Notices
ECU Flash

I'm maxxed out. WTF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob W.
Since the method of calibration is different, I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison between the free-air type of cals used on most sensors and the factory cal'ing done on the AEM. However, according to my manual, the spec on the sensor is: 80,000km nominal on unleaded fuel, accuracy of +-0.7%. (I assume that's a percentage of Lambda, not AFR)
I am not talking about the unit, I am talking about the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor that almost all wideband units use. The Bosch unit's resistor that is caliberated from the factory tends to dull with use and differing enviro conditions. That is why you should do free air caliberation of the Bosch sensor every now and then. If you do not, then your readings will become less and less accurate with time. The sensor will still be accurate @ stoich, but in other areas it will not accurate.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob W.
The idea that your tuner saw this fuel pump problem and just maxed your fuel tables out without telling you about it is a real joke. WTF!? I mean, forget about all the advanced timing vs. lean AFR debates.. not telling you was simply irresponsible!
Yes it was very irresponsible of Al. He stated to me that he could not add anymore fuel because he was lacking a parameter in his map definitions when he had tuned more than enough IXs to know that it was a fuel issue and not the map.

He continued to perform the tune and not tell me my fuel pump was bad because he wanted my money.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffR116
Yes it was very irresponsible of Al. He stated to me that he could not add anymore fuel because he was lacking a parameter in his map definitions when he had tuned more than enough IXs to know that it was a fuel issue and not the map.

He continued to perform the tune and not tell me my fuel pump was bad because he wanted my money.
I was thinking that too. I'm wondering if he has his side of the story.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel pump may only be part of the problem and your wideband may be dead on. If the pickup screens are dirty / clogged that will cause it to run leaner, I got .5 afr richer after changeing the pickup screens (one on the walbro and one in the other side of the tank on the end of the fuel pickup).

Could also have a bad FPR. Check your Fuel pressure at idel and at idle with the vacume line pulled off the FPR.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Fuel pump may only be part of the problem and your wideband may be dead on. If the pickup screens are dirty / clogged that will cause it to run leaner, I got .5 afr richer after changeing the pickup screens (one on the walbro and one in the other side of the tank on the end of the fuel pickup).

Could also have a bad FPR. Check your Fuel pressure at idel and at idle with the vacume line pulled off the FPR.
Only 3 counts of knock falling off quickly at 13.1 afr? I'm pretty sure my wideband is off.

My Fuel pump pickup screen was as clean as could be, but I'll check the other one as well, just to eliminate the possible errors.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

How old is the sensor?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

About 4 months old. The sensor was also out of the exhaust for a week while I was in the process of switching exhausts. If it got wet during that period, it would totally kill the sensor.