Notices
ECU Flash

ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i guess no one is on here anymore?
Regardless, fixed my issue. Did a clean install of window 10, added my saved ROMs and XML's all good, everything works.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Ya it seems like no one uses the program any more. I couldnt figure out my issue which sounds similar to yours so I just ordered up an AEM ecu instead. Much simpler and much more support.
Old May 1, 2019, 03:31 AM

Hi! I'm a new guy here, so I cannot find any useful info, even using the search function. My question is about using Evoscan v2.5 with my 1g fwd DSM. I bought the application but not the cable, because I already have a cable I've used when logging with Palm and mmcd application. That cable is a serial cable and I have a serial port in my laptop. Evoscan v2.5 even has an option to select "COM PORT" in its Device Setup, but why is it greyed out and unable to select? The official datalogging cable by Evoscan is only a serial datalogging cable with an USB converter, so basically all the communication is still in serial format.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:09 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikez87
Hi! I'm a new guy here, so I cannot find any useful info, even using the search function. My question is about using Evoscan v2.5 with my 1g fwd DSM. I bought the application but not the cable, because I already have a cable I've used when logging with Palm and mmcd application. That cable is a serial cable and I have a serial port in my laptop. Evoscan v2.5 even has an option to select "COM PORT" in its Device Setup, but why is it greyed out and unable to select? The official datalogging cable by Evoscan is only a serial datalogging cable with an USB converter, so basically all the communication is still in serial format.
evoscan relies on the openport driver to communicate with the ECU, the comm port selection is for interfacing with other logging hardware controllers like a wideband.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
evoscan relies on the openport driver to communicate with the ECU, the comm port selection is for interfacing with other logging hardware controllers like a wideband.
Thank you for your reply. That was quicker than I expected.
Yes there are menus for setting up wideband com port "WideBand (WDB)" and in "Logging" menu I can select USB, COM and ELM devices. But in the main window, there is this option I'm not able to select (marked yellow). Also 1g DSM cars don't use openport, they are pre-OBD2. Do I still have to use Openport driver?

Evoscan v2.5 Device Setup
Old May 1, 2019, 02:23 PM

oh thats interesting. My newer version of evoscan doesn't have that option. I don't have any 1g experience so unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:33 PM

Yeah v2.5 is the last version with OBDI support, newer ones don't have the option anymore. But thank you!
Old May 10, 2019, 02:57 PM

We made some progress here. Found out, that we need a FTDI based serial converter and a basic serial datalogging cable. Now Evoscan detects the adapter as a USB device and it tries to communicate. But it always ends in "did not find serial latency timer" error and we cannot get past it. We did change the serial latency timer but no luck there. Also tried different baud rates.

There's nothing wrong with the cables and adapters used, because we got a connection using TunerPro right away, no hassle at all. All values were immediately readable and they reacted to throttling etc. So there shouldn't be problems with the driver used either (we still tried drivers that came with Evoscan, and drivers Windows found, and also some other version of the same driver also)

Maybe Evoscan is locked to their own cable which sucks badly. But I believe, that cable is just a stock FTDI UART cable, with Mitsubishi connector, and double priced. Maybe we can get it working with low budget adapters... But if it's not possible, I'll just use TunerPro.

Still have to try with 32bit Win7, Win10 and WinXP in virtual environment, maybe some combination could work. That "COM PORT" selection still isn't selectable after installing the serial adapter, evoscan only sees the usb device. Well, whatever works, but why do they even have that option if it cannot be used.
Old May 10, 2019, 04:19 PM

These might be helpful.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ho...-cable.203316/
http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/
Old May 11, 2019, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the links.

I have a Palm VX that works flawlessly with my DSM, using a cable similar as described in that dsmtuners page. And it has been helpful with the car (and also a nice-to-have perk, to show around). My Palm is just getting old and I'm not going to buy a new one, so my goal is to modernize my logging equipment And as a hobbyist, it must be done using a clever way. I might end up hiding a USB port somewhere in the center console etc... And only activate the ECU diagnostic mode when the usb cable has been plugged in (because the diagnostic mode deactivates ABS system, it cannot be activated all the time).

I'll post here when if we found a solution. But if anyone has done this already, please tell The problem is, Evoscan does not communicate using the cables that I already know to be working ones.

<- it's a gear shifter, right?

God I love this forum. The quick reply window timed out during writing a message. "Token expired, please refresh window". I'm happy I have a habit of copying everything (ctrl + c) every time and everywhere, before clickin the send button.
edit: So I had to logoff this forum and login, before it accepted my message /offtopic
Old May 11, 2019, 02:36 AM

(hey guys is it appropriate here? mods pls move if necessary..)

need help with evo V logging/tuning/cable needed

i have read most forums re: the matter but wanted to confirm/ get updated im confused of what to do..

i have 2 friends that has evo v, and want to do an e-tune is it possible with ecu flash now? if it is..

cable: use tactrix 2.0 plus the reflash connector needed; correct?

do i need a different cable for logging as well? or just same?

i have an evo x and e-tuned as well so have bit of knowledge here, just helping my friends for now, and also wondering how to proceed..

PFA
Old May 11, 2019, 05:08 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikez87
We made some progress here. Found out, that we need a FTDI based serial converter and a basic serial datalogging cable. Now Evoscan detects the adapter as a USB device and it tries to communicate. But it always ends in "did not find serial latency timer" error and we cannot get past it. We did change the serial latency timer but no luck there. Also tried different baud rates.
Maybe Evoscan is locked to their own cable which sucks badly. But I believe, that cable is just a stock FTDI UART cable
Nope, EvoScan is not locked to any cables. Yep its a stock FTDI UART cable, but it has diodes, resistors, inverters, mitsubishi plug, and a working driver. Thats what you get for your money. if you are missing a serial latency timer, then you have a bad driver installed on your machine. make sure you get the legit FTDI driver from the ftdi website. and there are some FTDI clone cables out there that FTDI have locked out of their very own cable drivers. Nothing to do with Evoscan, we just read any ftdi driver, nothing is locked from our side. Cheers, Hamish.
The following 2 users liked this post by evoscan:
Construct (May 11, 2019), XxOLIVERxX (May 12, 2019)
Old May 11, 2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by evoscan
Nope, EvoScan is not locked to any cables. Yep its a stock FTDI UART cable, but it has diodes, resistors, inverters, mitsubishi plug, and a working driver. Thats what you get for your money. if you are missing a serial latency timer, then you have a bad driver installed on your machine. make sure you get the legit FTDI driver from the ftdi website. and there are some FTDI clone cables out there that FTDI have locked out of their very own cable drivers. Nothing to do with Evoscan, we just read any ftdi driver, nothing is locked from our side. Cheers, Hamish.
Wow, thanks for the info! Is it possible to use native COM port in the software? It's greyed out, I added a screenshot of it, a few messages ago. I like the software, it looks simple and clear to use.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:15 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
FTDI send (tx) and receive (rx) is about as native comport as you get these days for sending and receiving serial. there really is no advantage to going to comport, and its the same affect anyway.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by evoscan
Nope, EvoScan is not locked to any cables. Yep its a stock FTDI UART cable, but it has diodes, resistors, inverters, mitsubishi plug, and a working driver. Thats what you get for your money.
It's worth mentioning that the OpenPort 1.x schematics were also posted freely on the internet. The Evo open-source tuning era was really an amazing time. The amount of free information, ROMs, and tuning information for the Evo has spoiled me. I'm always disappointed when I look at what's available for other platforms.

Good to see you're still around, Hamish.

Quick Reply: ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions