Notices
ECU Flash

ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a question regarding ecuflash..
I have the program set to advanced and developer but doesn't change anything..I am trying to set my boost cut delay timer but the feild is gray (not black) and will not let me edit it like a normal feild..It shows up this way on a stock map as well as my re-flash which I am trying to fine tune.. I have searched but have found nothing so far..Any ideas??

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Jan 21, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like the definition your using for your rom is either wrong or incomplete, so you have all the base definitions, but are missing the details that tell it where to look.

Try to search for a new XML file on OpenECU. ITs possible the first time you opened it and it didn't match anything, so it asked if you wanted to use a different definition (to use one or inherit from one) typically I see this when you open a file by inheriting from the base (evo7 or evo9) definitions
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Also, what version of ECUFlash are you using? It looks like 1.26 in that screencap, definitely update it to 1.28 or 1.29a
Old Jan 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sure enough I forgot that I never updated the version to 1.29a on my desktop..I have updated it and all is fine now..Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Try to search for a new XML file on OpenECU. ITs possible the first time you opened it and it didn't match anything, so it asked if you wanted to use a different definition (to use one or inherit from one) typically I see this when you open a file by inheriting from the base (evo7 or evo9) definitions
So how do you make ECUFlash recognize and use the same XML as the number on the car's ECU lable?

When I originally started (almost 1yr ago) my ROM X/Y values were all messed up so I managed to somehow load the same xml as my ECU # and it worked fine except for "stepper lookup X value".

Now I put the newer ECUFlash 1.29 on a different computer and it uses a wrong xml (94170008 to my corresponding ecu 96420008) but the problem with the stepper is solved, works fine, but window size changing with the cursur doesn't work, and there is an unusual square character (size of character depends on number of cells in parameter!) between the check box and the parameter.

Worked for one day but now I get a "XmlHandlerHelper Parse error - unexpected character" when I attempt to open EcuFlash.

I have a feeling that EcuFlash doesn't recognize my ECU # which I manually fixed with 1.28 and with the newer version is trying to add 94170008 to it to fix.

I don't know

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Jan 23, 2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, How EcuFlash 1.29 identifies ROMs is shown right in the XML files. It is usually something like:

<internalidaddress>f52</internalidaddress>
<internalidhex>98720010</internalidhex>

At a byte offset of 0xF52 into the binary file, a string of bytes is expected. Sometimes the internalid is in a string format.

The program does seem to put a few things in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\EcuFlash, so you might use regedit to see if it is saving a particular association.

I don't know what XML parser is being used internally, but it sounds like it is opening a file and hitting a parsing error.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-jjf
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ interestingly enough EvoScan writes to HKLM as well. But while EcuFlash also writes to HKCU (means that a true non admin can fully use the registry values)...EvoScan only seems to write to HKLM (might be hiding somewhere else I didn't poke around too much).

Of course this doesn't matter if these keys aren't ever written to by the user. But if they are...EvoScan really should write to HKCU as well since this doesn't need an admin account to be written to.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
So how do you make ECUFlash recognize and use the same XML as the number on the car's ECU lable?

When I originally started (almost 1yr ago) my ROM X/Y values were all messed up so I managed to somehow load the same xml as my ECU # and it worked fine except for "stepper lookup X value".

Now I put the newer ECUFlash 1.29 on a different computer and it uses a wrong xml (94170008 to my corresponding ecu 96420008) but the problem with the stepper is solved, works fine, but window size changing with the cursur doesn't work, and there is an unusual square character (size of character depends on number of cells in parameter!) between the check box and the parameter.

Worked for one day but now I get a "XmlHandlerHelper Parse error - unexpected character" when I attempt to open EcuFlash.

I have a feeling that EcuFlash doesn't recognize my ECU # which I manually fixed with 1.28 and with the newer version is trying to add 94170008 to it to fix.

I don't know
What version is the other computer running? Is it the same 1.29? If so what happens if you copy across the rom metadata files from the computer that works to the one that doesn't?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

I did some logging with EvoScan today. Questions: is "MAP" (which I assume stands for Manifold Air Pressure ?) the same as boost pressure? I'm suspicous, because if that's so, this is the flattest boost curve I've ever seen ... also, what units is it measured in?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:12 PM

i have an older tactrix cable I got to use on my wife's wrx. does anyone know if I can make it work with my evo? it doesn't have the extra plug like the new ones have.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

You can log with it, but you can't flash with it.. The extra connector is what allows you to trigger the bootstrap for reflashing.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

For the graph above, the "Map" sensor on the EVO is an MDP sensor, it really only reads engine vacuum and a few psi above sea level, so its a "1 Bar" sensor, hence why it flatlines almost immediately..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
For the graph above, the "Map" sensor on the EVO is an MDP sensor, it really only reads engine vacuum and a few psi above sea level, so its a "1 Bar" sensor, hence why it flatlines almost immediately..
That's makes more sense, thanks . I have a follow on though: if the ECU doesn't measure boost pressure at all, but "Load" is roughly proportional to boost - how is load calculated? I guess my question is, how does the ECU "know" what the boost pressure is, or does is not need to know? Also, rumor has it that

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
AFAIK only JDM/UK IX have the 3 bar MAP sensor.
If I retrofit my (USDM) evo with the JDM/UK 3bar MAP sensor, will that confuse the snot out of the ECU? It seems like a better solution than adding (yet another) boost sensor to log via Zeitronix.

Last edited by voidhawk; Jan 24, 2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will the cable that is sold with the pocketloggers work with mitsulogger?

It has a serial output and does not have the extra connector for flashing, but that shouldnt matter as all i want to do it log...

also when I click start logging (with the cable not connected) I get prompted that the application was unable to load DLL "FTD2XX.DLL' I am assuming that this is normal since the cable is not connected, correct?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

You probably won't be able to use that cable. If its a basic converter like a "Jeff's" cable, the 2.0 version of Unilogger (mitsulogger) will work with it, as I've changed how the cable is read, but in current versions its specific to the Tactrix cable, the error is due to no Tactrix cable and driver being installed.

Quick Reply: ECUFlash / Evoscan / Mitsulogger Questions