Notices
ECU Flash

ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Sorry for my newbiness, but I haven't got any answers in the past from searching.

What on earth are people using to view their logs through evoscan? I've heard you can use Microsoft Excel?

Do I have to pay for Excel?

What are some other options to plot out/view your logs???

Any tips or advice on this would be MUCH appreciated...

Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats Microsoft Excel (MS Excel). Its a spreadsheet program that can convert .csv (comma seperated value) text files to spreadsheet files (.xls) which you use for analysis and graphing.

There are other spreadsheet programs out there which you may already own. Also Microsoft Works (included with many PCs) has limited a spreadsheet program.

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
Sorry for my newbiness, but I haven't got any answers in the past from searching.

What on earth are people using to view their logs through evoscan? I've heard you can use Microsoft Excel?

Last edited by my-red-rs; Jan 19, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

I use Data Log Lab for a graphic view of my logs.

I am a newbie to tuning and I find it helps me alot to view the logs graphically.

Here is a link to Data Log Lab http://www.dataloglab.com/

regards
Gudmundur
Old Jan 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally use Data Log Lab, and have worked with the author to get the different log file formats supported for our cars (Utec, Mitsulogger, Evoscan) Its a great program, and I agree a graphical view really does give a much better "picture" (No pun intended) of a sample of time, but better yet, the time with relation to other points in time and other data.

I find that although I can look at a raw log file, in Excel or even a text editor, its a little hard for me to trace through and a bit harder to look at to find what you would consider important, its more obvious when your logs are longer than a few seconds. (Mine can be an hour long)
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I personally use Data Log Lab, and have worked with the author to get the different log file formats supported for our cars (Utec, Mitsulogger, Evoscan) Its a great program, and I agree a graphical view really does give a much better "picture" (No pun intended) of a sample of time, but better yet, the time with relation to other points in time and other data.

I find that although I can look at a raw log file, in Excel or even a text editor, its a little hard for me to trace through and a bit harder to look at to find what you would consider important, its more obvious when your logs are longer than a few seconds. (Mine can be an hour long)

Thanks, I gave it a 30 day try, and after the help you and gudmundur have given me, I'll probably be purchasing it after the trial is up.

One quick question is (Possibly already answered?) How accurate is the Power Graph? If its been already asked, I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Brent
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have been wondering this myself .. from other power graphs I have seen on here I have assumed it is ~90% accurate. Most of the time it seems to be higher than whp dyno numbers.

Ofcoz this is all dependent upon the data you enter into the Power Graph window and other factors in your datalog pull .. like is there a slight slope where you run etc. etc.

But this is just what I have assumed so if I am wrong could please someone correct me

regards
Gudmundur
Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

I happen to agree.. Its fairly close, but its a reasonable estimation for tuning, which its its only value, the trick is to always test in the same location and try to test under similar environmental conditions.

Just like anything else in life, Garbage in, Garbage out. The Results are only as good as the data, in general the MUT data is "Decent" but not entirely precise so you will see some error introduced, along with anything that you had to guess for weight, frontal area, drag, tire size, gearing.. All that is important is you keep the settings consistent. It almost always reads a little higher as its a bit optimistic, generally if you can get the laden weight of your car, and a few other parameters closer, it should read "Fairly" close to the dynojet numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gudmundur
I have been wondering this myself .. from other power graphs I have seen on here I have assumed it is ~90% accurate. Most of the time it seems to be higher than whp dyno numbers.

Ofcoz this is all dependent upon the data you enter into the Power Graph window and other factors in your datalog pull .. like is there a slight slope where you run etc. etc.

But this is just what I have assumed so if I am wrong could please someone correct me

regards
Gudmundur
Actually, without knowing the exact computation used it is pretty hard to say. I've now posted calculations for power from RPM without SAE (stationary dyno), with SAE (moving vehicle), RPM and speed, and RPM and accel in various threads here. With good accel input, I've had the numbers come out suprisingly close to a dyno.

But, ultimately, I'm with MJ. The key isn't accuracy, but repeatability. Sure, it is great to know absolute numbers, but relative numbers are more important in tuning. Did change X improve power or diminish it? In that case the key to dyno computations on street numbers is minimizing variables (same location, runs in the same direction), and measuring what you can. I know a lot of folks don't bother plugging in, say, real atmospheric conditions, but if you are looking for 2 or 3whp, not bothering can add more error to your numbers than the tweak you are trying to achieve.

-jjf
Old Jan 20, 2007, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks for the info. It'd be interesting to see/hear if someone on here has dyno'd their car, and then did a DLL/Powergraph to see how close the numbers were? Says on their site that the numbers are within an average of 2-5% if I recall correctly.

Anyway, all the help is appreciated. I WILL be buying DLL once my 30 days is up!!!

Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

ECU ID vs. Internal ID

I have a map backed up from my ECU via ECUFlash. It does not show an "ECU ID" (that field under ROM info is empty), but it does show an "Internal ID". Is that the same thing? If not, where do I find my ECU ID? using ECUFlash v1.29
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ill_take_one

If you don't it will make me sad
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by my-red-rs
Thats Microsoft Excel (MS Excel). Its a spreadsheet program that can convert .csv (comma seperated value) text files to spreadsheet files (.xls) which you use for analysis and graphing.

There are other spreadsheet programs out there which you may already own. Also Microsoft Works (included with many PCs) has limited a spreadsheet program.
If you want to use a spreadsheet, you can use Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/), which is free to download.

Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by codgi
If you don't it will make me sad

Relax, I've already said I'm purchasing DLL for my graphing.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by voidhawk
I have a map backed up from my ECU via ECUFlash. It does not show an "ECU ID" (that field under ROM info is empty), but it does show an "Internal ID". Is that the same thing? If not, where do I find my ECU ID? using ECUFlash v1.29

Sorry, ECUID and Internal ID are used interchangably, its the same thing, at least when I refer to it, as the label on the ECU's case is unimportant when we're dealing with reflashing.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Sorry, ECUID and Internal ID are used interchangably, its the same thing, at least when I refer to it, as the label on the ECU's case is unimportant when we're dealing with reflashing.
Thanks

Quick Reply: ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions