Notices
ECU Flash

Can oil pressure be logged thru EVOSCAN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can oil pressure be logged thru EVOSCAN

Since we are logging thru the obd2 port should we be able to log the oil pressure if the address is found since the sensor is designed to throw a check engine light if the oil gets low enough to trigger the sensor? I would definetly find this benificial because I really dont like the idea of having an oil pressure gauge in my cockpit.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
I would definetly find this benificial because I really dont like the idea of having an oil pressure gauge in my cockpit.

You do know that most electronic gauges use a control box that the pressure signal is fed to right? Meaning no lines full of oil in the cabin.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the stock sensor is a pressure switch anyway, therefore although it may report to the ECU (I'm not even sure, I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams lately) it probably will only report a state and not actual pressure.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
You do know that most electronic gauges use a control box that the pressure signal is fed to right? Meaning no lines full of oil in the cabin.
no
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
No didnt know never used an oil pressure gauge expect for one to test vtec pressure lol
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I think the stock sensor is a pressure switch anyway, therefore although it may report to the ECU (I'm not even sure, I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams lately) it probably will only report a state and not actual pressure.
Yea that is what I was stating the pressure. But if it is logging the pressure and you notice that it has changed significantly that can be an indication of bad bearings or other things like leaks. But you are the genius I am just throwing out ideas lol.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
also, usually you have the oil pressure sensor screwed into the block or somewhere else, the electrical goes off that and goes into the gauge in the cabin, there is no reason to have lines of oil anywhere.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Yea that is what I was stating the pressure. But if it is logging the pressure and you notice that it has changed significantly that can be an indication of bad bearings or other things like leaks. But you are the genius I am just throwing out ideas lol.
it is not logging the pressure. it is a switch, meaning on or off. if you have pressure, there will be no light, if you have no pressure, the switch is on (or off which ever way you want to define it) and the light will turn on.

therefore tapping into this signal wire will not give you any pressure, it will most likely be 5V or 0V. one or the other depending on if you have oil pressure or not.

if you want to log pressure buy a zeitronix WBo2 and a 3 wire oil pressure sensor (prefferably one that will thread into the stock oil filter housing ports. hook up the +5V map sensor wire to the first wire of the OP sensor. hook the second wire up to the Aux in, and the last wire to the sensor ground from the zeitronix. now when you run the zeitronix system you will get a pressure signal in the aux in. it will read 0-5V but you can convert that to pressure quite easily.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On my UK/JDM IX the oil pressure has its own light. There is nothing wired to the ECU regarding oil pressure, so nothing loggable.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just checked my car, it has a oil pressure light also.. Looked at the wiring diagram and its definitely not wired to the ECU in any way.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about oil pressure, but one thing I can tell you is that blood pressure seems to be very consistant with the load respectfully (when using stock MAF).
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The highest systolic BP I have recorded is 290mmHg. Similar to my overboost fuel cut I suppose