Notices
ECU Flash

Boost with Ecuflash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCS / others -- I have seen load in the ~300 range (boost is ~ 25 psi at that point), but suspect that 275/280 is better for pump. Thoughts?

Also, would you please share the load and rpm (and gear) to boost conversion? I don't yet have a MAP and would like to compare gauge to formula (FWIW, when I dyno'd I had the boost logged and the autometer gauge was spot on...)

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If it is the estimated load based on IPW and AFRMAP then it can read a little high.

I previously posted the 88590013,14,15 changes to get real load logging which would be a bit more precise.

I presently peak at 25 PSI and hold 24 PSI on 98/99 RON (like 93-94 PON) pump fuel through the midrange, tapering off to 20 PSI at red line. At this level with airbox mod and 3" exhaust/Walbro it takes excellent timing. I can push it further across the range but the timing needs too much retard for extra boost. I think the present level I'm running is sweet.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, I've been reading about EcuFlash and how to control boost via Max Wastegate Duty and Turbo Boost Error Correction tables. Also read on how to set engine load and thus control boost by increasing the Boost Desired Engine Load and Boost Control Load Offset tables. My car is 100% stock and I have EvoScan and the Tactrix cable. I have already read my stock rom and have been studying it while I read these various threads.

My questions:

I want to hold more boost in the higher rpm range than stock, can I do this without upgrading the exhaust?

If I want the turbo to spool quicker, would I increase the Max Wastegate Duty tables?...or perhaps run the JDM VVT Map values?

Was it ever confirmed if the Boost Desired Engine Load tables 1, 2, & 3 as well as the three Max Wastegate Duty tables are gear dependent on the IX?

Clearly, I don't want to change much and am learning slowly, but I wanted to get an idea of how much room I have to work with on a totally stock car.

BTW, I'm coming from an 04 WRX and used the GM Boost Control Soleniod...boost was controlled via wastegate duty cycle tables only and then fine tuned with turbo burst and turbo dynamics tables. The IX ecu seems to be much more complicated and it's tough because I keep thinking that there is a boost target table that reads in psi

Any help would be much appreciated
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by subaruwrx420
My questions:

I want to hold more boost in the higher rpm range than stock, can I do this without upgrading the exhaust?
Depends on what boost you are able to hold now. Max on most WG actuators and the maps maxxed out is 20-21. I have managed 23 and can make it hold more now, but I am using some additional hardware for that. If you do not currently have a TBE or at least a catback I would not suggest running more boost as it will cause EGT's and knock issues to become more prominent.

If I want the turbo to spool quicker, would I increase the Max Wastegate Duty tables?...or perhaps run the JDM VVT Map values?
This is a function of exhaust and MIVEC. The JDM RS MIVEC table makes a big difference as does the MIVEC map that I have posted in the past.

Was it ever confirmed if the Boost Desired Engine Load tables 1, 2, & 3 as well as the three Max Wastegate Duty tables are gear dependent on the IX?
Not that I am aware of. Boost load is dependent on just that load. Depending on where you start the pull from and what gear you are in you will always get different amounts of boost though it should stay fairly constant. If you are worried about it make all three tables the same. I am pretty sure the three separate tables are like the ignition tables, all dependent on operation parameters.

Clearly, I don't want to change much and am learning slowly, but I wanted to get an idea of how much room I have to work with on a totally stock car.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

^^Thanks for the response.

I guess a TBE is in my future. Apparently, the best way to have the ECU control boost is by removing the restrictor pill nearest to the BCS. Although I remember reading a thread where a guy was running more boost without any physical modifications to the stock BCS system.

I'm also curious to try the JDM VVT values on a stock car to see how the car behaves, has anyone tried that?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
no, leave the boost limit tables as 319.
NO Don't set the boost limit to 319. This means you have no boost cut, in the event of a problem with your boost control the engine could be exposed to boost that will blow it up.

If your running in the 240 load cells set boost cut to say, 255. If your well tuned in the 260 cells then 275. Not hard is it.

MB
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcsbanks

>Boost cut delay timer set @ what seems to be an arbitrary number from 1000. Why? What is it for?
1000ms (1 sec) with the load over the cut and it will fuel cut.

>Boost limit set @ 319. I understand that this one is maxed out, correct? What does 319 translate to psi?
319 engine load. Low 30s PSI. I don't think engine load could ever exceed 319 though.
I'm hitting fuel cut, holding over 319kpa I fiddled with changing the RPM scaled to get around it and thought I had it fixed but I hit fuel cut again last night. I'll have to try messing with the 1000ms setting (not at my laptop right now and not sure if I can go higher than that anyway)
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Hum... Weird.. I though 319 turned it off...
bleh... now i know it's just a new maximum... :P
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

It's 319 in my map tune that came from RRE and I'm using a MBC to control boost. I know this isnt the best thing to be doing but so far it has worked. Mellon is currently doing a massive clean-up on this cluster-*explicit* tune from them and hasn't touched the 319 at all.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, 319 doesn't disable it, just moves it higher than most people will ever hit intentionally. I upped the timer value and now I'm not getting fuel cut so far.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
yep, 319 doesn't disable it, just moves it higher than most people will ever hit intentionally. I upped the timer value and now I'm not getting fuel cut so far.
Yes you need to just up the MS to something crazy high and you will never hit it, of course this basically turns boost cut off...