Notices
ECU Flash

Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table

I've noticed on my IX that after hard acceleration, it feels like the throttle is still cracked open. There's almost no engine braking. In fact it feels like it slows down faster if you take it out of gear. I looked at some EvoScan logs and the ISC Steps (I'm assuming this is related to the Idle-Air Control Valve) climb to 120 when I'm on the throttle. After getting off the throttle, the ISC steps slowly decrease as RPMs fall. In normal driving this probably improves drivability by smoothing out off-throttle abruptness. However in spirited driving it feels like it's seriously hurting braking performance. I'd rather my right foot be in control of the amount of air to the engine instead of the computer taking over.

Has anyone tried to fix this with ECU flash? I see there's an Idle Stepper Lookup Table, but it only applies to very low RPM (0-1016). If the RPM axis was 0-8000 it would make perfect sense. I could just decrease the values and see what happens. I understand that 03 and 04 Evos don't suffer from this nearly as bad. Any ideas where the difference is? Could someone share their idle lookup table from an 03 or 04?

Last edited by ShiftySVT; Jan 17, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
I've noticed on my IX that after hard acceleration, it feels like the throttle is still open cracked open. There's almost no engine braking. In fact it feels like it slows down faster if you take it out of gear. I looked at some EvoScan logs and the ISC Steps (I'm assuming this is related to the Idle-Air Control Valve) climb to 120 when I'm on the throttle. After getting off the throttle, the ISC steps slowly decrease as RPMs fall. In normal driving this probably improves drivability by smoothing out off-throttle abruptness. However in spirited driving it feels like it's seriously hurting braking performance. I'd rather my right foot be in control of the amount of air to the engine instead of the computer taking over.

Has anyone tried to fix this with ECU flash? I see there's an Idle Stepper Lookup Table, but it only applies to very low RPM (0-1016). If the RPM axis was 0-8000 it would make perfect sense. I could just decrease the values and see what happens. I understand that 03 and 04 Evos don't suffer from this nearly as bad. Any ideas where the difference is? Could someone share there idle lookup table from an 03 or 04?
Bumpity bump

It would be great to have the ISCV chop the rpms quickly when the rpms are above 4000rpm yet still do its magic for improved gas mileage and emissions control.

Any input on this would be super.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the throttle hang on my 05. Someone please figure out how to disable it.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

bUMP cuz i have the same problem!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
I've noticed on my IX that after hard acceleration, it feels like the throttle is still open cracked open. There's almost no engine braking. In fact it feels like it slows down faster if you take it out of gear. I looked at some EvoScan logs and the ISC Steps (I'm assuming this is related to the Idle-Air Control Valve) climb to 120 when I'm on the throttle. After getting off the throttle, the ISC steps slowly decrease as RPMs fall. In normal driving this probably improves drivability by smoothing out off-throttle abruptness. However in spirited driving it feels like it's seriously hurting braking performance. I'd rather my right foot be in control of the amount of air to the engine instead of the computer taking over.

Has anyone tried to fix this with ECU flash? I see there's an Idle Stepper Lookup Table, but it only applies to very low RPM (0-1016). If the RPM axis was 0-8000 it would make perfect sense. I could just decrease the values and see what happens. I understand that 03 and 04 Evos don't suffer from this nearly as bad. Any ideas where the difference is? Could someone share there idle lookup table from an 03 or 04?
I have seen this table in the ECU and I couldn't figure out why the axis values were so small (0-1016). All I can figure is maybe the person who created the map definition in XML couldn't figure out what this table did so they left the scale values as the literal hex values instead of multiplying by 8 or something to get a full RPM value.

This is pure speculation, obviously. If someone has guts and more experience than me with tinkering, maybe the values in this table should be tweaked slightly to see if the RPM hang behavior is mitigated (or worsened).
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Interesting. Has anyone tried. And why do some see the dreaded RPM hang and yet some do not?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EMR8
Interesting. Has anyone tried. And why do some see the dreaded RPM hang and yet some do not?
RPM hang is only on 05-06.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:42 AM

This is a common problem. My throttle does not hang up anymore. While installing my SS clutch line, I took the restrictor out of the slave cylinder. It looks like a little poppet valve with a spring attached that can easily be removed by removing the banjo bolt on the bottom of the slave cylinder. The only pain was bleeding the cylinder again.

I believe that Mitsu installed this valve because of how weak the stock clutch is in our cars. As far as curing this with EcuFlash I have no idea.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GGEVO2k5MR
This is a common problem. My throttle does not hang up anymore. While installing my SS clutch line, I took the restrictor out of the slave cylinder. It looks like a little poppet valve with a spring attached that can easily be removed by removing the banjo bolt on the bottom of the slave cylinder. The only pain was bleeding the cylinder again.

I believe that Mitsu installed this valve because of how weak the stock clutch is in our cars. As far as curing this with EcuFlash I have no idea.
Im sorry, can you tell me how that cures the RPM hang. Will it cure it for me?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EMR8
Im sorry, can you tell me how that cures the RPM hang. Will it cure it for me?
It has nothing to do with rpm hang. I have noticed reflashing and tuning cars appears to cure it in the process.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GGEVO2k5MR

Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

My car is flashed and tunned. What do you mean, flash it again and see if it fixes it?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:08 AM

I also had a flash and still had the issue as well...I did notice it went away when I took the restrictor out, changed to the SS clutchline, and put my exedy twin HD in. The restrictor in the clutch line regulates how much of the fluid goes through the line. Its about the size of a pin hole and when removing it allowed the fluid to flow better.

Im not trying to give false information here. Its just from my experience the hanging rpms went away after doing this.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is another possible cause of the symptom, when I was testing different Diverter valves, the more tightly springed they were, the more likely you would get the RPM raise between shifts.. Since the IX valve is springed firmer this can also contribute to the issue..

HOWEVER, this is just a partial cause, the Base Idle Speed Setting is a bypass valve, as is the Idle Stepper Control Valve, both let air past the throttlebody, and when you have a firmly springed valve, slight excess boost pressure, and a ICSV setting or BISS setting to increase idle speed to prevent some types of stalling, you will get the idle hang/raise..
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:00 PM
Account Disabled

Maybe what i am experienceing is a little different. After a WOT pull i may let of the gas at any given RPM. Usualy above say 4k, the car fells like the cruise control is on. I get no engine braking and it will just continue to cruse along at that RPM. Its defenetly not a stuck throttle cable BTW.

Quick Reply: Throttle hang and the Idle Stepper Table