an example of a screen shot on there website and it looks like it shows the "O2" in voltage. How do I know what the AFR is in Voltage? Or is there a setting that will tell me what the AFR is (14.7:1-11.0:1)

Thanks You in Advance for answering these questions. I have been tuning for along time, but just new to ECUFLASH and EVOSCAN. I am sure if we can get these questions answered this would help other newbies that want to use ECUFLASH and EVOSCAN.
1. No real time tuning yet.

2. That is how I do it.

3. If your ECU sees long term sustained knock, it will gradually switch over to the low octane map.

4. The load does not directly correlate to boost. Use MalibuJack's log analyzer to get the load into your log.

5. EvoScan can give you real time info, but the data rate is faster if you log it and review later.

6. See answer #4.

7. The O2 Voltage is separate from the wideband reading. The O2 Voltage is from the stock narrowband sensor in the O2 Housing.

Hope this helps.

-Paul
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Paul! It does help.

4. I know that the load does not necessarily correlate with boost, but the load represents the load point, where 100% and above is boost correct? If not, how do I tell where load is when I tune? For example if I log my wideband and know that 120 KPA is too rich, how do I know what numbers to change in my ECUFLash?

Thank You.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboevo8
Thanks for the quick reply Paul! It does help.

4. I know that the load does not necessarily correlate with boost, but the load represents the load point, where 100% and above is boost correct? If not, how do I tell where load is when I tune? For example if I log my wideband and know that 120 KPA is too rich, how do I know what numbers to change in my ECUFLash?

Thank You.
There are 3 or 4 threads about load calculations, I would recommend reading through them. It will help you understand where the ideas came from and how we got to the limited understanding we have now. As of right now, it is calculated as the absolute value of 5 x Injector Scaling x (Injector Pulse Width - Injector Latency) / AFRMAP.

-Paul
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

As for voltage...
Innovate has tables where you can map voltage to AF ratio.

Or you can go into Excel and use a simple linear formula to convert it.

I think for the AEM UEGO it's something like Y=2X+10 or whatever.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Narrowband V to AFR's is always tough... Its heavily dependent on exhaust temp and other conditions, hence the reason why most people don't use it for tuning at all.. Plus there are only a few 10ths of a volt that represent rich/lean/stoich at high load.. Add to that the sensor output is not linear and would be hard to represent as a useful value at voltages below .75v.. therefore you have .75, through 1v to represent AFR's..

Some of us are correlating wideband data from a different log source (assuming you have adequate logging to correlate the data together.. (I use RPM and roughly the timestamp) There are some widebands supported in Evoscan.. Its unlikely the one I use will ever be supported in Evoscan, but I did get it to work in the ECU+ control box and software.. ECU+ offers much better logging than the ECU (using any logging software, not just EvoScan) and I typically only look for knock sum and load, and octane number in the Evoscan logs.. Sometimes I have to watch additional data if there is some question..