Notices
ECU Flash

Evo IX Ignition map differences / Boost Desired Load / Lean Spool questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX Ignition map differences / Boost Desired Load / Lean Spool questions

There is some debate as to what purpose the 3 IX ignition timing tables are for. what is correct?

High Octane Ignition Map 1 - cold start
High Octane Ignition Map 2 - regular map for healty cars
High Octane Ignition Map 3 - DTC safety map

or

IX's interpolate between 2 or possibly all 3 ignition maps during regular driving which would lend to tuning 1 and 2 the same, while leaving 3 alone OR Tuning all 3 based on their purpose (If their purpose is known)

Observations

Map 1 is more aggressive in some cells than Map2 (for example load cell 240 map 1 has 3*, while Map 2 only has 2*). Why would Map 1 which I thought was for warm up, have more agressive timing in load cell 240. Keeping in mind that you are likely to be WOT to be in the 240 load cell. In other areas of the ignition maps 1 is more agressive than 2.

Okay that brings me to another question concerning safety. How do you go about safely tuning your low octane fuel map? Would it in fact be safe on a car that for example required extra fueling. My High Octane fuel map appears to be richer than the Low Octane fuel map - combine that with higher boost levels and I'm not sure the safety map is safe in stock form. I'm guessing the combination of low octane fuel map and low octane ignition maps may make them safe but is it possible that the ECU could run the low fuel map with a high ignition map?

Is the stock boost timer value acceptable? 1000ms What exactly happens if you go over your boost limit for 1000ms's? - fuel cut?

I have my Boost Desired Engine Load Values set at max because I'm not running my EBC right now and I'd like to get the most boost out of the BCS's. I've never removed my boost limiting orface from the boost hose because I normally use a EBC. Are there better values to use for my purposes?

Lean Spool Questions

Changing the value from 224 to 240 only extends the lean spool to a higher RPM range... correct? Can it be moved even higher (off the map for example) My target AFR's are in the high 8's to low 9's to achive 11.1 AFR. Would it be better if lean spool was turned off completely? Does it matter if I have 8's and 9's in my fuel table as long as I'm able to achive my REAL AFR targets? Does this affect fuel trims adversely? If it would be better to turn it off, how exactly is that done?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've changed my boost limit timer to 500ms, but it was already fairly quick when I had it at 1000. I'm not even sure the units are ms.

You can change lean spool disable to 255 if you like. Or you could move it to the same as the enable to get rid of it entirely, then your fuel map will richen by about 1 AFR I reckon. JohnBradley has done this I think. It doesn't matter if your fuel map AFR and WB AFR disagree. WB AFR is all that matter.

For low octane you could just take 5 or 10 degrees off your high octane map, and richen by say 10% in the boost areas.

I have hi oct 1,2 the same, 3 is retarded by 1 degree. I copied the FQ360 in this respect. There are some unknown status bytes that cause the ECU to interpolate between 2 and 1 in one state and 2 and 3 in the other.

Having boost desired engine load at max (if the offset is also high enough - say 159 in both) will just mean you get the max WG duty at any time. A "better" but more involved method would be to set real targets - eg I could use offset at 120 and targets at 150 or 160 to target 270 or 280 midrange). I have my overboost set at 300. Then adjust the restrictor/actuator setup to allow you to run your target at less than 100% duty cycle. Then set the duty cycle so you get a brief and small peak over your target, and the ECU will control your boost closed loop to your targets. This means you can program in your taper and at least get the held boost similar through 2-6th gear even if you get higher peaks in the higher gears. It is a balancing act to get the duty just high enough but not so high it oscillates. You may wish to flatten the turbo boost error correction across the table so it isn't as fierce with its closed loop control. This makes it smoother (and slower) to correct overboost. This is like reducing the gain or feedback speed on a boost controller.

Big post, from you and I, hope this all makes sense!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have seen on the few I have tuned on the dyno, they seem to move between map 2 and map3 during a 3rd gear pull using map 2 in the low / midrange and map 3 up top, could be mivec related I suppose.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys, I rescaled my fuel map with lean spool completely disabled. I must say I think it's easier to tune with it gone. Does anyone know of any negative side effects of doing this? I know I was able to get my AFR's solid as a rock and on target. When I first did it I was a little lean coming into boost in 5th and 6th but I think that part of the fuel map just needed a little work. Seems to be doing great now.