Notices
ECU Flash

Don't think it's the tuning - trying to find the culprit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
In the logs I was reviewing the knock was starting at 2750 rpms and in one log it hit 23 knock count there and held steady knocking all the way through the power band

The interesting thing to note is that at that exact map location the STOCK TIMING is slightly HIGHER than the flash tuned timing so razorlab's theory is not accurate
I said peak torque, not 2750. Show me the stock map where it has 8* at peak torque.

My theory is accurate, wither or not it is his problem, is still to be determined.

Here is my post quoted again:

Originally Posted by razorlab
In all honesty, with 8* advance at peak torque you are probably on the edge or over MBTT. Which is probably why the knock isn't consistant. Some pulls everything is nice and cool or feeling great, clean pull, next pull things are a little hotter, or you are on a incline, or other factors and it knocks and pull timing.

Try putting your timing at 3000 to 4500 to 4-5 degrees and see if your pulls become more consistant and knock less or not at all.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Maybe you have a faulty injector. If the higher octane dont fix it then go to get your injectors flow tested.

++++++++1

I was chasing my tail for a long time on knock and it turned out the be a bad injector.

Pull the plugs and look down at the tops of the pistons with a good flashlight. They shold all be uniform in coloration, carbon black. I had 1,2 & 4 black as coal while 3 was.. well.. tarnished metal looking with no carbon at all. #3 injector was bad.

RC Engineering will clean and flow test them for $125. But I would save that for after the race gas, since you may be dealing with mechanical noise rather than knock.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mad_VIII
++++++++1

I was chasing my tail for a long time on knock and it turned out the be a bad injector.

Pull the plugs and look down at the tops of the pistons with a good flashlight. They shold all be uniform in coloration, carbon black. I had 1,2 & 4 black as coal while 3 was.. well.. tarnished metal looking with no carbon at all. #3 injector was bad.

RC Engineering will clean and flow test them for $125. But I would save that for after the race gas, since you may be dealing with mechanical noise rather than knock.
Well the reason why I say that is similar to your issue..had a friend using some 2 yr old venom 600cc sat..on a turbo honda..he kept getting a lean condition and one of the cylinders detonated..pulled head all other cylinders were fine..1 had detonation..so he labeld the injectors based on cylinder they were in and took them to flow test and low and behold the injector that was in the cylinder with the detonation flowed much less than the other 3
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Put the stock map on and see what you get. You should get a few (like1-3) random knocks ever now and then. If the stock map runs as it should, it would rule out everything(fake knock, octane, DP hitting, etc, etc) and means your tune is off.

Like Razor said, a tune can be to aggressive and only knock every couple runs (like 1 in 4), but when it knocks, it could knock like crazy (like its doing). Reguardless, in that sitution, it would be the tune and nothing else.

Easiest way to check would be throwing the stock ROM back on, like I said.

Also, thats the most knock I've seen. The fact that your motor didnt blow is crazy. I didnt know that knock could go that high. I got scaried on my friends car, when we saw 10-12.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

A few comments

FIRST - its sad that even though I tuned just about 4,000 evos WITHOUT ANY incidence of tuning related problems . . . . I still have to deal with the arm chair newbie tuner experts who warn of dire danger with my tuning. I would have hoped after 3 years of tuning evos and NO PROBLEMS that some of you would give me a tiny bit of credit for what I have done - what ever is all I can say.

SECOND - I sent this customer a "special map" to test to compare against my custom tuned map

He is still picking up the same random knock occurence as he saw with my tuning.

Obviously the "problem" is not likely a bad knock sesnor or something loose on the motor of the down pipe hitting the frame.

My tune is not what is casuing the problem as it does the same thing with the 100% stock tune.

Thanks

Al
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

I said peak torque, not 2750. Show me the stock map where it has 8* at peak torque.

My theory is accurate, wither or not it is his problem, is still to be determined.

Here is my post quoted again:
How many evos have you tuned on a dyno with 93 optane west coast fuel ?

OH I forget they only have 91 octane on the west coast

We have 93 on the east coast

case closed

Last edited by DynoFlash; Oct 11, 2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

A few comments

FIRST - its sad that even though I tuned just about 4,000 evos WITHOUT ANY incidence of tuning related problems . . . . I still have to deal with the arm chair newbie tuner experts who warn of dire danger with my tuning. I would have hoped after 3 years of tuning evos and NO PROBLEMS that some of you would give me a tiny bit of credit for what I have done - what ever is all I can say.

Al
Al, seriously you need to get over yourself. I was not saying the tune was bad, I was suggesting a problem solving technique much like what you where doing.

You have to realize at some point that not ALL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD ARE TUNER NEWBIES.

I've been messing with and tuning 4G63 powered cars for over 9 yrs, last I checked, that's longer then you have, so I say this with politeness, stop bringing that same crap everytime you feel contested on a subject.

He came to the ECUFLASH forum to ask for ideas from US. I gave him one. Is this the dynoflash forum? no.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 11, 2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Interested in the outcome... I'm just curious as to what the deal is... I'm still thinking it's got to be mechanical... keep us updated and ignore the bs
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:11 PM
Account Disabled

Al, seriously you need to get over yourself. I was not saying the tune was bad, I was suggesting a problem solving technique much like what you where doing.

You have to realize at some point that not ALL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD ARE TUNER NEWBIES.

I've been messing with and tuning 4G63 powered cars for over 9 yrs, last I checked, that's longer then you have, so I say this with politeness, stop bringing that same crap everytime you feel contested on a subject.

He came to the ECUFLASH forum to ask for ideas from US. I gave him one. Is this the dynoflash forum? no.

Look - there is no rocket science in tuning

I found it to be mostly hard work and trial and error

It really annoys me to read through your opinions posted as facts - particularly on something you have never tested

Example

In all honesty, with 8* advance at peak torque you are probably on the edge or over MBTT. Which is probably why the knock isn't consistant. Some pulls everything is nice and cool or feeling great, clean pull, next pull things are a little hotter, or you are on a incline, or other factors and it knocks and pull timing.

Try putting your timing at 3000 to 4500 to 4-5 degrees and see if your pulls become more consistant and knock less or not at all.

I spent over 100 dyno hours on R & D before my first tune so I have some ideas about MBT on 93 octane

I have prob spent several thousands of hours tuning and diagnosing evos all over the United States, it is really bizzare to me that people will question what I have done without any facts or data to support their "opinions"

Oh well its a free world - everyone can say what ever they want

Peace

Last edited by DynoFlash; Oct 11, 2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

It really annoys me to read through your opinions posted as facts - particularly on something you have never tested
How do you know I have not tested? I never said it was facts, I said it was my opinion. I didn't say "that is 100% past MBTT", I said it "could be/probably close or over" MBTT on his motor. Since you have tested "several thousands of hours" of MBTT on evos, you should know every car is slightly different.

I have prob spent several thousands of hours tuning and diagnosing evos all over the United States, it is really bizzare to me that people will question what I have done without any facts or data to support their "opinions"
See above.

Either way, this is going off-topic.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
A few comments

SECOND - I sent this customer a "special map" to test to compare against my custom tuned map

He is still picking up the same random knock occurence as he saw with my tuning.

Obviously the "problem" is not likely a bad knock sesnor or something loose on the motor of the down pipe hitting the frame.

My tune is not what is casuing the problem as it does the same thing with the 100% stock tune.

Thanks

Al
Like Razor said, you really need to get over yourself.

Also, If you such the great "tooner", then why is it that every week someone with one of your tunes comes on and post logs with the knock sums though the roof.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Keep this On topic for the OP,

Check mechanical knock, a warn/warped Clutch can cause serious knock, i was getting knock counts of 23 on c16 and only 20psi boost 4* timing before i swapped out my clutch, with my new RPS Twin carbon 0 knock (8* a peak Tq 22psi and 91pistane)
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Put the stock map on and see what you get. You should get a few (like1-3) random knocks ever now and then. If the stock map runs as it should, it would rule out everything(fake knock, octane, DP hitting, etc, etc) and means your tune is off.

Like Razor said, a tune can be to aggressive and only knock every couple runs (like 1 in 4), but when it knocks, it could knock like crazy (like its doing). Reguardless, in that sitution, it would be the tune and nothing else.

Easiest way to check would be throwing the stock ROM back on, like I said.

Also, thats the most knock I've seen. The fact that your motor didnt blow is crazy. I didnt know that knock could go that high. I got scaried on my friends car, when we saw 10-12.
Al sent me a completely stock map yesterday.

I loaded the map and made serveral pulls. All pulls were done on the same stretch of road. All done in 3rd gear.

If you look at the attached maps all are within reason except one. This one abnormal log once again had _knock_counts_ through the roof.

Originally Posted by justchil
Interested in the outcome... I'm just curious as to what the deal is... I'm still thinking it's got to be mechanical... keep us updated and ignore the bs
I'm at a loss at what it could be. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for mechanical 'issues.'

I'm going to go under the car this weekend and look to see what kind of clearance I have around the DP. From a quick visual inspection it looks like I have enough clearance from the bottom.

I'm also going to try and swap out the knock sensor. If anyone has any first hand experience and would like to steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

It's troubling that I get this spurious knock count because as you can see by the logs tons of timing gets pulled and power is compromised. Until I find this problem I'm always going to have this anomaly.

It's true that I posted on this forum for information. I didn't post to flame anyone. I _never_ posted who tuned my map, but many of you 'figured' out who it was. I was truly just searching for knowledge and wanted to know what others - more versed in these matters than me - thought.

Not everyone is going to agree with how someone does things. People are always going to take pride in their work. People are always going to think that they can do something better than the next guy. I find it very inappropriate when other vendors argue on this board. As far as I know Al has tuned more Evo's than many of the other tuners and I have never seen one post where something catastrophic happened to people's cars.

I respect all who have the knowledge to tune our cars. It's a skill that is much appreciated by many in this community.

I have to give credit to Al because he stepped up to the plate and helped me troubleshoot the problem.

Now I just have to find the culprit and try and fix it.

If any of you have any ideas I would like to hear them.

I'm going to do one last test to allay my worries. Sometime next week I'm going to pick up some 100 octane fuel and dump in an empty tank and do some logging.

It's a great time to be an Evo owner because of all these tools that are coming out for us to use.

*** run number two has the high knock count ***
Attached Files
File Type: zip
runs 1-3.zip (76.8 KB, 11 views)
runs 4-6.zip (82.5 KB, 4 views)
runs 7-8.zip (78.8 KB, 4 views)
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kapolani
Al sent me a completely stock map yesterday.

I loaded the map and made serveral pulls. All pulls were done on the same stretch of road. All done in 3rd gear.

If you look at the attached maps all are within reason except one. This one abnormal log once again had _knock_counts_ through the roof.

I'm at a loss at what it could be. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for mechanical 'issues.'

I'm going to go under the car this weekend and look to see what kind of clearance I have around the DP. From a quick visual inspection it looks like I have enough clearance from the bottom.

I'm also going to try and swap out the knock sensor. If anyone has any first hand experience and would like to steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

It's troubling that I get this spurious knock count because as you can see by the logs tons of timing gets pulled and power is compromised. Until I find this problem I'm always going to have this anomaly.

It's true that I posted on this forum for information. I didn't post to flame anyone. I _never_ posted who tuned my map, but many of you 'figured' out who it was. I was truly just searching for knowledge and wanted to know what others - more versed in these matters than me - thought.

Not everyone is going to agree with how someone does things. People are always going to take pride in their work. People are always going to think that they can do something better than the next guy. I find it very inappropriate when other vendors argue on this board. As far as I know Al has tuned more Evo's than many of the other tuners and I have never seen one post where something catastrophic happened to people's cars.

I respect all who have the knowledge to tune our cars. It's a skill that is much appreciated by many in this community.

I have to give credit to Al because he stepped up to the plate and helped me troubleshoot the problem.

Now I just have to find the culprit and try and fix it.

If any of you have any ideas I would like to hear them.

I'm going to do one last test to allay my worries. Sometime next week I'm going to pick up some 100 octane fuel and dump in an empty tank and do some logging.

It's a great time to be an Evo owner because of all these tools that are coming out for us to use.

*** run number two has the high knock count ***

A few ideas

1- The stock knock sensor is fairly cheap - just replace it and see what effect that has

2 - Get some chassis ears such as the ones by snap on and listen to the engine as it is making that large knock count - that will help identify what the noise is

3 - Buy a $120 KNOCK LINK which gives you a great visual gauge of knock and uses a seperate Bosch knock sensor - I have one on all my turbo cars - see if it shows knock when the ecu sees it

Best of luck to track down a dicey problem

__________________________________________________ _______________

Final note for the peanut gallery

Knock counts DO NOT always = actual knock

Actual knock does NOT always trigger knock counts

The best way to identfiy actual knock is with your ears and by looking at the spark plugs

__________________________________________________ ______

Last edited by DynoFlash; Oct 11, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a wideband in the car? Do you have some kind of funny intake filter? Did you bang up the maf honeycomb at all when installing a filter?

Quick Reply: Don't think it's the tuning - trying to find the culprit