Notices
ECU Flash

2-step launch.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-step launch.

I just want to know, its pretty much impossible to launch the car with the 2-step launch with a stock clutch and your restrictor pill in the slave cylinder? The clutch will just automaticlly slip right? I tried it once the clutch slipped pretty bad.
What i want to know is once you remove the restrictor pill in the slave cylinder does the stock clutch still hold up pretty well until it burns out?
Also anybody still have the stock clutch in after many launches and higher milage?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Its all relative to where you put the 2-step. Higher (5700rpm+) will wear it out much faster. The stock clutch will take the abuse for a little while but eventually youre just going to peel away at it till you cant even drag yourself up a hill. If i were you i'd start with a conservative limit until you had the proper clutch (ACT HDSS,Twin Disk,Etc)
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

well what im asking is about that restrictor pill in the slave cylinder, I think its impossible to launch without your clutch fully slipping with the pill still in there am i correct?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
No its all a matter of driving style and how good you are launching AWD to begin with. For instance the first time I went to the track more or less untuned I ran a 12.66 @ 109.1 in 95* heat. Clutch had the restrictor in. I didnt burn the clutch once. I do know that I felt limited by that though, but even then I was leaving at 6500rpm. It can be done, its just a matter of driving. I have it out now and like it ALOT better this way as its alot more predictable.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

so you used wartalons method to launch with the restrictor pill in, and your clutch didnt slip at all?

Damn i must have a ****ty clutch, cause i set my 2-step to 4k rpms, and it still slipped, im scared to keep trying it cause i wouldnt be able to do the clutch until atleast next summer, im just going to take the restrictor pill out and try it one more time.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
No I used my method. The one that I learned when I launched 1G DSM's starting LONG AGO. The same method (more or less) that you use with a high horsepower RWD.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

LOL^^^^what he said. Being used to FWD launches (drop and spin) When I got my first AWD (WRX) I went through 3 clutches and 2 trannies before I learned WTF to do.
Now with my evo (stock) I got it right the second launch (1.8 60' unpreped track with bald tires). You want to slip enough to buffer the initial shock, but release before you heat things up too much and start glazing your disk. Basicly, slip quick till you feel the car go forward then release. This will take practice, time, and $$$$. Unless your a quick learner. IMHO, you take that pill out and you will have a greater chance of tranny damage and therefore greater repair bills. Lean with the pill in. Try setting the 2 step to 55-6k instead. Thats how I taught my wife to launch her IX. 20 launches later with 7k total miles and the clutch is still fine.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

How would raising the 2-step be better? Wouldnt it just build more boost and in doing so add more stress on everything?

Also when you launch with the 2-step the gas is held down at WOT the entire time right?

Cause the problem with the slipping method i have, i can slip it to get the initial roll started but as soon as i go to let it out the clutch just slips. It sort of feels like its grabbing slipping grabbing slipping, but super fast like ABS does with brakes.

And i get a faint smell of clutch after that. Maybe my clutch just happends to be a garbage one.